By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How satisfied are you with the graphics of the games of the current generation?

How tolerant are you with the possibility of graphic stagnation?

Intolerant. Wouldn't buy ... 8 13.33%

Tolerant, but very unsati... 5 8.33%

Tolerant. Would support i... 26 43.33%

Very Tolerant, don't care... 21 35.00%

Total:60

I'm happy with them...then again I was happy with the SNES graphics, and happy with the N64 graphics, and Gamecube after that. I'm not going to complain if the graphics look even better this generation, but I do think current games look great! I do hope that PSVR 2 games look quite a bit better though and get more immersive.

Around the Network

The graphics are fine, the pop in and especially long loading times are horrendous. Tlou2 and Death Stranding look amazing, but take forever to load. Plus I'm hoping flying games make a comeback thanks to super fast SSD. They don't have to be detail limited anymore due to slow data streaming.

The biggest improvement will be in PSVR games, PSVR 2.0 day one buy.

I think even Switch is good enough for me. Things look great and just fine with them. I'm not the best person to ask as playing ZOE2 on PS4 I was more taken back how good that game still looks and very bored how games with total realism no matter how good on a technical level look. They just don't impress me. El Shaddai still looks great. Wind Waker. Okami. I love the art with Daemon X Machina or Astral Chain. Ruiner on PS4. Nex Machina on PS4. Dues Ex Mankind Divided. Yakuza games look great to me. Sakura Wars. Gravity Rush. Earth's Dawn. Wonderboy. SOR4. Hardcore Mecha.RiME. Nier Automata. Hell, I am still impressed by Blue Dragon and LO on 360. Stil impressed with Shenmue on DC. That said. If PS4 generation went on another few years I would be just fine with it.

Art direction is vastly more important to me than technical shit. Tho to be fair. I still play Satun games on a CRT in the other room. Old 2D consoles as well. So eh.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm a graphics whore and I welcome any and all further advancement in the medium, but if graphics never got better than TLOU2 I'd still be happy. I'm more interested in seeing more dynamism and interactivity in game worlds than 4k this and that.

Wman1996 said:

I really wish Animal Crossing: New Horizons were 60 FPS. 

You could make graphics only slightly better on PS5 and Xbox Series X, but if most games ran 2160p/60fps I would have few complaints.

LOL I wish it at least run at 30 FPS. I'm suffering from strong framerate drop for a while now. I know my island is cluttered but I find this leg unacceptable for a game like this

Around the Network

I'm satisfied. Nice visual design is a plus, but I just don't get this push for 4k, high res, hyper realistic textures and whatnot for most games. I'm still happy with the visuals my Switch puts out tbh. MOST games don't need to look better -- not when 60fps could become standard instead.

I will say that there is one major exception. We reached a sort of benchmark with TLOU2 where the visuals and mocap are so detailed that the actors have much more freedom ot express themselves through subtle facial expressions and body language. This absolutely does elevate the experience. I would like to see how much further this can be taken for those kinds of realistic, story driven games.

I am at the point where I kind of wish the graphics would get worse.  Too much money is spent toward graphics.  All they do is improve the resolution and then I play the game and I'm still bored.  The budgets of these games are so high, that companies don't want to risk making a new type of game.  I am tired of pretty games.  I want novel and experimental games.  

On the other end of the spectrum we have indie titles which are definitely more novel and experimental, but their budgets tend to be too low.  It's like I get to choose.  Do I play a predictable but pretty game with a $50m budget or a basic but experimental game with a $500k budget.  I tend to wish there were a lot more experimental games with a $5m budget.  Dear AAA developer, please cancel your $50m sequel game and make 10 experimental games with a $5m budget instead. 

I really don't need graphics to be cutting edge.  Different visuals are often better than cutting edge.  Cuphead is different and is the type of game where I get excited about the visuals.  But games that simply improve the resolution and other technical aspects tend to be pretty boring.  I'd rather the money be spent on better design instead of better graphics.

Artistry matters more than graphics. That said, if companies are expecting me to pay $500+ for new hardware, they need to justify that cost somehow.

Im fine with graphics as they are... however, if thats the case, then theres no need for new hardware.
If games arnt getting better looking, you arn't getting me to buy new hardware.

mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

LOL I wish it at least run at 30 FPS. I'm suffering from strong framerate drop for a while now. I know my island is cluttered but I find this leg unacceptable for a game like this

What leg?

I meant lag*

Furniture (and other items) aren't rendered at the same time the camera is moving, so some items suddenly "appear" or "disappear" on the screen. I recorded this happening here:

You can already notice some framerate drops here and there, but trust me, it's far worse when I'm playing online multiplayer