By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - No more Gold? 12 month XBLG membership discontinued!

sales2099 said:
vivster said:

Well, there are about a billion examples of new subscription schemes replacing older ones being worse than before, so I'm not holding my breath. If anything pulling a service before the announcement of a new service to replace it could indicate that they do not want people to still get the better subscription model.

I would like to remind everyone that this is the same company that:

1. Locked online play behind a paywall.

2. Openly tried to do aggressive online DRM.

3. Suggested that people should buy outdated devices if they don't like the bullshit on the new one.

If you curb your optimism now you won't be too triggered when the disappointment comes.

Ya 2 and 3 are from the same guy, Don Mattrick. Pretty sure Xbox doesn’t like his business model and paid for it the last 7 years. 

It's probably really comforting to believe that that's the case.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
PotentHerbs said:

I'm not sure how reliable Tom Warren is, compared to someone like Brad Sams, but the latter has suggested multiplayer will be locked to a Games Pass subscription, which is the absolute worse case scenario for the industry. I feel like Sony and Nintendo would follow suit in terms of increasing the cost to play online if MS did this.

Unless the plan is to get rid of Xbox Live Gold, that won't happen. Because Live Gold becomes useless.

And if that happens, what is Gamepass Ultimate for?

MS is raising the price of Gold if there is no longer a 12 month option. Gamepass Ultimate users are the only people that might not care.

I’m thinking of PS Plus when it was first introduced. Multiplayer was free but it gave away games per month and marketplace value. 

If these rumours are true, that’s what Gold can transition into. With digital purchases now over 50%, Gold can be used to get deeper discounts and still get free games per month. It would of course stay bundled with GP Ultimate. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

vivster said:
sales2099 said:

Ya 2 and 3 are from the same guy, Don Mattrick. Pretty sure Xbox doesn’t like his business model and paid for it the last 7 years. 

It's probably really comforting to believe that that's the case.

Two can play at this game. “You can get a second job to afford the PS3”. “Rumble is a last gen feature”. 

Companies change and adapt over the years. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Mr Puggsly said:
PotentHerbs said:

I'm not sure how reliable Tom Warren is, compared to someone like Brad Sams, but the latter has suggested multiplayer will be locked to a Games Pass subscription, which is the absolute worse case scenario for the industry. I feel like Sony and Nintendo would follow suit in terms of increasing the cost to play online if MS did this.

Unless the plan is to get rid of Xbox Live Gold, that won't happen. Because Live Gold becomes useless.

MS is raising the price of Gold if there is no longer a 12 month option. Gamepass Ultimate users are the only people that might not care.

Well, XBL Gold seems to be getting phased out, if Jeff Grubb, Tom Warren, and Brad Sams are to be believed. 

Whether this means online multiplayer becomes free, online becomes locked to a GP subscription, or a lower tier GP entry is introduced, remains to be seen.

mjk45 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Would replacing gold with a gamepass sub for the same price work ? I have gold but no game pass since I now use my xbox for exclusives and my time playing MP has declined year on year since its peak on the 360 leading me to look at ending my gold sub when it finishes up in November but game pass combined with online .could work in MS's favor when it comes to gamers like me.

It would essentially be a massive price hike to play online if MS decided to lock multiplayer behind a GP subscription. As great a value as Games Pass offers, I can't see this going over well with their userbase.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
mjk45 said:

Would replacing gold with a gamepass sub for the same price work ? I have gold but no game pass since I now use my xbox for exclusives and my time playing MP has declined year on year since its peak on the 360 leading me to look at ending my gold sub when it finishes up in November but game pass combined with online .could work in MS's favor when it comes to gamers like me.

It would essentially be a massive price hike to play online if MS decided to lock multiplayer behind a GP subscription. As great a value as Games Pass offers, I can't see this going over well with their userbase.

That's why I put in the proviso that it be the same price  as the original gold sub.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

vivster said:
The optimism in this thread makes me think that people might be forgetting that Microsoft is, in fact, a corporation.

A corporation that tried to do this and only pulled back because of all the backlash and cancelled pre-orders:

KManX89 said:
vivster said:
The optimism in this thread makes me think that people might be forgetting that Microsoft is, in fact, a corporation.

A corporation that tried to do this and only pulled back because of all the backlash and cancelled pre-orders:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, are you claiming that the XBone was originally going to have free online multiplayer along with the things listed in the image? I don't follow Xbox stuff super closely but I feel like I would've remembered that. 

edit: based on how Sales is responding I guess this is more a refutation that MS would go with free online. Figured I was misunderstanding something. nvm then. 

Last edited by Torillian - on 22 July 2020

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Ya mark my words if ya smart! Trust mees, I know the stuffs! I've got insiiide sources up to Dumbo's ears and they are more reliable than Jules Verne's poetry recited by a straping Tennessee lad to a North Dokatoan Latino on a cold summer day.

sales2099 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I’m thinking of PS Plus when it was first introduced. Multiplayer was free but it gave away games per month and marketplace value. 

If these rumours are true, that’s what Gold can transition into. With digital purchases now over 50%, Gold can be used to get deeper discounts and still get free games per month. It would of course stay bundled with GP Ultimate. 

I doubt that because PS Plus didn't have many subscribers until it was required for online play.

Whatever the plan is, online play will be stuck behind a paywall because it encourages a massive number of subscriptions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)