By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - No more Gold? 12 month XBLG membership discontinued!

Engadget article

An interesting approach on Microsoft's side. Will, they only offer a one-size-fits-all Gamepass option, that will include all their services? Or maybe this is the first step before introducing a long list of options. What's your take?

Honestly, I think that they are preparing a several tier Gamepass solution, and they are getting rid of Gold, for better overall visibility of their product, and to become less confusing for the end-user. I hope Sony will follow and won't go down on a different route.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:

Engadget article

An interesting approach on Microsoft's side. Will, they only offer a one-size-fits-all Gamepass option, that will include all their services? Or maybe this is the first step before introducing a long list of options. What's your take?

Honestly, I think that they are preparing a several tier Gamepass solution, and they are getting rid of Gold, for better overall visibility of their product, and to become less confusing for the end-user. I hope Sony will follow and won't go down on a different route.

Makes sense since their very own games on PC and Steam don't require a membership to play Multiplayer etc.

This is potentially good news. They don’t want people to buy 1 year of Gold if they gonna announce something that makes those people feel ripped off.

I’m thinking of when Ps Plus was introduced. Multiplayer was completely free but PS Plus was used as a marketplace value proposition. I think that’s what Gold may be transitioned into. Deeper sales on games and free games every month. Of course bundle it with GP Ultimate.

Really hope this is true. Xbox having free online would give a considerable edge on the competition and falls in line with their “breaking down barriers” and pro consumer philosophy 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

This is potentially good news. They don’t want people to buy 1 year of Gold if they gonna announce something that makes those people feel ripped off.

I’m thinking of when Ps Plus was introduced. Multiplayer was completely free but PS Plus was used as a marketplace value proposition. I think that’s what Gold may be transitioned into. Deeper sales on games and free games every month. Of course bundle it with GP Ultimate.

Really hope this is true. Xbox having free online would give a considerable edge on the competition and falls in line with their “breaking down barriers” and pro consumer philosophy 

Yupp. I do hope that they will make online free going forward. In all honesty, that was something that bugged me with all the subscriptions, and especially when it had the absolutely bare-bones approach ala Nintendo Online. If MS will take the first step, Sony and Nintendo will need to follow.

hunter_alien said:
sales2099 said:

Yupp. I do hope that they will make online free going forward. In all honesty, that was something that bugged me with all the subscriptions, and especially when it had the absolutely bare-bones approach ala Nintendo Online. If MS will take the first step, Sony and Nintendo will need to follow.

Imo Nintendo could easily roll it back. They only charge $25 and their success can warrant it. Sony on the other hand would be blindsided and would have to either live with the PR or take a considerable monetary hit to match Xbox. 

Hope we get an announcement in the August hardware and services event, this giving me butterflies :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

The optimism in this thread makes me think that people might be forgetting that Microsoft is, in fact, a corporation.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
The optimism in this thread makes me think that people might be forgetting that Microsoft is, in fact, a corporation.

True, but at the same time a free multiplayer approach could strengthen their position on the market, so that could be a positive outcome. There were examples of companies walking back on bad practices, see multiplayer passes. Maybe we are on the verge to see the same with multiplayer paywalls as well.

vivster said:

Corporation are reactionary. Just like during the 7th gen when Sony wasn't as dominant. They did consumer friendly things to get back on track. Now Microsoft is in the position where they have to give even if it hurts. If it works, Sony will respond and we consumers get the benefits.

vivster said:

Potential surge in Game Pass subs >>>>>> Gold revenue 

From a corporate standpoint it makes sense. Also the surge in PR and snowball effect knowing your primary competition would still charge for multiplayer. 

hunter_alien said:
vivster said:

True, but at the same time a free multiplayer approach could strengthen their position on the market, so that could be a positive outcome. There were examples of companies walking back on bad practices, see multiplayer passes. Maybe we are on the verge to see the same with multiplayer paywalls as well.

d21lewis said:
vivster said:

Corporation are reactionary. Just like during the 7th gen when Sony wasn't as dominant. They did consumer friendly things to get back on track. Now Microsoft is in the position where they have to give even if it hurts. If it works, Sony will respond and we consumers get the benefits.

sales2099 said:
vivster said:

Potential surge in Game Pass subs >>>>>> Gold revenue 

From a corporate standpoint it makes sense. Also the surge in PR and snowball effect knowing your primary competition would still charge for multiplayer. 

Well, there are about a billion examples of new subscription schemes replacing older ones being worse than before, so I'm not holding my breath. If anything pulling a service before the announcement of a new service to replace it could indicate that they do not want people to still get the better subscription model.

I would like to remind everyone that this is the same company that:

1. Locked online play behind a paywall.

2. Openly tried to do aggressive online DRM.

3. Suggested that people should buy outdated devices if they don't like the bullshit on the new one.

If you curb your optimism now you won't be too triggered when the disappointment comes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.