By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - The Wave (new wave, synthwave, retrowave, 80s pop genres)

When wave actually meant specific waveform patterns, dat square and triangle △ ⬜

Does this even count?

or some modern remasters

Around the Network
Dallinor said:

Nice ones. Glad to see that Miami Nights video reuploaded; the original was the first vid I added to my playlist. Hadn't heard the other two before but they're bangers.

This is my go-to writing music these days. Love metal but I just can't focus on writing when listening to it. 

I'm addicted to this stuff (at least the non vocal stuff). I tend to be more into the retro/synthwave that leans on the melodic and techno side, rather than the more 80s-sounding cheesy vocal or poppy stuff. Though I can't get enough of this one lately:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

The Cars, are one of the foundational "wave" bands, although their sound delves more into 1970s power pop, which is more like the precursor for bands like Pixies and grunge/alternative music. Kurt Cobain's early guitar work dealt with learning how to play songs by The Cars. Also, one of the very last songs he ever played was My Best Friend's Girl. Anyway, if you like early New Wave, particularly bands like Blondie, you'll appreciate this:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

This song dropped a couple of weeks ago. I was never really a fan of Miley Cyrus's music before this, although I did like her abrasive toward the culture personality. I'm a big fan of this musical direction she's taken.

Around the Network

Do you listen to dream pop... I got into the band Beach House... well it doesnt help that my crush is apparently into that band :P

I feel Dream Pop/Shoegaze is kind of like the child of the forgotten middle child between New Wave and Post Punk, known as Dark Wave.

New Wave, as we know it, is the eldest child of Disco and Powerpop, but raised by Powerpop's older sibling, Punk. So early New Wave bands like Blondie, the Gogos, and Talking Heads largely got their start in the punk scene, like CBGB in New York. Blondie came out with Power Pop songs like this which happened to have Destri on keyboards:

Punk had its own child, Post Punk, and there was sort of something between New Wave (and its twin sibling Synthpop*) and Punk and embraced a number of other styles, and somehow this other child existed between New Wave and Post Punk that was kind of ignored, people kept mistaking it for post-punk and/or new wave, but she was really her own person: Dark Wave. Dark Wave bands included Siouxsie and the Banshees and Cocteau Twins, who kind of jumped back and forth between New Wave and Post Punk. And they began playing music kind of like this:

And the above is an early example of what became known as Dreampop or Shoegaze.

Cocteau Twins helped build the label 4AD, which became largely synonymous with the Dreampop/Shoegaze sound, which IMO is more of in the alternative family: speaking of which, 4AD was also home to Pixies (Noise pop, a late 80s variant of power pop) and The Breeders (a grunge style band) in the 1990s; a parallel of Grunge music, who is kind of a grandchild of power pop + hardcore punk, and avant-garde + folk-rock. But I'm getting off topic, by 1990, we had one of my favourite Shoegaze bands, Lush:

So, it's definitely a cousin, but I would say it's in the powerpop/alternative rock family more than the wave/Synthpop family.

* New Wave and Synthpop look very much alike, they are twins, after all. They normally have keyboards and guitars; they have one difference, Synthpop always has keyboards while sometimes drops the guitars, and New Wave always has guitars while it sometimes drops the keyboards.

But Lush DOES have a relationship with Synthpop as Ladytron's Daniel Hunt produced Lush's comeback album.

Ladytron is a great band:

Some 2020 pop-wave songs:

(Not entirely sure if the last one counts, but it's still a great 80's sounding pop song.)

Jumpin said:

This song dropped a couple of weeks ago. I was never really a fan of Miley Cyrus's music before this, although I did like her abrasive toward the culture personality. I'm a big fan of this musical direction she's taken.

I feel like her voice just works a lot better for songs like these than for the screechy pop songs or the lowkey RnB she used to do. She was also great on Mark Ronson's Nothing Breaks Like A Heart.