By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LEGO NES Set Revealed

Very cute

Around the Network

Yeah, I think this is a really cool idea! I like it much more than the regular Mario set. It's getting such a mixed response on Twitter, though. Mostly due to its price. I mean, why are people so surprised that Lego is expensive?!

These are short sighted gimmicks compared to the actual cross over potential.
In other words: where are LEGO Mario games?

The fake plastic model of a console is more expensive than actual consoles. You can get a Switch Lite, PS4 and XBO all cheaper than this. I guess they can afford to charge so much because they're such a strong brand with little competition in this precise area.

I have no interest in it directly, but may want to buy it to impress women.

She could spin the crank that makes Mario jump around, then I come in with my giant BJ Blazkowicz doll from Wolfenstein 2 and SMASH everything. Or vice versa. Then nature takes it's course.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Barkley said:
The fake plastic model of a console is more expensive than actual consoles. You can get a Switch Lite, PS4 and XBO all cheaper than this. I guess they can afford to charge so much because they're such a strong brand with little competition in this precise area.

Lego sets like this are always at this price point. It also depents on the amount of pieces.

Simpsons house and Kwik-E Mart are close to the price of this.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

CaptainExplosion said:
LivingMetal said:

No.  Just saying not everyone "gets off" the same way.

I'm not getting off to a piece of plastic. Do you know how many Lysol wipes that would need afterwards? And there's still the problem of someone bringing in the blue light.

That's why I can't get off to anything that's not the form of a consenting adult woman 18 years or older.

So that explains the shortage during the pandemic.  Good show, Watson!

Looks really cool but the cost is too much for me.

CaptainExplosion said:
Slownenberg said:
I am very surprised by these responses. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay the cost of a video game system for a lego model of a video game system. Thats insane. Like literally you build it, set it on your shelf, and you're done with it. It's not even a toy you can play with

You CAN play with it. Didn't you see the scrolling Mario Bros. gameplay that you can simulate on the little TV by turning the crank? Or how if you have the LEGO Mario set you can put the Mario LEGO figure on the TV for added sound effects?

Something tells me you didn't watch the trailer, you just went right to "It's just LEGO, hurr hurr!!".

I mean I guess if you call turning a crank "playing". You'd probably be the only one in the world though. hurr hurr

It's like if you said putting a disc into a PS4 is playing a ps4 and you're happy to spend several hundred dollars to play with putting a disc into a machine.

Like I said, it's a $250 lego model of a NES and TV that you can't even play with. It's an extremely expensive shelf filler.

DPsx7 said:
Slownenberg said:
I am very surprised by these responses. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay the cost of a video game system for a lego model of a video game system. Thats insane. Like literally you build it, set it on your shelf, and you're done with it. It's not even a toy you can play with, it's just a model that sits on your shelf and costs as much as a video game system. I would figure it would sell a few thousand copies to really hardcore gaming memorabilia collectors and that's it.

Now if it had a chipset you laid within the lego build and it actually played Nintendo games that'd be one thing, still way overpriced even with that but it'd be cool to have a working lego NES. But as a lego model that does nothing I can't fathom why this would cost more than a NES mini and why anyone would pay for it.

Fanboys like to joke about competitor systems sitting on a shelf collecting dust, but that is literally what this is, and costs the same as an actual video game system.

Lego has always been expensive. Look around at some of the other 'adult' sets. Starwars, Technic, Simpsons, these sets have thousands of pieces and cost a few hundred. I guess you can say you're paying for the experience of building it.

But the difference is that those things you can actually play with. There's ships and environments and figures and stuff. This is just a fake NES and fake TV. There's nothing to "do" with it. You unload $250 from your bank account, you build it, maybe you turn the crank for 5 minutes and say "oh cool", then it sits on your shelf gathering dust until you find some sucker to sell it to. It's a model, not a toy, that costs as much as a video game system.

Anyone who thinks there is something to play with here is gonna be very upset at having wasted $250 on a model.