By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the new generation have an impact on Nintendo Switch sales?

It will probably have a small impact, but not that much. I could see the most severe impact being this holiday just because all the hype in the industry will be around the launch of the new systems, but then again this year the Switch is the hottest system of the past like 11 or 12 years, so as long as they have a major game like BotW2 or hell maybe even just a really stellar Mario collection like what has been rumored plus a less major new title, even this holiday impact will likely be pretty minimal.

I could see a small percentage of people who were gonna get a Switch deciding to get a one of the new systems this holiday instead, but I'm talking about it maybe hurting Nintendo's numbers by a few hundred thousand at most this holiday, and realistically Nintendo won't even be able to keep up with demand in the holidays, so in the end the systems launch probably won't affect Switch sales at all this year because every Switch Nintendo can make is gonna get sold anyways, and in the years to come, likely $500 home systems with $70 games will only marginally affect the sales of a $2XX hybrid system that is the hottest system the industry has seen in over a decade.

The new systems won't affect third party titles coming to the Switch because major 3rd party titles already don't come to the Switch, so nothing changes there. Nintendo still has a slew of first party franchises yet to come out on Switch, and likely a slew of second releases coming in the next few years, so first party software isn't going to be a problem, and the Switch will continue to be THE destination for indie games. Nintendo is coming into the release of new competitors in the best possible position (being the hottest system since they peak days of Wii and DS), Sony is of course gonna sell well, if anything I feel bad for the new Xbox, it's gonna go smashed between the double juggernaut of its more popular twin system and unstoppable Switch.

Around the Network

Nothing that will really hurt Switch by much. Switch is in a great position where it can coexist with either Xbox or Playstation console

I think is not, because Switch becomes cheaper than others and the new Unreal Engine turns Switch be able to run the same games, but de lower graphic, I hope.

Nintendo's upcoming lineup (or lack thereof) will impact the Switch's sales much more than Sony or Microsoft ever could. It is so different than the other machines that their effect would be minimal.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Nintendo's upcoming lineup (or lack thereof) will impact the Switch's sales much more than Sony or Microsoft ever could. It is so different than the other machines that their effect would be minimal.

exactly all their output is focussed on games for next gen, why have all those studio do nothing while farming the mario kart,botw and smash money

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

2020 - No. They won't be out long enough to hurt them. Plus Nintendo always does really well during the holidays. Plus new devices will have long lines. But nothing will undo the boost that Covid 19 delivered the Switch. 20-25 mil this year.

2021 - I think the popularity of the new devices will lead to massive shortages in their first year on the market. This will lead impulse buyers to give up and buy Switch. 17-20 mil this year.

2022 - This will be the year PS5/Series X beat Switch handidly. 15-17 mil this year.

2023 - 10 mil this year. Next Nintendo device announced to release March 2024.

Switch's opponent is shortages for the foreseeable future. Once that's sorted out (probably not until next year sometime with the holidays rapidly approaching), a price cut to $179/249 will help sustain sales for a bit.

No, it's too different a product. They won't impact it for the same reason sales of motorbikes don't impact sales of family cars.

The only thing that can really hurt the Switch is Nintendo.

Nope, same as it didn't affect PS4 and X1 sales. Any drop will be really because of its sales curve nearing peak.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

lol of course it will. All the attention, focus and most importantly spending will be diverted to the new systems and Switch will be old gen. Since virtually everyone already has a Ps4/Xbox1, Switch is enjoying a ton of monthly sales right now as the only system to buy. This is about to change in 4 months.