By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How do you think Sony will handle the PS4 post PS5 release?

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

It won't look like the PS3.

Key developement infrastructure like Unreal Engine 4 & Unity will ensure PS4 is still receiving games years from now.
Many developers simply do not have the resources, expertise or even the ambition to dump the PS4. Diminishing returns is something we've seen benefit Switch (it's literally the only reason it exists tbh) where the average indie game isn't that demanding to warrant skipping the system, now imagine thats the average AA/AAA. I think PS4 will actually have a post succssor life similar and maybe even longer than the PS2 for this reason.

From an internal perspective sony may drop software support for it entirely this year, hwoever I still have a strong suspicion some titles announced are cross gen but they're choosing not to speak about the PS4 version and/or are actively discussing cancelling it.

But first party support doesn't mean that much when 99% of game sales on Playstation are third party anyway.

It'll be very interesting to see how a $199 PS4 performs in the coming years.

So perhaps after not seeing a PS Three (a true slim version) we may get PSFour?

This is what I'm expecting. I also think incase sony wants to try anything experimental going forward, PS4 hardware might make for a good starting point. Similar to the PSvita being used for playstation TV. 

Around the Network
Otter said:
DonFerrari said:

So perhaps after not seeing a PS Three (a true slim version) we may get PSFour?

This is what I'm expecting. I also think incase sony wants to try anything experimental going forward, PS4 hardware might make for a good starting point. Similar to the PSvita being used for playstation TV. 

If they manage to use the another node shrink on the same hardware a true slim may be possible at 149 and that could sustain sales for another 3 years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

If they manage to use the another node shrink on the same hardware a true slim may be possible at 149 and that could sustain sales for another 3 years.

Maybe PS TV 2 with 4k capabilities. 

Does anybody think launching an All-Digital PS4 Super Slim for $149.99 alongside a $199.99 PS4 Slim and $299.99 PS4 Pro makes sense? It would be weird though to get a new PS4 model this close to the launch of the PS5? Then again, the PSOne launched in 2000 like the PS2.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Does anybody think launching an All-Digital PS4 Super Slim for $149.99 alongside a $199.99 PS4 Slim and $299.99 PS4 Pro makes sense? It would be weird though to get a new PS4 model this close to the launch of the PS5? Then again, the PSOne launched in 2000 like the PS2.

Definitely not a PS4 Pro, at the arrival of the PS5 it serves no purpose. Doesn't clearly hit any market (not super cheap, not modern anymore either) and will just take up shelf & manufacturing space. 

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

The first two yes, but the Pro even at 250 wouldn't make much sense, people that would chose the Pro due to the better spec would probably go for PS5, PS4 needs to be focused on the customer that want cheapest option.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I feel like Sony loved the transition from PS3 to PS4 so they'll try to emulate that. Keep people focused on the new hardware, and also free up manufacturing space. Also the fact that they've upped their PS5 shipping prediction to 10 million suggests they're going all in on PS5.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

I feel like Sony loved the transition from PS3 to PS4 so they'll try to emulate that. Keep people focused on the new hardware, and also free up manufacturing space. Also the fact that they've upped their PS5 shipping prediction to 10 million suggests they're going all in on PS5.

Would say that deeply depends on the Software revenue. If SW sales on PS5 picks up very fast while on PS4 dies fast (same for subs) them sure they will like a fast transition and won't bother with deep price cuts to keep PS4 alive, now if that doesn't happen....

Jpcc86 said:

The same way they handled the Ps2 and Ps3 - They'll lower the price and just keep selling them. Ps3 sold well after the Ps4 Launch.

PS3 sold 4.3m units post PS4 launch which is a much worse performance than the 40.1m PS2 sold post PS3 launch or the 26,8m PS1 sold post PS2 launch.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 16 July 2020

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Jpcc86 said:

The same way they handled the Ps2 and Ps3 - They'll lower the price and just keep selling them. Ps3 sold well after the Ps4 Launch.

PS3 sold 4.3m units post PS4 launch which is a much worse performance than the 40.1m PS2 sold post PS3 launch.

I stand corrected then, I had the impression it sold something in the line of 10m. 
Still I dont see Sony doing anything different than they have in previous gens.