By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

When we compare Spider-Man MM to H2FW we can see the distance a crossgen to exclusive can likely put.

Sure, doesn’t mean Xbox won’t show games that fall outside the cross gen window as well. Not saying it’s you but certain people forget every gen that year 1 games don’t produce the same results as mid gen games. It’s not really accurate to compare a launch game to a year 2 title 

Of course early games typically get surpassed in visuals later on. I can also totally understand if people want to hold out with buying a next gen console till the big titles start coming out. My only problem is that MS is purposely not looking to push the next gen envelope. 

Phil can say whatever he wants but we all know the Xone will hold Series X 1st party games back, just like any cross-gen title will. The question is really what will happen after that 2 year period? The 4Tflops Lockhart seems to be real. And yes, it won't be holding Series X games back. But that doesn't mean focusing on 4k and 120fps, just to make sure those games won't be held back on Lockhart, is the most efficient way to use the Series X hardware. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 13 July 2020

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
chakkra said:

I...  I literally don't know what to answer here.

I give up.

If that wasent a dig then I misinterpreted your reply.

I'm sorry. It looks like I'm too stressed today to hold a proper debate. I think I'm gonna take a break from posting. Again, I truly apologize.

Can someone decipher that FUD from gooper please.

sales2099 said:
SvennoJ said:

Don't you do any fact checking???

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/03/14/breath-of-the-wild-was-never-meant-to-be-the-wii-us-swansong

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a superb launch title for Nintendo Switch, but it was never intended as such. For almost all of its development, Breath of the Wild was a Wii U game through and through.

Development of BotW started 5 years before the Switch came out! Besides that, WiiU to Switch isn't much of a jump at all.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/3/17070664/nintendo-switch-technology-bayonetta-2-anniversary

The Switch is roughly as powerful as the Wii U — a little speedier, sure, but they’re not in different galaxies.

You missed the point that the game was cross gen. I don’t care how it came to be. And yet the games quality spoke for itself and added value to the brand. I am sure we will see more tangible benefits with Halo though. 

Why would Nintendo pull a game, developed for WiiU, from the WiiU? In fact, they most likely delayed it some more to be able to get a Switch version running to release at the launch of the Switch. So in fact it was anti-consumer, leaving WiiU owners to wait for the Switch to release so the Switch would get all the attention with BotW.

One game was pulled from the platform it was intended for and never made it on to it, The last guardian. But that's a whole different story. That game simply didn't work on last gen hardware. It couldn't be scaled down!

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Neither is Sony, at launch anyway. Flight Sim is a direct contrast to your stance. Xbox can use its spec advantage to do both in a way where PS has to make sacrifices. 

And the irony that despite your complaints and concerns you will still join the Xbox ecosystem on Pc. I really hope it’s not lost on you that you are admitting to give your time to Xbox one way or another despite your stance. That’s MSs literal plan in motion, to attract gamers that traditionally wouldn’t buy their console. 

Well if that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside then fine, but why wouldn't I play their exclusives practically for free? I'm sure MS's cross platform approach will be a financial success, at least compared to the Xone. But who cares about that? I just want to buy MS's and/or Sony's next gen console and play games on it that wouldn't be possible on the one I already own.

If all I wanted from next gen gaming is current gen games in 4k and 120fps, I would have bought a RTX gpu a long time ago. I just think, or at least hope, Phil is talking out of his ass when he says these next gen consoles can't do much more than that.

Its just hypocritical to have the stance you have and admit to wanting to play Halo Infinite later. It diminishes your argument if you can’t back up your stance with restraint. 

You gotta stop saying it’s just a resolution boost and FPS boost and they call it a day. It’s just FUD. 

Bold: don’t recall Phil saying that. Would be bad at his job if that’s what he said. Good thing we went over this like a week ago and you were kicked out of a thread for taking his quotes out of context and straight up lying. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 13 July 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Sure, doesn’t mean Xbox won’t show games that fall outside the cross gen window as well. Not saying it’s you but certain people forget every gen that year 1 games don’t produce the same results as mid gen games. It’s not really accurate to compare a launch game to a year 2 title 

Of course early games typically get surpassed in visuals later on. I can also totally understand if people want to hold out with buying a next gen console till the big titles start coming out. My only problem is that MS is purposely not looking to push the next gen envelope. 

Phil can say whatever he wants but we all know the Xone will hold Series X 1st party games back, just like any cross-gen title will. The question is really what will happen after that 2 year period? The 4Tflops Lockhart seems to be real. And yes, it won't be holding Series X games back. But that doesn't mean focusing on 4k and 120fps, just to make sure those games won't be held back on Lockhart, is the most efficient way to use the Series X hardware. 

FUD. You can’t say this before their event not knowing what they will show. Before we’ve seen any official gameplay. Then you have games like Flight Simulator which we have seen that I promise Sony has nothing on that level in terms of scale. I missed the part where Xbox One holding back that game. 

You keep forgetting this isn’t PS5 specs. If you have your pessimistic hopes then I can hope they can leverage that extra 20-30% to hit resolution/FPS benchmarks while still looking next gen. Where as Sony has to choose one or the other and convince people like yourself it’s for the best. No thanks. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 13 July 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

How many 1st party games are we talking about here that will be held back?  Is it only large RPG's or open-world games that are AI heavy? Of those large open-world games how many are being launched in that 1-2 year period?  To me it looks like there won't be hardly any games being held back by weaker hardware.  This appears to be a non issue to me.  I expect to see better visuals, more stable environments, better frames per second, and stunning gameplay from both systems.  On day 1 both consoles I'm sure will impress.  But please tell me how many 1st party games will be held back in the first year?, 2nd year? 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

chakkra said:
SvennoJ said:

When is it coming to XBox One?

They keep saying: "later this year," so I assume they're going to announce a date in the showcase.

So The XBox One is holding back the XBox One release. XBox One was not the target platform, but will receive a port. Hence released first on PC.

Although there is still time to surprise us with a simultaneous launch. It would be a bit odd to announce it separately but why not.

I'll get it for PC anyway. $120 to fly the 787-10 Dreamliner and get all the detailed airports, about CAD 183 inc tax. Steep, but I'll likely play it for years. Hopefully it will make it to 20fps at the detailed aiports on a 1060 otherwise it's going to cost me a new gaming laptop as well lol. Ehh, I learned to land 747s at 6 to 8 fps :)

LudicrousSpeed said:

Can someone decipher that FUD from gooper please.

The point I'm trying to make is that it isn't just the 2 years of Xone support that will be a pain in the ass. The remainder of next gen developers will need to work around the limitations of the 4Tflops Lockhart. Of course MS will say Lockhart won't be holding Series X back. But how are we supposed to believe that when they say even the ancient Xone isn't holding it back?

To me it sounds the Series S will actually be MS's main next gen console and Series X is their mid-gen console coming early. Its the only logical explanation why MS is talking so much about 4k/60fps.

There isn’t even a second year period, goopy knows that. Just more FUD. 2021 is the max time they’ve committed to supporting Xbone with every game. The max, meaning it could just be launch games.

I agree with you though, how many of these games are actually going to be affected? It will be a year or two at least before most of these studios have anything ready.