By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will GTA5 ever come to Switch?

Will GTA5 come to Switch?

Yes 7 20.00%

No 28 80.00%

Total:35

After Chinatown Wars bombed I don't see either side wanting to bring GTA to Nintendo/

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
After Chinatown Wars bombed I don't see either side wanting to bring GTA to Nintendo/

I dont think thats the reason. The game bombed on the PSP as well.

h2ohno said:

That bombed due to the massive amount of piracy on the ds and no one wanting a top down GTA.

There was a time in 2017 an 2018 I thought definately.

But considering they already announced it for PS5/XSX and still not for Switch I doubt we're gonna see it.
It's a business move, and they stand by it. I think it's a weird one but they have their reasons I'm sure.

I see a lot of reasons here that don't fit:

- "Rockstar has a troubled history with Nintendo" they were one of the first big 3rd party publishers to put a game on the Switch, L.A. Noire remastered
- "GTA is online oriented" so is Fortnite, Warframe, Paladdins, Splatoon 2 and even Tetris 99, and they're still on the Switch
- "GTA is too heavy for the console" so was the whole Witcher 3 or even the NBA 2K, also published by Take Two, with their almost daily updates.

So yeah I still believe it will eventually come to the Switch one day. It would be very absurd for a (soon to be) 100 million seller to not have GTA 5 on it

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

- "GTA is too heavy for the console" so was the whole Witcher 3 or even the NBA 2K, also published by Take Two, with their almost daily updates.

To be fair, Witcher 3 GOTY is like 50gb on PS4. GTA with all of it's online updates is like 100gb+.

Barkley said:
SKMBlake said:

To be fair, Witcher 3 GOTY is like 50gb on PS4. GTA with all of it's online updates is like 100gb+.

Well I remember playing GTA Online on my 12Gb PS3 Ultra Slim and it was fine

I do think it's coming eventually, but it still might be a couple of years.  The main issue is cart costs for a game that size.  Cart costs are gradually coming down, and some studios are willing to pay more than others.  CD Projekt Red was willing to port over Witcher 3, and they also included a lot of inserts with the Switch version.  Clearly they are not as frugal as most other studios when it comes to manufacturing costs.  I'm sure Rockstar sees a lot of potential revenue coming from the Switch simply because it would be the only portable version.  The main thing is that cart costs have to keep coming down, and that takes time.

SKMBlake said:
Barkley said:

Well I remember playing GTA Online on my 12Gb PS3 Ultra Slim and it was fine

And the ps3 version was much smaller. They've spent the last 7 years adding more and more content to online and the file size ballooning. And I assume you'd want higher quality assets than PS3....

That's not to say they couldn't release it on Switch, but even with a 32gb physical cart you'd be looking at a sizeable 10-20gb install to get all the content of the other versions.

javi741 said:

It boggles my mind why R* refuses to put it on Switch, there's no excuses at this point tbh. The Switch is more than capable of running it since it was on the 360/PS3, the Switch is one of the fastest selling systems of all time with a bigger install base than the Xbox One, multiple AAA games have been selling well on the Switch with Skyrim & Witcher 3 selling around 1Million, which are franchises much smaller than GTA. EVEN R* LA NOIRE according to VGChartz outsold the Xbox One version DESPITE the Switch having a much smaller install base when they both released. Even looking in the U.K, where Switch accounted for 20% of LA Noire's launch sales despite only having 8% console market share at the time. The Switch's install base is also mostly filled with gamers, not casuals who just wanted to play Wii Tennis... I'm at the point where I believe R* might resent Nintendo for being Anti-Third Party over the years and Nintendo back on the N64 nearly put R* North outta business, so maybe it's that???

IDK, what do you guys think is stopping R* from a GTA5 port on Switch so far?

The most shocking part of your post is that in 2020 there are still people who remain fooled into thinking Wii was just Wii Sports. I guess the old saying is true - easier to fool someone than to convince them they’ve been fooled.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.