By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Square Enix scared of releasing FF16, possible flopping ?

JapaneseGamesLover said:

To many people the franchise has been kinda tarnished with latest entries. Each Flagship gen FF sells less than the previous. FF 15 sold less than 13 and FF 13 sold less than X. Next to that there is no official word on FF16 and SE is pushing a remake/remasters agenda of previous beloved titles, such as VII,VIII,X and XII the past 3 years.  Do you think they are really scared of the reception of FF16 that they dont consider making one in the future ? Some rumours are going around for action rpg title in the making, but still no one can tell it is attached to FF, it could be Project Athia, as seen by latest developments.

Are you sure your stats are correct? A simple google says 15 sold 8.9million and 13 sold 7million. 

If anything, Monster Hunter World has taught Square that a AAA open world RPG can sell boatloads. MHW sold 15mil+. 

Square can easily tailor to 12's forumla and make a more open world Final Fantasy. 

FF7 Remake is also decent in sales, so if anything, I dont think they are "scared". More like 1) they just released KH3 last year 2) Released FF7 Remake 4 months ago 3) Working on FF7 Remake Part 2 4) Already 1-3 years into planning/development on 16.

Not to mention, isn't it supposed to be every even numbered FF is mmorpg? FF14's getting pretty old and its been profitable. Not surprised if they refresh it with a new game. 

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

To many people the franchise has been kinda tarnished with latest entries. Each Flagship gen FF sells less than the previous. FF 15 sold less than 13 and FF 13 sold less than X. Next to that there is no official word on FF16 and SE is pushing a remake/remasters agenda of previous beloved titles, such as VII,VIII,X and XII the past 3 years.  Do you think they are really scared of the reception of FF16 that they dont consider making one in the future ? Some rumours are going around for action rpg title in the making, but still no one can tell it is attached to FF, it could be Project Athia, as seen by latest developments.

Seems you're under the wrong impression. FFXIII sold around 8 million. FFXV hit 9 million as of 2016. The Lightning Saga hit 11 million. Also, FFXV is missing the XBO numbers, which were probably not that low given Comrades was matchmaking up until after 2017. The console probably sold a million or so... 

Also, hard to develop a new FF when you're already working on something like VII and the new IP. 

Also FFXIV is currently the most successfull MMO on the market, the game basicaly prints money.

The entire OP is just wrong information.
FF15 was the highest selling FF since FFX
FF13 as a series sold 11 mill but FF15 sold more than each installment individually and a few mill away from outselling entirely.
FF7R unsurprisingly will retake that crown.
FF14 has made the most money of any FF.

Project Anthia is a new.

This weak phase of Final Fantasy is all in your head. It never happened.

John2290 said:
No, as long as they have FF14 money they will always take the risks without fear. Now what they are scared of is loosing FF14 or releasing a new MMO and THAT failing.

Sometimes I think they are more concerned about FF14 follow up than FF16.

Actually FF16 could even be the follow up to 14

All FF's have been successful minus the spin offs, I think they're just more interested in milking what they have then producing new content but it seems they had an internal change with that when they cancelled FFXV DLC.

I mean it could have been like last gen when we got XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3.... But we at least got FFVII part 1 & FFXV. I'm hoping next gen they do the unthinkable and release FFXVI & XVII in the same generation.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Sometimes I think they are more concerned about FF14 follow up than FF16.

Actually FF16 could even be the follow up to 14

Honestly, with the ammount of money, FF14 makes we should be thankful they actually make mainlines anymore and nah, ShadowBringers was far too popular to migrate people to a new MMO and if even the estimation of one million paid subscriptions is half correct FF14 is not going anywhere. Imagine being able to get people to buy a game, then buy a similarly priced expansion every two years all while paid at least 10 euro a month or even double that for the most dedicated and on TOP of that you sell MTX by the bucket load. World of Warcraft ain't gone nowhere after 16 years and I believe FF14 is 7 years younger. Ff11 wasn't even a fraction of these levels of popularity or money making so updating made sense.

Wow, thats huge, I expected to game to be already in decline and people would be demanding a new online FF but you might be right, at this pace it will take a long time to have a new FF online.

From my understanding. Square is so scared of FF16 becoming another 10+M seller. They are giving us a sequel to Chrono Trigger. A Monolith Soft remake of Xenogears. Sequel and remake to Vagrant Story and a new Final Fantasy tactics game. Just so those can sell only to a small cult audience and be happy with the results of at best 1M sellers.

If this was la la land. FF16 will come out on PS5 and XSX and sell 15 plus million. It will be a single-player focused game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Drakrami said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

Are you sure your stats are correct? A simple google says 15 sold 8.9million and 13 sold 7million. 

If anything, Monster Hunter World has taught Square that a AAA open world RPG can sell boatloads. MHW sold 15mil+. 

Square can easily tailor to 12's forumla and make a more open world Final Fantasy. 

FF7 Remake is also decent in sales, so if anything, I dont think they are "scared". More like 1) they just released KH3 last year 2) Released FF7 Remake 4 months ago 3) Working on FF7 Remake Part 2 4) Already 1-3 years into planning/development on 16.

Not to mention, isn't it supposed to be every even numbered FF is mmorpg? FF14's getting pretty old and its been profitable. Not surprised if they refresh it with a new game. 

No that is not supposed to be,FF14 might be getting old but they have plenty of servers and all of them are brimming with activity and the team behind it is busy with the next expansion for the mmo.

It has also already been remade and is making a good amount of profit,as long as they catch enough profit from that community or there isnt a steep downline in profit it would be risky to introduce the next FF mmo.

Just to add on to above; It was heavily implied that 14 will be receiving a major graphic overhaul during last livestream about it.

I don't think they are scared to release it. Just taking their time to make it as good as possible. If I were to bet, I would bet on FF16 still being years before release. Probably they are making it next gen only and in order to maximize sales, they would need to release it when next gen install base will be significant. Actually, it's a question of "when" FF16 is coming, not "if". It's still a huge franchise which prints money with every entry. So, it's definitely coming.