By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: BotW 2 will get a Teen rating

The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was revealed at E3 2019 last year, and from the looks of it, it appears to take a darker turn than the original game, something which Eji Aounuma practically confirmed. Because of this, I think the game will receive a Teen rating by the ESRB in the US. The last time we got a Teen rated Zelda, was Twilight Princess on the Wii... In 2006.

Around the Network

No,they go for the widest audience surely after the successes of pokemon and animal crossing.

Immersiveunreality said:
No,they go for the widest audience surely after the successes of pokemon and animal crossing.

Neither of those games had released on Switch when the sequel started development and they were already very successful series before TP came out, so I don't think this is a sound argument. Nintendo doesn't need all their games to appeal to the same audiences.

As for the topic I defintely expect it to be at least a bit darker, so it could maybe happen.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Considering how fucking sexy Link is in Breath of the Wild, I'm surprised it wasn't already T.

It is very possible. The game seems darker than Botw which was already pretty mature.

The fact that they had so much success with botw they can take some risks on the rating for sure. The game will be a hit no matter what. I mean we dont know if the game overall will be dark but everything about the teaser was giving this vibe. Would be weird that it would be the first thing they show and how they presented it if it's to have something totally different

Around the Network

Not a chance. Would be cool to see a more mature Zelda game, but Nintendo would never release it without securing an E, E10+ rating

Yerm said:
Not a chance. Would be cool to see a more mature Zelda game, but Nintendo would never release it without securing an E, E10+ rating

Yea that would be cool, shame they never released that. 

Yerm said:

They can probably go for a T rating if they want. They did it with Twilight Princess back in the day.

I guess it depends on what kind of "mature" Zelda are you talking about. Like a dark, violent game akin to say, God of War or Last of Us?

Or a game with mature themes? If the latter, they have gone there with games like Majora's Mask.

I think Nintendo (Aonuma) just makes what he wants to make and then the rating is whatever the agencies give it. In other words I doubt they make Zelda games while aiming at a specific rating.

Yerm said:

But they've done so before.