By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fans of brands (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony), what are your top 3 genres in games?

FPS
Turn Based Strategy
WRPG

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Playstation
1)RPGs
2)Action adventures
3)Hmm.. do I really have a third type of game that I play? I'd love some point&click adventures but those aren't really a thing anymore.

1: RPG

2: Turn-based strategy

3: Car simulators

1) strategy
2) RPG
3) action/adventure

Platformers, action-adventures and JRPGs.

Action-adventure is the broadest category in gaming and usually recognizes games like Zelda (2D and 3D versions), Metroidvania (sidescrolling action-adventure), classic and both rebooted Tomb Raider versions (so three different flavors of it), and just about anything that doesn't fall under any other genre umbrella. Basically, if we can't be defined as anything else, it tends to end up in the action-adventure category.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

1. Shooters - Halo, Doom, Gears, etc
2. Open world action/RPGs - RDR2, Assassin's Creed, GTA, etc
3. Platformers - 3D Mario, Ori, 2D Sonic, etc

One genre I've never been a fan of are turn-based games. I'm more of a fan of faster paced games.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

1- RPG
2- Turn based strategy RPG
3- Some other RPG type

1 - racing simulators - Gran Turismo
2 - Action Adventure - Uncharted
3 - Final Fantasy (a mix of story heavy, great graphics, for me it started in this, but JRPG itself isn't one of my favorite genres) - FF IX.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nintendo / PlayStation

1. RPGs (mainly with japanese sensibilities)

2. Action-Adventure (but not stealth or horror ones)

3. Platformers

I like this topic, although I feel like genre alone doesn't speak adequately to the different fan bases. You could group Breath of the Wild, Sea of Thieves, and Uncharted 4 under action-adventure, but all three play very differently due to the mechanics and designs underpinning them.

Back on-topic...my favorite genre is action, with a special focus on action-adventure. Basically anything where there is a balanced mixture of real-time action, puzzle-solving, and exploration. A few games that typically fall under "shooter" could in theory be labeled action-adventure, like Half-Life 2 and BioShock. Some of my favorite series under this banner include The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Resident Evil.

Another subset of action I love is platformer, which at times overlaps with action-adventure. Series like Metroid, Castlevania, Ori, and Guacamelee arguably belong under action-adventure, but they certainly focus on platforming to some degree. Even 3D platforming games like Banjo-Kazooie, Psychonauts, and Super Mario Odyssey -- all favorites of mine -- share something in common with action-adventure. My favorite platformer franchises include Super Mario, Donkey Kong, and Rayman.

A third favorite: role-playing game. This includes "classic" turn-based affairs based on the pen-and-paper variety and their cousins in the action-RPG camp, which also have a lot in common with action-adventure. I enjoy assembling a party, managing classes, upgrading characters, going on quests, exploration, etc. While I certainly gravitate toward the instant gratification of real-time action (see above) I also enjoy the tactical, methodical process of planning and executing a winning strategy in a turn-based environment. Among my favorite RPG brands: Final Fantasy, Xenoblade, The Elder Scrolls, and Souls.

I took a look at my top 20 games from mZuzek's Annual Greatest Games thread and found that 16/20 games are either action-adventure, platformer, or RPG, or some combination of the three.

My favorite game-maker is Nintendo.

Last edited by Veknoid_Outcast - on 03 July 2020