Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best Yoshi game art style

I prefer...

Yoshi's Island SNES 19 41.30%

Yoshi's Story 4 8.70%

Yoshi's New Island 0 0%

Yoshi's Woolly World 13 28.26%

Yoshi's Crafted World 10 21.74%

Total:46

Woolly World just edged the original and Crafted World for me, although most of them tend to be well done.

Around the Network

Heven't played any of them, but Woolly World is really adorable, so I voted for this. I think the art style is a bit comparable with Yoshi's Story, but it looks more appealing on Wii U for me.

I voted Yoshi's Story.... I despised the game, but it's the Yoshi game that impressed me, artistically, the most, by far.

Although, I like recent art styles better, they just didn't impress me as much at the time.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Woolly World

Crafted World and Yoshi's Island are tied for me, and it's not even close. The original Yoshi's Island has a really cute and simple art style that was absolutely gorgeous on the SNES hardware, and Crafted World is just so well put together. There is so much detail in every single tiny aspect of that game's world, and it's so nice to look at. It also helps that it ties into the gameplay so nicely.

Woolly World looks nice too but after Kirby's Epic Yarn it never really did it for me, it just looks off in comparison. And the other games just don't look good at all to me lol.

Around the Network

They're all good. Upvoting "Yoshi's Story" since it's not getting any love :)

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Definitely NOT Yoshi's New Island. I would probably say Yoshi's Woolly World (although Crafted World's style looks similarly good as well).

CaptainExplosion said:
StuOhQ said:
They're all good. Upvoting "Yoshi's Story" since it's not getting any love :)

Yoshi's Story doesn't get as much love because it's so much shorter than Yoshi's Island.

Ultravolt said:

Definitely NOT Yoshi's New Island. I would probably say Yoshi's Woolly World (although Crafted World's style looks similarly good as well).

I don't mind the art style in Yoshi's New Island, it's the retcon to the Yoshi's Island ending that bothers me.

I don't think Yoshi's Story is the same sort of game as the original, but it tends to get judged as such. It's more about getting the highest score possible than getting to the end. Figuring out the best route possible takes multiple play throughs.

Also, people care about storyline continuity in Yoshi games?

Say what you will about Yoshi's Story's gameplay, but as an art-style, it is one of the most underrated games around. Not to mention that at its particular time in history it was arguably the best looking 2D platformer ever made.

It's the game that gave rise to the art style used in Paper Mario, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and all Yoshi games to follow.

While I hated the game itself, its artstyle was something that really left an impression on me.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 05 July 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

DS, which is just the continuation of the original. But it's the game I grew up with, so I pick it. Love the chalkboard style.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.