By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Original Xbox or Xbox One?

Which is better?

Original Xbox 39 69.64%

Xbox One 17 30.36%

Total:56
Chris Hu said:
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of original X Boxes that are still in working order are used as modded consoles to play games from different systems and arcade games another reason why its overall software library was pretty weak.

Allot of Original Xbox consoles had a technical flaw where the clock capacitor would leak causing (often) irreparable damage to the systems.

Chris Hu said:

Just because you hate the X1 doesn't make it redundant.

Don't put words in my mouth, never said I hate the Xbox One, I actually like the console and I do own one.

The Xbox One is redundant because it's game library isn't exclusive, everything can be found elsewhere... Be it PC, Switch, Playstation, Xbox, Xbox 360 and eventually every Xbox One game will run on the Xbox Series X.

Exclusive means to only be found on one device, not several.

Chris Hu said:

Heck I could use the exact bs argument for the PS1 since both the PS2 and PS3 are pretty much fully backwards compatible with the PS1.  Since the PS2 has completely identical control ports and memory cart slots then the PS1 you can even use all the PS1 accessories on it. 

If this is a dig because you think I am a Playstation fan... Sorry to disappoint, I'm not, I don't care about any console brand. - Either way, this isn't an argument about Playstation consoles, this is an argument about Xbox consoles.

Chris Hu said:

Also the reason brought up sports games in my third party list of games is because that is really the only genre where the original X Box had a clear edge over its competition they looked better, played better for the most part most of them where playable online and since it had an eternal HDD it was easy to save game files for them on other systems some sports games could end up using up all the available space on one memory card.

Doesn't matter what platform the Sports games are on, they all eventually end up in the $2 bargain bin, the platform they release on does not change my disinterest in them.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
curl-6 said:

Quantity yes, but quality is subjective. And for a lot of people, quality > quantity.

The N64 for example had a very small library, yet I'd rank it as my #4 top console of all time because among those few games were masterpieces like Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64, F-Zero X, Starfox 64, etc.

The N64 also has a very flawed controller for that reason alone it shouldn't near anyones top 5 consoles of all time.  With MS consoles the controllers got progressively got better and since the 360 they are also great for using as PC controllers.  With Sony consoles the only minor mistep was the siaxis that launched with the PS3 but that was fixed with the dual shock 3.

The N64 controller never prevented me from getting immense enjoyment out of amazing games like those I mentioned.

And just for the record, the Xbox 360 is my #3 top system ever.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 July 2020

Pemalite said:
Chris Hu said:
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of original X Boxes that are still in working order are used as modded consoles to play games from different systems and arcade games another reason why its overall software library was pretty weak.

Allot of Original Xbox consoles had a technical flaw where the clock capacitor would leak causing (often) irreparable damage to the systems.

Chris Hu said:

Just because you hate the X1 doesn't make it redundant.

Don't put words in my mouth, never said I hate the Xbox One, I actually like the console and I do own one.

The Xbox One is redundant because it's game library isn't exclusive, everything can be found elsewhere... Be it PC, Switch, Playstation, Xbox, Xbox 360 and eventually every Xbox One game will run on the Xbox Series X.

Exclusive means to only be found on one device, not several.

Chris Hu said:

Heck I could use the exact bs argument for the PS1 since both the PS2 and PS3 are pretty much fully backwards compatible with the PS1.  Since the PS2 has completely identical control ports and memory cart slots then the PS1 you can even use all the PS1 accessories on it. 

If this is a dig because you think I am a Playstation fan... Sorry to disappoint, I'm not, I don't care about any console brand. - Either way, this isn't an argument about Playstation consoles, this is an argument about Xbox consoles.

Chris Hu said:

Also the reason brought up sports games in my third party list of games is because that is really the only genre where the original X Box had a clear edge over its competition they looked better, played better for the most part most of them where playable online and since it had an eternal HDD it was easy to save game files for them on other systems some sports games could end up using up all the available space on one memory card.

Doesn't matter what platform the Sports games are on, they all eventually end up in the $2 bargain bin, the platform they release on does not change my disinterest in them.

Me mentioning the PS 1 and PS 2 wasn't a dig at Sony those two are the best known backwards compatible consoles I could have easily mentioned other consoles and devices like the Wii U, Nintendo DS, Atari 5200 and Sega Power Base Converter.  I owned all previous Sony home consoles and currently own a PS2 slim, PS 3 super slim and PS 4 slim.  Unless the series X gets a radical redesign of its entire architecture once it gets a slim model, the X Box S will always be the cheapest in both console cost and power consumption cost and easiest way to play all X Box and current backwards compatible games so it will never become redundant.  Also I say it again the X Box has exclusive games just because they don't appeal to doesn't mean they don't exist.

Chris Hu said:

Me mentioning the PS 1 and PS 2 wasn't a dig at Sony those two are the best known backwards compatible consoles I could have easily mentioned other consoles and devices like the Wii U, Nintendo DS, Atari 5200 and Sega Power Base Converter.  I owned all previous Sony home consoles and currently own a PS2 slim, PS 3 super slim and PS 4 slim.  Unless the series X gets a radical redesign of its entire architecture once it gets a slim model, the X Box S will always be the cheapest in both console cost and power consumption cost and easiest way to play all X Box and current backwards compatible games so it will never become redundant.

Backwards compatibility may be a selling point for you... And it's most certainly a positive selling point for me, but it's not for everyone.
I already own a substantial OG Xbox and Xbox 360 game library with consoles to match, it's not a must-have feature, it's nice, don't get me wrong, the enhanced titles really made the scheme worth it, but sadly were few and far between.

Either way, the Xbox One is not compatible with every single Xbox 360 and Original Xbox library, the Xbox One is only backwards compatible with 27.6% of the Xbox 360 game library and 4.09% of the Original Xbox game library.

But the Xbox Series X will be compatible with every Xbox One game, even the games it's backwards compatible with (I.E. Xbox 360 and OG Xbox) thus from a games library perspective, the Xbox One is a redundant console, there is still a point to keep your Original Xbox and XBox 360 consoles as there are still games on those devices that cannot be played anywhere else. (I.E. Naruto: Rise of a Ninja)

Now it's interesting you bring up something like the WiiU... The WiiU is backwards compatible with the Wii, but in doing so... The Wii still remains relevant as the WiiU is not backwards compatible with the Gamecube like the Wii.

Something like the PS2 having full hardware support for PS1 games, did certainly make the PS1 a redundant console, better off buying a PS2 instead.

The Gameboy advance having hardware backwards compatibility with Gameboy/Gameboy Colour games certainly made those prior devices redundant.

Chris Hu said:

Also I say it again the X Box has exclusive games just because they don't appeal to doesn't mean they don't exist.

Feel free to name them.

You have Halo 5 which is the only notable exclusive... And that title was fairly average for a Halo game... Also released a long time ago.
There is Forza 5, but it's a Forza game, you only get one every year.

Rare Replay is a collection of games from other devices, so whilst technically an exclusive release, the games themselves are not.

Gears of War 4, Gears of War 5, Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct, Ori and the Will of the Wisps/Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, Halo: Master Chief Collection, Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Recore, Quantum Break and more are all... You know. On PC or other devices, thus they aren't exclusive, they are all solid games though.

Pemalite said:
Chris Hu said:

Me mentioning the PS 1 and PS 2 wasn't a dig at Sony those two are the best known backwards compatible consoles I could have easily mentioned other consoles and devices like the Wii U, Nintendo DS, Atari 5200 and Sega Power Base Converter.  I owned all previous Sony home consoles and currently own a PS2 slim, PS 3 super slim and PS 4 slim.  Unless the series X gets a radical redesign of its entire architecture once it gets a slim model, the X Box S will always be the cheapest in both console cost and power consumption cost and easiest way to play all X Box and current backwards compatible games so it will never become redundant.

Backwards compatibility may be a selling point for you... And it's most certainly a positive selling point for me, but it's not for everyone.
I already own a substantial OG Xbox and Xbox 360 game library with consoles to match, it's not a must-have feature, it's nice, don't get me wrong, the enhanced titles really made the scheme worth it, but sadly were few and far between.

Either way, the Xbox One is not compatible with every single Xbox 360 and Original Xbox library, the Xbox One is only backwards compatible with 27.6% of the Xbox 360 game library and 4.09% of the Original Xbox game library.

But the Xbox Series X will be compatible with every Xbox One game, even the games it's backwards compatible with (I.E. Xbox 360 and OG Xbox) thus from a games library perspective, the Xbox One is a redundant console, there is still a point to keep your Original Xbox and XBox 360 consoles as there are still games on those devices that cannot be played anywhere else. (I.E. Naruto: Rise of a Ninja)

Now it's interesting you bring up something like the WiiU... The WiiU is backwards compatible with the Wii, but in doing so... The Wii still remains relevant as the WiiU is not backwards compatible with the Gamecube like the Wii.

Something like the PS2 having full hardware support for PS1 games, did certainly make the PS1 a redundant console, better off buying a PS2 instead.

The Gameboy advance having hardware backwards compatibility with Gameboy/Gameboy Colour games certainly made those prior devices redundant.

Chris Hu said:

Also I say it again the X Box has exclusive games just because they don't appeal to doesn't mean they don't exist.

Feel free to name them.

You have Halo 5 which is the only notable exclusive... And that title was fairly average for a Halo game... Also released a long time ago.
There is Forza 5, but it's a Forza game, you only get one every year.

Rare Replay is a collection of games from other devices, so whilst technically an exclusive release, the games themselves are not.

Gears of War 4, Gears of War 5, Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct, Ori and the Will of the Wisps/Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, Halo: Master Chief Collection, Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Recore, Quantum Break and more are all... You know. On PC or other devices, thus they aren't exclusive, they are all solid games though.

Even though the X1 S and X1 X are ancient technology at this point you can't buy a brand new pre build PC that includes a X1 controller with a 1TB HDD and UHD blu ray drive that can actually play all those games at least halfway decent at the the same price point so that is pretty much like comparing apples to oranges.  Plus I'm pretty sure that achievements on the PC aren't as well integrated as they are on the X1 or even the 360 so its not exactly the same experience.  The few 1st party MS games that are available on Switch don't look or play as good they don't have achievements and you can't play them with a X1 controller so again a totally different experience and another apples to oranges comparison.  Plus you completely ignored my vaild point that X1 S will more then likely alway be the cheapest and easiest way to play all X1 games and current library of backwards compatible games.  So nope the X1 isn't redundant an more then likely never will be.

Around the Network

Also l hate to burst your bubble but Forza Motorsports and Forza Horizon are two completely different games.  Forza Motorsport 8 will more then likely not show up until early 2021 and Forza Horizon 4 came out in 2018 so yeah they don't come out every year.

Chris Hu said:

Also l hate to burst your bubble but Forza Motorsports and Forza Horizon are two completely different games.  Forza Motorsport 8 will more then likely not show up until early 2021 and Forza Horizon 4 came out in 2018 so yeah they don't come out every year.

Never said anything to the contrary, making this post redundant.

Chris Hu said:

Even though the X1 S and X1 X are ancient technology at this point you can't buy a brand new pre build PC that includes a X1 controller with a 1TB HDD and UHD blu ray drive that can actually play all those games at least halfway decent at the the same price point so that is pretty much like comparing apples to oranges.

Now you are delving into a logical fallacy and shifting the goal post, the discussion was never about cost.

Secondly... Anyone who buys a PC with a 1TB HDD and UHD Blu-ray drive is essentially pissing money into the wind, that's old technology, the PC is entirely digital, HDD's and Blu-Ray drives are obsolete... If you understood PC gaming you would have known this.

A Ryzen 4700u notebook will run every single base Xbox One game just fine at equivalent settings, that's integrated graphics...

But hey, I can use that same argument against you... The Xbox Series X will be more expensive than the Xbox One S All-Digital edition console, does that make it a crappier device? No. No it does not. They both have their place.

Chris Hu said:

Plus I'm pretty sure that achievements on the PC aren't as well integrated as they are on the X1 or even the 360 so its not exactly the same experience.

Obviously you aren't "pretty sure".
Steam has a fantastic achievement system and implemented it back in 2007. It's far from new.

Chris Hu said:

The few 1st party MS games that are available on Switch don't look or play as good they don't have achievements and you can't play them with a X1 controller so again a totally different experience and another apples to oranges comparison.  Plus you completely ignored my vaild point that X1 S will more then likely alway be the cheapest and easiest way to play all X1 games and current library of backwards compatible games.  So nope the X1 isn't redundant an more then likely never will be.

So you can predict how the 9th gen is going to play out and what the cost of hardware will be in 10 years time? Very much doubt it.

A Ryzen 4700u notebook is way more expensive then any X1 console heck it will be way more expensive then a series X. PC's and PC components have a way shorter shelf life then home consoles they will always be way more expensive then consoles.