By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

AMD version of image reconstruction is present in both HW, but that won't substitute the power difference in any of the consoles since they both have it (be Lockhart, Series X or PS5), devs wouldn't decide to make the code in a way that only Lockhart benefit from it and leave the power difference used for nothing on the stronger consoles.

If Lockhart was indeed capable of that it would basically render Series X useless.

Crossgen isn't the same as crossplay.

If you consider let's say Halo Infinite a new exclusive game, and you don't have PS4 most of the latest games on PS4 would classify for crossgen when you see their improved versions on PS5.

Wouldnt it be totally crazy if Lockhart was MS's main nextgen machine and Series X was just to make sure no one could say MS launched a lower end nextgen device then Sony .

And they will do shadow announce it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
zero129 said:
goopy20 said:

Indeed. As soon as we get more visually ambitious games, 3rd party developers will likely target 1440p or use things like DLSS on the ps5 (and probably Series X). You tell me how those games are going to run on Lockhart with 1/3 of the gpu power? 

Do you read the quotes you do be replying to?.

Tech like DLSS can take a 540P image and upscale it to 1080P it can upscale a 720P image to 1440P and the results from nvidias dlss2 has been great, and AMD and MS have been working on such tech too for ages now.

So you tell me if the average gamer (You do like bringing them up so much) goes into a shop to buy a system they dont care about exclusives and sees the next fifa or cod or GTA6 running and looking pretty close to the PS5 and xbsx versions on lockhart but at half the price what do you think they will do?. Remember these aint the people that play on PC's these are the same people that didnt care about PS4Pro or XB1X, these are the same people that where fine with the wii being an SD machine while the HD twins where way more powerful. So in that spot what do you think the average low income gamer or parent or student would do?.

I dunno man. First everybody is excited about Series X being a 12Tflops beast (me included) and now you actually want Ms's weaksauce 4Tflops Lockhart to be the base platform, knowing that means all those 12Tflops will be rendered practically useless?

Like I said, as a gamer, I seriously hope Lockhart won't be targeted as the base console because all the other platforms will be dramatically held back by it. If DLSS can make games look like native 4k while rendering them at 540p, why wouldn't you want Series X and ps5 to use it as well? 

Maybe it's just me but I want these next gen consoles to push visuals way beyond what's possible on current gen. Phil might say that's not really going to happen, but the UE5 demo alone already proved otherwise. Now here's a fun fact for ya, did you know that the UE5 tech demo was only using about the same GPU resources as Fortnite? Cgi got pretty excited after he saw the ue5 demo and said it's only the beginning. I can't say I disagree, unless developers would really waste all resources on native 4k/60fps because they need to hit some kind of badge of approval standard for Series X optimized games.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 03 July 2020

goopy20 said:

Maybe it's just me but I want these next gen consoles to push visuals way beyond what's possible on current gen. Phil might say that's not really going to happen, but the UE5 demo alone already proved otherwise. Now here's a fun fact for ya, did you know that the UE5 tech demo was only using about the same GPU resources as Fortnite? Cgi got pretty excited after he saw the ue5 demo and said it's only the beginning. I can't say I disagree, unless developers would really waste all resources on native 4k/60fps because they need to hit some kind of badge of approval standard for Series X optimized games.

He hasn't and won't say this.

And while native 4k might be a waste of resources, 60fps most certainly won't be. At least games should have an option for performance mode like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4. Pretty unbelieveable if we have to be playing 30fps slideshow in 2021. 

goopy20 said:
zero129 said:

Tech like DLSS can take a 540P image and upscale it to 1080P it can upscale a 720P image to 1440P and the results from nvidias dlss2 has been great, and AMD and MS have been working on such tech too for ages now.

So you tell me if the average gamer (You do like bringing them up so much) goes into a shop to buy a system they dont care about exclusives and sees the next fifa or cod or GTA6 running and looking pretty close to the PS5 and xbsx versions on lockhart but at half the price what do you think they will do?. Remember these aint the people that play on PC's these are the same people that didnt care about PS4Pro or XB1X, these are the same people that where fine with the wii being an SD machine while the HD twins where way more powerful. So in that spot what do you think the average low income gamer or parent or student would do?.

I dunno man. First everybody is excited about Series X being a 12Tflops beast (me included) and now you actually want Ms's weaksauce 4Tflops Lockhart to be the base platform, knowing that means all those 12Tflops will be rendered practically useless?

Like I said, as a gamer, I seriously hope Lockhart won't be targeted as the base console because all the other platforms will be dramatically held back by it. If DLSS can make games look like native 4k while rendering them at 540p, why wouldn't you want Series X and ps5 to use it as well? 

Ima keep posting this link every time you say Lockhart will hold back the Series X.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1277734393868701701?s=21

Bold: I think you were warned about straight up lying. He said we would notice the other improvements the tech brings...you reading too pessimistic into his quotes. 

If you think 1440p/30 FPS is the holy grail for PS5 graphics then more power to you. With the console being about 20% less on specs maybe that’s the best route for them. So if that extra 20% can translate to 4K/30fps on Series X exclusives comfortably, then I say go for it. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

goopy20 said:
zero129 said:

Why would the Series X be wasted if they have a Lockhart console that also has a modern CPU and a SSD? Ignoring the fact that you’re still clueless as to how game development works in the first place. I mean, you’re in here talking about 1440p and how needless 4k or 60fps are. Seems like Lockhart should be right up your alley? It won’t run the Series X games at 4k. Per usual it seems you’re just griping about anything MS does. Oh, power is irrelevant if you’re pushing graphics fidelity or frame rate! I prefer this weaker console that doesn’t push for the highest resolution or frame rate! Oh this other MS console is also weaker and also doesn’t push for the highest resolution or frame rate... well uh that’s still bad and I don’t want that. 

And didn’t a mod already ask you to stop outright lying about what The Xboss says? Yet you continue to pull that quote out of your butt and spin it. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Ima keep posting this link every time you say Lockhart will hold back the Series X.

Bold: I think you were warned about straight up lying. He said we would notice the other improvements the tech brings...you reading too pessimistic into his quotes. 

If you think 1440p/30 FPS is the holy grail for PS5 graphics then more power to you. With the console being about 20% less on specs maybe that’s the best route for them. So if that extra 20% can translate to 4K/30fps on Series X exclusives comfortably, then I say go for it. 

I don't understand. You're linking me a tweet that says developers will always target the lowest common denominator and you do so to make a point that Lockhart isn't holding back Series X...

If you look at the Xbox One X, which is around 4 times more powerful than the base Xone, do you feel developers were really able to tap into that extra compute power? Developes were all targeting the lowest common denominator (base consoles) which is why very little could be done on the X1X besides a bump in resolution and framerate. With X1X and ps4 Pro that was fine as they weren't marketed as next gen consoles, they were released half-way through the console generation and were designed to play the exact same games but in 4k and or a higher fps. 

With all this Lockhart talk, it sounds like MS is already releasing their "mid-gen" console and a $200, 4Tflops version will their base model. If you don't understand how terrible that is then I don't know what to tell you. It will be the first time in history that a next gen console will barely be an upgrade lol. Wouldn't it be loads better that we'll see Series X and ps5 targeted as the base console, and that we'll see more powerful mid-gen consoles later for those who think native 4k/60fps is an absolute must? 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 03 July 2020

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

I don't understand. You're linking me a tweet that says developers will always target the lowest common denominator and you do so to make a point that Lockhart isn't holding back Series X...

If you look at the Xbox One X, which is around 4 times more powerful than the base Xone, do you feel developers were really able to tap into that extra compute power? Developes were all targeting the lowest common denominator (base consoles) which is why very little could be done on the X1X besides a bump in resolution and framerate. With X1X and ps4 Pro that was fine as they weren't marketed as next gen consoles, they were released half-way through the console generation and were designed to play the exact same games but in 4k and or a higher fps. 

With all this Lockhart talk, it sounds like MS is already releasing their "mid-gen" console and a $200, 4Tflops version will their base model. If you don't understand how terrible that is then I don't know what to tell you. It will be the first time in history that a next gen console will barely be an upgrade lol. Wouldn't it be loads better that we'll see Series X and ps5 targeted as the base console, and that we'll see more powerful mid-gen consoles later for those who think native 4k/60fps is an absolute must? 

You don’t have to understand. Just know the top GPU won’t be held back by a lower GPU. Devs have been doing that for decades on PC like he says. It’s time tested and backed by people more knowledgeable then you and me and frankly aren’t trying to foster FUD.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

That is the thing, it can't. I already said to you, you will need roughly twice the power to go from 1440p to 4k and also twice the power to go from 30 to 60fps. XSX have 10-20% power advantage (more precise numbers we will only know very well into the gen). So if MS stick to 4k60fps they'll have to sacrifice a lot in other aspects of the game versus a 1440p30fps game on PS5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Ryuu96 said:
goopy20 said:

That isn't what the tweet is saying at all, did you even read it?

Yes, they were able to tap into the extra power as you even admitted in increases FPS and Resolution and no, not all developers target the base console, Playground Games were building with Xbox One X as the lead platform and porting down, no reason why Xbox's top studios don't also do that with Xbox Series X.

Lockhart will also have an SSD, it is very much a next gen console and likely won't hold back Series X all that much.

"Barely an upgrade"

Your concern trolling is getting boring Goopy.

Actually I'm just going to remove you from this thread, I don't trust your intentions at all given your mod history and given you've straight up twisted or lied about multiple things in the thread.

The problem was when zero and sales suggested Lockhart as the lead platform and where MS would concentrate their sales with Series X being just their premium console. If that was truly to happen then most games would more likely be designed to it and then improved for Series X, that could really lead to constrains in the scope for the game.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

That is the thing, it can't. I already said to you, you will need roughly twice the power to go from 1440p to 4k and also twice the power to go from 30 to 60fps. XSX have 10-20% power advantage (more precise numbers we will only know very well into the gen). So if MS stick to 4k60fps they'll have to sacrifice a lot in other aspects of the game versus a 1440p30fps game on PS5.

Isn’t 4K twice of 1080p? 1440p is like the half way point more or less right? I hear 20-30% when the PS5 isn’t over clocking. Unless it’s overclocking 100% the time it’s not overclocking it’s just....clocking. 

My dumbing down aside lol, I guess this is gonna be a case by case basis.