By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

I agree that 4k/30fps should be doable and I'm sure many games on ps5 will target it. It's just that some of their studios known for pushing visuals will probably go for the best balance and opt for 1440p. Sony isn't really talking about 1440p as the holy grail, they're just not saying much about framerates and resolution at all and let their games do the talking. 

MS is the one that's constantly mentioning their 4k/60fps or even 120fps. 

Well glad you agree 4K/30 FPS isn’t impossible and is more then doable. It should be the standard next gen imo. If 1440p is the standard then PS5 has more in common with Lockhart then Series X. Let that sink in....hopefully that won’t be the case. Think we also agree 60 FPS only benefits certain genres.

And I’ll say again Flight SIM 2020 is proof Xbox doing things that can all ready be described as next gen no question. 

Tell me you are joking. The fact of a game being 1440p on PS5 doesn't make it closer to Lockhart.

That is the same silly reasoning Phill used to say PS4Pro was competing with X1 while X1X was miles ahead.

Since some X1X games render in 4k30fps and AC Valhalla runned 4k30fps on May show are you going to say XSX is equal to X1X? Then why are we getting new systems?

You already admitted to not know on the subject. So sacrificing pixels for better and more advanced graphics doesn't make PS5 less powerful or closer to Lockhart.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Well glad you agree 4K/30 FPS isn’t impossible and is more then doable. It should be the standard next gen imo. If 1440p is the standard then PS5 has more in common with Lockhart then Series X. Let that sink in....hopefully that won’t be the case. Think we also agree 60 FPS only benefits certain genres.

And I’ll say again Flight SIM 2020 is proof Xbox doing things that can all ready be described as next gen no question. 

Tell me you are joking. The fact of a game being 1440p on PS5 doesn't make it closer to Lockhart.

That is the same silly reasoning Phill used to say PS4Pro was competing with X1 while X1X was miles ahead.

Since some X1X games render in 4k30fps and AC Valhalla runned 4k30fps on May show are you going to say XSX is equal to X1X? Then why are we getting new systems?

You already admitted to not know on the subject. So sacrificing pixels for better and more advanced graphics doesn't make PS5 less powerful or closer to Lockhart.

It was a joke but also to make a point. From a purely resolution point of view. Lockhart is supposed to target 1080p-1440p and Series X 4k. 

If Ubisoft won’t put in the effort that’s a shame but I know it isn’t the problem on the hardware end. The game better look gorgeous if they keeping the same resolution and frames. 

If games are 30fps then 4k should the standard. If not what are we even doing let’s all just get Lockharts and use Xcloud to stream everything. 

Edit: Guess resolution matters to me. 4K should be a staple next gen if the games are 30fps 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 02 July 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

It was a joke but also to make a point. From a purely resolution point of view. Lockhart is supposed to target 1080p-1440p and Series X 4k. 

If Ubisoft won’t put in the effort that’s a shame but I know it isn’t the problem on the hardware end. 

If games are 30fps then 4k should the standard. If not what are we even doing let’s all just get Lockharts and use Xcloud to stream everything. 

Edit: Guess resolution matters to me. 4K should be a staple next gen if the games are 30fps 

Well no problem, you are entitled to being wrong. Are you going to attack XSX when the first non 4k game shows up?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

If Ubisoft won’t put in the effort that’s a shame but I know it isn’t the problem on the hardware end. 

Well no problem, you are entitled to being wrong. Are you going to attack XSX when the first non 4k game shows up?

Damn straight I will. If we didn’t complain at the X1 we wouldn’t have gotten the Xbox X. I refuse to be like certain others and flip flop my agenda on a whim. Not if I can help it anyway. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

If Ubisoft won’t put in the effort that’s a shame but I know it isn’t the problem on the hardware end. The game better look gorgeous if they keeping the same resolution and frames. 

MAybe you're right, but why not give developers a choice to do what they think will yield the best results on a tv? We're seeing loads of game use techniques like checkerboard rendering, which looks great and frees up a ton of resources that can be used elsewhere. I mean isn't DLSS supposed to be a big thing on Series X?

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Damn straight I will. If we didn’t complain at the X1 we wouldn’t have gotten the Xbox X. I refuse to be like certain others and flip flop my agenda on a whim. Not if I can help it anyway. 

Good, that is keeping a line.

But don't mind that you are going to forget a game isn't 4k when it rendering in 1440p looks better. The gen will be long =]

padib said:
goopy20 said:

Well, Phil did say it may be depressing to some, and maybe I'm just one of them. Phil talks like a used car salesman but with melting that 4th wall he's still saying higher res, better load times and input latency are what he feels will be the major differences between current- and last gen. He also mentions increased story telling which at least is something to get a bit excited about. 

The problem is that you have practically analyze whatever Phil is saying to get something positive out of it in regards to pushing next gen boundaries. Either he's being brutally honest and he's a terrible sales person or... he's being as political correct as possible because he knows their cross platform strategy puts Series X is a difficult spot to really flex those next gen muscles. 

Sony is doing the exact opposite and are telling us how their SSD is God's gift to mankind that will revolutionize gaming as we know it. Now maybe they are overselling it and I should temper my expectations from Sony. But I would rather have them overhyping things with crazy footage from games that never even get released or 6 years later, than getting less and less excited whenever I read a Phil Spencer interview. 

MS totally got me when they announced a 12Tflops console, and I still think the raw specs are insane. But after that all we've been hearing is things like; no next gen exclusives, Smart Delivery, Optimized for Series X logo's and how framerates/resolution are going to be biggest differences between current and next gen. Its almost as if they're trying to sell us a X1X 2.0 instead of a next gen console that allows for completely new experiences, not possible before on current gen.

I think you under-appreciate him. Here are things I really like about him:

• He doesn't tend to exaggerate or inflate the capabilities of what they are doing or of the console
  • He cares about the overall delivery and the game experience
  • He wants to make a great product
  • He wants to drive his team in a player-driven direction, he is the icon for the new team at MS
  • He is giving 40-minute interviews from his home

You will get a presentation from Xbox in a few weeks. Be patient.

Also, I much prefer a company that discusses things that encourage a better industry and experience than a company that just boasts about itself. Right now we are comparing MS talk to Sony talk. I can tell you that Sony is most often, in my point of view, trying to create inflated hype. In the opposite, MS is staying chill and just being confident. They did their work, now they'll go to bat. I like that mentality.

As for "no next gen exclusives", you really need to adjust your visor. You need to know that MS has purchased a lot of studios that are hard at work on experiences that leverage the XsX. As you mentioned, we saw that MS has a logo to highlight games that were optimized for the new console. This means that, while they are going strong on smart delivery and allowing people to play the games on as broad a range of platforms as possible, they are dedicated to maximizing the use of the new hardware. So in my opinion you really need to understand the subtleties here, and not jump to conclusions.

Edit: I think you should also use another term than "used car salesman". I think personally that it's disrespectful to him, to the industry and to xbox fans. You should be more respectful imho, especially given his care for video games.

I don't really have an opinion about Phil to be honest. He seems like a likeable guy that gets gamers, but I don't think he has that much influence. If he did, I don't think he would have green lighted that May conference.

I do perfectly well understand what MS is doing and what their "optimized for Series X" logo entails. I just don't like it. The ps4 or Xone didn't need any stinkin' badges, they had ps4 and X1 games and the ps5 doesn't have badges either. The only consoles that had badges were the mid-gen consoles. I mean at its core, can you tell me what the difference is between these two? 

Call me old school but the only thing I want from a next gen console is next gen games specifically designed and optimized for that one single platform. That is the whole point of a new console generation and how developers are able to get amazing results out of them with relatively weak hardware. But with MS's 1st party games we could now be seeing half a dozen different versions of the same game while the core game has be identical across all of them. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 02 July 2020

padib said:
goopy20 said:

Well, Phil did say it may be depressing to some, and maybe I'm just one of them. Phil talks like a used car salesman but with melting that 4th wall he's still saying higher res, better load times and input latency are what he feels will be the major differences between current- and last gen. He also mentions increased story telling which at least is something to get a bit excited about. 

The problem is that you have practically analyze whatever Phil is saying to get something positive out of it in regards to pushing next gen boundaries. Either he's being brutally honest and he's a terrible sales person or... he's being as political correct as possible because he knows their cross platform strategy puts Series X is a difficult spot to really flex those next gen muscles. 

Sony is doing the exact opposite and are telling us how their SSD is God's gift to mankind that will revolutionize gaming as we know it. Now maybe they are overselling it and I should temper my expectations from Sony. But I would rather have them overhyping things with crazy footage from games that never even get released or 6 years later, than getting less and less excited whenever I read a Phil Spencer interview. 

MS totally got me when they announced a 12Tflops console, and I still think the raw specs are insane. But after that all we've been hearing is things like; no next gen exclusives, Smart Delivery, Optimized for Series X logo's and how framerates/resolution are going to be biggest differences between current and next gen. Its almost as if they're trying to sell us a X1X 2.0 instead of a next gen console that allows for completely new experiences, not possible before on current gen.

I think you under-appreciate him. Here are things I really like about him:

• He doesn't tend to exaggerate or inflate the capabilities of what they are doing or of the console
  • He cares about the overall delivery and the game experience
  • He wants to make a great product
  • He wants to drive his team in a player-driven direction, he is the icon for the new team at MS
  • He is giving 40-minute interviews from his home

You will get a presentation from Xbox in a few weeks. Be patient.

Also, I much prefer a company that discusses things that encourage a better industry and experience than a company that just boasts about itself. Right now we are comparing MS talk to Sony talk. I can tell you that Sony is most often, in my point of view, trying to create inflated hype. In the opposite, MS is staying chill and just being confident. They did their work, now they'll go to bat. I like that mentality.

As for "no next gen exclusives", you really need to adjust your visor. You need to know that MS has purchased a lot of studios that are hard at work on experiences that leverage the XsX. As you mentioned, we saw that MS has a logo to highlight games that were optimized for the new console. This means that, while they are going strong on smart delivery and allowing people to play the games on as broad a range of platforms as possible, they are dedicated to maximizing the use of the new hardware. So in my opinion you really need to understand the subtleties here, and not jump to conclusions.

Edit: I think you should also use another term than "used car salesman". I think personally that it's disrespectful to him, to the industry and to xbox fans. You should be more respectful imho, especially given his care for video games.

Yeah, companies are not your friends. Also not sure how MS encourage a better industry other than alternate ways to make more revenue. Moreover it looks like they are pushing online for games for service. This may be good for industry or bad. I'm cynical, so anything that takes away control for the end user (especially in the games industry) is slippery slope and not one I'm going to partake in - if I can help it. As a PC gamer I've seen the change on progression from physical to digital and while its convienient its not all good. Rights for games are up to publishers and it can get messy. The only difference is that there is vast competition on the digital front on PC. Whereas on consoles, its a closed ecosystem.

Gonna be an old man gamer with CD's for consoles until they stop making them. Then its PC all the way.

Phil Spencer does seem like a a nice guy though and does sound like he cares for gaming.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

But don't mind that you are going to forget a game isn't 4k when it rendering in 1440p looks better. The gen will be long =]

I’ll complain, doesn’t mean I’ll boycott ;) I’ll do what I can to minimize my monetary contribution even if it means waiting for bargain bin pricing. Or waiting till it hits Game Pass years later and knock it out within a week. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

I’ll complain, doesn’t mean I’ll boycott ;) I’ll do what I can to minimize my monetary contribution even if it means waiting for bargain bin pricing. Or waiting till it hits Game Pass years later and knock it out within a week. 

Why would you complain of having a better graphical quality? The game will be output to your TV in 4k (and even if it wasn't the TV will upscale it) and with a higher quality than if it was rendered natively at 4k.