Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.49%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 18.18%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.88%

MS will do less well than... 45 58.44%

Total:77

Don: I agree with everything you said. Just that we’ve been taking about hitting the fabled 4K/60 for several years. I mean industry leaders as well as hopeful gamers. Now we on the cusp of it and it looks like MS is the only one actually trying to hit it and others are seemingly backing away from it.

It strikes me as odd to say the least given how both factions cared so much about pushing both in the past

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:

People who think Microsoft will "do better" with their July presentation are vastly underestimating what Sony did. There is nothing MS can show that will generate more buzz. Maybe only something impossible like GTA6 being time-exclusive for a year. Not happening.
     The PS5 presentation was some avengers endgame levels of buzz, regardless of the 1% of people who thought "it wasn't anything special and that MS can easily do better".

Wasn't the average rating for the PS5 conference online something like 7 or 7.5/10? That's good, but not amazing. I don't think it would be all that hard for MS to match or top the Sony show, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft's 2018 E3 show averaged around 7 or 7.5/10 online. 

One thing of note is that many of Sony's 1st party studios released late gen PS4 games, that is why Sony had so few 1st party games on their PS5 show (just GT7, Horizon 2, Astro's Playroom, Ratchet & Clank, and a Spider-Man expansion instead of a full-on sequel). MS by comparison had far more 1st party studios and teams saved up for next gen than Sony. 5 have already been announced (Halo Infinite, Everwild, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, and Grounded), with many more 1st party teams known to have games pretty far along in development that will likely release before the end of 2022, including Playground RPG (Fable reboot rumored), The Initiative (Perfect Dark reboot rumored), Turn 10 (Forza Motorsport 8), Playground Racing (Forza Horizon 5), Undead Labs (State of Decay 3), Obsidian AAA team (3D AAA Pillars of Eternity rumored), and Double Fine (they have multiple teams). Many of those could be announced on the July show, not all but some for sure. 

Sony compensated for having less 1st party with several 2nd party games, like Sackboy, Returnal, Destruction All-Stars, and Demon's Souls remake. That is perfectly fine, but MS is also known to have many 2nd party deals in the works. Several unreleased 2nd party games are already announced, including Age of Empires 4, Flight Simulator, Battletoads, Tell Me Why, and Gears Tactics console port. But it is known that there are many more 2nd party games in the works through Xbox Global Publishing, including whatever Ken Lobb has been working on as a Creative Director for the last 4 years. It was implied in an interview with the head of Xbox Global Publishing earlier this year that there are 10+ unannounced XGP games in development currently, I wouldn't be surprised if at least four 2nd party games are announced on the July show. 

One area where the Sony show will almost certainly have MS beat is on 3rd party deals. MS announced most or all of their 3rd party exclusives at their shorter May show, games like The Medium, The Ascent, Call of the Sea, and Scorn. Sony by comparison moneyhatted timed exclusivity on AAA 3rd parties like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo from Bethesda, as well as Luminous' Project Athia. They also had several A and AA timed 3rd party exclusives on their show, like Kena, Bugsnax, Godfall, Solar Ash, and Stray. Phil Spencer by comparison has said he is against the practice of moneyhatting 3rd party exclusives, and only makes 3rd party exclusivity deals if he doesn't have to buy them, which is why we see fewer 3rd party exclusivity deals on Xbox, none of which are AAA. MS can't compete with Sony in 3rd party exclusivity deals unless they are willing to moneyhat, it's just not possible. So unless Phil has changed that stance since last year, we aren't likely to see the MS July show match Sony's June show on 3rd party deals.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 30 June 2020

sales2099 said:
Don: I agree with everything you said. Just that we’ve been taking about hitting the fabled 4K/60 for several years. I mean industry leaders as well as hopeful gamers. Now we on the cusp of it and it looks like MS is the only one actually trying to hit it and others are seemingly backing away from it.

It strikes me as odd to say the least given how both factions cared so much about pushing both in the past

You're essentially halving performance when targeting 60fps. The games that are going all out on visuals will go 30FPS. And that will be the majority of major devs. Thinking you'll see the majority next games at 60fps is frankly quite optimistic and I dare say naive. With raytracing you can forget 4K 60. Not even RTX 2080 Ti can handle that on current gen games. Just look at Cyberpunk 2077, that demo was running on a high end PC with RT @1080P.

I would bet big money that the next GTA will be 4k 30. Its by design and up for developers, unless you just want an evolutionary jump from last generation. With more pixels and effects.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 June 2020

Mordred11 said:

People who think Microsoft will "do better" with their July presentation are vastly underestimating what Sony did. There is nothing MS can show that will generate more buzz. Maybe only something impossible like GTA6 being time-exclusive for a year. Not happening.
     The PS5 presentation was some avengers endgame levels of buzz, regardless of the 1% of people who thought "it wasn't anything special and that MS can easily do better".

Thats the thing. I dont care about buzz or what anyone else thinks about either presentation. For me, I wasnt impressed with the ps5 presentation and Microsoft can "do better" pretty easily to appeal TO ME. At the end of the day, that is all that matters to each individual person.

sales2099 said:

Never cared for 60fps. But you are right. We even had one Sony figure head saying "give me 60fps or give me death", I think he is still alive even with Sony not putting many 60fps games at all =p

And sure I think it would be fine to allow gamers three toggles (at least), resolution, framerate, effects. So people can choose what is the best option for them. And with Series S on the way it is quite possible that we get it, just hope that the stronger consoles don't get the same low effort that they got gen 8.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Who ever said 4k/60fps is the holy grail of gaming? I remember playing games like Far Cry 3 in 4k back in 2012 on a GTX970. It's not like 4k and 60fps is something completely new. It's just that it's hard to do with more demanding games.

I have to say things are a bit confusing now that Lockhart seems to really be a 4Tflops next gen console. If that is the case, developers could target it as the base console and all of those 12Tflops can be used for little more than just a boost in resolution and framerate. I just pray to the gaming gods that isn't the case and that Lockhart will be more like the ps5 digital only console. 

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Who ever said 4k/60fps is the holy grail of gaming? I remember playing games like Far Cry 3 in 4k back in 2012 on a GTX970. It's not like 4k and 60fps is something completely new. It's just that it's hard to do with more demanding games.

I have to say things are a bit confusing now that Lockhart seems to really be a 4Tflops next gen console. If that is the case, developers could target it as the base console and all of those 12Tflops can be used for little more than just a boost in resolution and framerate. I just pray to the gaming gods that isn't the case and that Lockhart will be more like the ps5 digital only console. 

You really can’t chime in with “I’m a pc gamer” when this was clearly something console gamers and console industry leaders were predicting to come with great excitement. 

I’m not gonna have this endless debate with you on the second paragraph. You firmly stuck in your beliefs so we gotta see the proof when it comes. We all know Lockhart will sacrifice specs for price so you can pray to your gods for something else you can thank me later :)

Honestly 120fps at 1080p would be top notch for most games i play on a console
Ever since crossplay with pc became a thing that has become a must for me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

If you want to have 4k60fps as standard and if MS follows that you better be ready to have XSX games looking substantially inferior to the ones on PS5 when a dev like ND decides to push the envelope to the limit and choose 1440p30fps, because XSX doesn't have that much higher power to have better visuals while doing twice framerate and twice pixel count.

True that, and its exactly why the Series X's May event got so much crap. Everything they showed was targeting 4k/60fps and it didn't leave much room for improving overall fidelity compared to current gen. 

Hmm, I do not remember people complaining about the graphics of those games during that event, instead they mostly complained that there were not actual gameplay which was stated.  The thing about graphics is they are great to show off but if the experience is choppy and not smooth then the experience of actually playing the game can be frustrating.  Targeting a smooth experience is always will be more preferred then graphical fidelity.  In reality when it comes to consoles, people just change their goalpost depending on the console they like the most.  I really see not difference in this thread. I have seen enough console bitch fighting to know that people will champion what their console does the best and crap on the others for what benefit I have no clue.

hinch said:
sales2099 said:

You're essentially halving performance when targeting 60fps. The games that are going all out on visuals will go 30FPS. And that will be the majority of major devs. Thinking you'll see the majority next games at 60fps is frankly quite optimistic and I dare say naive. With raytracing you can forget 4K 60. Not even RTX 2080 Ti can handle that on current gen games. Just look at Cyberpunk 2077, that demo was running on a high end PC with RT @1080P.

I would bet big money that the next GTA will be 4k 30. Its by design and up for developers, unless you just want an evolutionary jump from last generation. With more pixels and effects.

GTA6 will target 1440p30. It's going to span 3 console generations again since it has worked out well for GTA 5. GTA 5 on ps5 and Series X target the 4K60 crowd, GTA6 won't do that until ps6 / Series Y.