By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Worse mistakes you made while building/repairing a PC

Got a stick of EDO RAM to get Win95 running smooth for Christmas but it just didn't work. I believe EDO required dual sticks to run or something but there was no money left to get a second stick.

I might have been scammed by an ebayer just now, story is evolving.

Around the Network

I built my first PC in May, and I had no problems putting it together. However, I had a really stupid moment where I plugged in my HDMI cord and I could hear my PC working, but no screen. I tried for about an hour to figure out if everything was plugged in correctly, which everything was. It turned out I plugged my HDMI cord into my motherboard and not my GPU. Since my motherboard and CPU don't have integrated graphics I can't use my motherboard's HDMI slot. I felt so dumb after I realized I plugged in my cable in the wrong HDMI slot.

When I was little I cleaned the back of my PC with a very wet towel. I thought since it was hot, it needed some drastic cooling down. My father ended up giving me a good beating for it.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Not applying thermal paste on the CPU after installing a new heat/sync/fan. Such dumb. Ended up buying a gaming laptop after I basically ruined the speed of my desktop. Live and learn!

Dulfite said:

Not applying thermal paste on the CPU after installing a new heat/sync/fan. Such dumb. Ended up buying a gaming laptop after I basically ruined the speed of my desktop. Live and learn!

Didn't the heat sink come with thermal paste pre-applied? Or was it an used one?

Around the Network
vivster said:

I completely fucked the pins on a 200€ ITX mainboard. Immediately bought the exact board again and threw the other in the trash to destroy the evidence.

Same here never had any trouble with half a dozen new builds, but somehow  fucked the pins and like you bought a new one and took the old one to a local comp store, they verified the pins were damaged, told them it was like it out of the box and the site I bought it from replaced it and then  told them since I was busy and just so happened to have all the parts with me they could finish it.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Dulfite said:

Didn't the heat sink come with thermal paste pre-applied? Or was it an used one?

Nope, it came with some in a packet that I didn't bother to use out of ignorance haha.

numberwang said:

Got a stick of EDO RAM to get Win95 running smooth for Christmas but it just didn't work. I believe EDO required dual sticks to run or something but there was no money left to get a second stick.

I might have been scammed by an ebayer just now, story is evolving.

EDO Ram can work fine in single channel.

What likely happened is you bought a DIMM rather than a SIMM module that your motherboard wasn't compatible with.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--