5 5 13.16%

6 11 28.95%

7 1 2.63%

8 2 5.26%

9 5 13.16%

10 9 23.68%

Total:38
John2290 said:
I almost can't with this story anymore, it's so damn trivial for such large portions of the game. Dramatic soap opera shit with weak ass writing and then boom they throw in an oscar worthy section with some of the best performances in gaming going from B teir day time soap opera to stellar levels of production. It's so mishmashed and the actual story on the journey feels like an after thought and a lost uncharted script that got scrapped for being terrible with thr names changed from Nathan and Elena to Ellie and Dina... wait that's a terible disservice to elenas character. Dina might be the worst in recent memory.

No matter how good thia game is or what beats the story hits or the conclusion this game will never rise above a 9 for me and likely not an eight unless it gets more inlvoved ASAP, at ten hours in (slow playing) only two of those hours were actual TLOU teir story telling.
The journey is campy and the pacing is so far off the mark I'd nearly drop to a seven when all ia said and done if things don't chnage. It's such a puty too cause the game is so fucking good and amazing to play it's next level stuff and the graphics on PRO, it's almost like a PS5 launch game from the PS5 event but without the shiney reflections. As long as you are back far enough so the film grain effect fadws away, I prefer my VR swivel chair for any gaming these days so I' usually four to five feet from my 49 inch TV and I had to scrap the office chair for this, at 7 feet it looks like Bullshots even in motion apart from the odd frame pacing issue and at 10 feet it looks like you're playing a film. It lacks the crisp punchiness of RDR and the detailed animations but makes up for it in other ways and the animations are a far cry over RDR in speed and fluidity. The HDR is good with colour and contrast but you rarely get to see an area that makes use of luminosity but when you do it's incredible, there is a part when you leave a school at the first human Gunfight and you walk out across this roof to see an overcast sky with some 80's looking block flats and with HDR that shit looks real. As for the resolution it's hard to tell with thr film grain when you look up close but it doean't have the blurryness of RDR2 or slight ailsing of death stranding but who knows what's under the film grain filter. Sound is incredible too, it has VR worthy 3d sound and everything is one point.

Perhaps you have to consider that life is made of mostly dull moments with sparks of big excitement. And the game cover that, day-to-day generic teen talk (since protagonist is a teenager) with sections of epic.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:

snip

Please read OP, no spoilers and only first hand experience in the thread. You`ll notice that I haven`t put my impressions and only you and immerse have put second hand impressions from YT or the like.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
John2290 said:
I almost can't with this story anymore, it's so damn trivial for such large portions of the game. Dramatic soap opera shit with weak ass writing and then boom they throw in an oscar worthy section with some of the best performances in gaming going from B teir day time soap opera to stellar levels of production. It's so mishmashed and the actual story on the journey feels like an after thought and a lost uncharted script that got scrapped for being terrible with thr names changed from Nathan and Elena to Ellie and Dina... wait that's a terible disservice to elenas character. Dina might be the worst in recent memory.

No matter how good thia game is or what beats the story hits or the conclusion this game will never rise above a 9 for me and likely not an eight unless it gets more inlvoved ASAP, at ten hours in (slow playing) only two of those hours were actual TLOU teir story telling.
The journey is campy and the pacing is so far off the mark I'd nearly drop to a seven when all ia said and done if things don't chnage. It's such a puty too cause the game is so fucking good and amazing to play it's next level stuff and the graphics on PRO, it's almost like a PS5 launch game from the PS5 event but without the shiney reflections. As long as you are back far enough so the film grain effect fadws away, I prefer my VR swivel chair for any gaming these days so I' usually four to five feet from my 49 inch TV and I had to scrap the office chair for this, at 7 feet it looks like Bullshots even in motion apart from the odd frame pacing issue and at 10 feet it looks like you're playing a film. It lacks the crisp punchiness of RDR and the detailed animations but makes up for it in other ways and the animations are a far cry over RDR in speed and fluidity. The HDR is good with colour and contrast but you rarely get to see an area that makes use of luminosity but when you do it's incredible, there is a part when you leave a school at the first human Gunfight and you walk out across this roof to see an overcast sky with some 80's looking block flats and with HDR that shit looks real. As for the resolution it's hard to tell with thr film grain when you look up close but it doean't have the blurryness of RDR2 or slight ailsing of death stranding but who knows what's under the film grain filter. Sound is incredible too, it has VR worthy 3d sound and everything is one point.

Perhaps you have to consider that life is made of mostly dull moments with sparks of big excitement. And the game cover that, day-to-day generic teen talk (since protagonist is a teenager) with sections of epic.

Even if that's what they were going for, that doesn't automatically make it good. Just because you're trying to make a point, or pursuing a certain theme, doesn't mean the result is necessarily a praiseworthy product.

This has actually been a rather disturbing trend among media members as well of late (not just in gaming either). Supposed journalists either being unable, or unwilling to distinguish between the themes and messages of the products they're reviewing, and the actual execution, structure, pacing, etc that said themes are packaged in. How the themes are delivered is apparently not as important as the fact that they're delivered at all, and how they align with the reviewer's own world views.

To use your example then, if a developer wants to make a point of highlighting the monotony of our own every day life by including a lot of monotony in their survival-action game....chances are, a lot of people are not going to find that particularly fun, engaging, or particularly worthwhile. Because most people don't play video games to be reminded of how many unremarkable, unexciting, or generally uninspired events/interactions real life is comprised of. In practice then, this is objectively bad design, and a failure to recognize it as such is a failure in proper overall criticism. 

And to be clear, while I'm aware of the overall plot of TLOU2, and have seen various segments of it in video, I don't know how much of what you've described applies to the whole 20some hour game. I'm just using the scenario you described in a general fashion if one was to apply it over the course of an entire experience.

Angelus said:
DonFerrari said:

Even if that's what they were going for, that doesn't automatically make it good. Just because you're trying to make a point, or pursuing a certain theme, doesn't mean the result is necessarily a praiseworthy product.

This has actually been a rather disturbing trend among media members as well of late (not just in gaming either). Supposed journalists either being unable, or unwilling to distinguish between the themes and messages of the products they're reviewing, and the actual execution, structure, pacing, etc that said themes are packaged in. How the themes are delivered is apparently not as important as the fact that they're delivered at all, and how they align with the reviewer's own world views.

To use your example then, if a developer wants to make a point of highlighting the monotony of our own every day life by including a lot of monotony in their survival-action game....chances are, a lot of people are not going to find that particularly fun, engaging, or particularly worthwhile. Because most people don't play video games to be reminded of how many unremarkable, unexciting, or generally uninspired events/interactions real life is comprised of. In practice then, this is objectively bad design, and a failure to recognize it as such is a failure in proper overall criticism. 

And to be clear, while I'm aware of the overall plot of TLOU2, and have seen various segments of it in video, I don't know how much of what you've described applies to the whole 20some hour game. I'm just using the scenario you described in a general fashion if one was to apply it over the course of an entire experience.

Hey I didn`t say it is good or fun. I said that it could have been done with intent, to make the conversation among teens very mundane and annoying as they are in real life. That will mostly upset us in games as it does in real life =p

DonFerrari said:
hinch said:

Yeah I would definitely check that out. I would assume that you were on more on the priority shipping since you ordered 2 months ago. I was stupid and ordered on the weekend before release! Guess it was partially my fault.

Sucks. If I knew earlier that I was ordering from a non UK company I would have sucked up the few extra pounds and gone on Amazon. Now we wait Oh well, lesson learned. Can you not change the GoT preorder?

Got my confirmation for shipping, expected delivery date is tomorrow (June 23th).

Nice, you're in for a treat! I got mine today and already 4 hours in. Its amazing so far.. can't stop playing xD

Around the Network

Yeah, I just finished it and my god this game. Its a masterpiece. Not only the best game Ive played this year, but one of the greatest games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I love everything about it. Far surpasses the original imo.

I know there are people who have issues with it, I didnt find any, but denying yourself the experience of this game is something you should seriously rethink.

It probably sounds like Im fucking working for Naughty Dog at this point, but I want to go out and scream from the rooftops about how great this game is.

Fucking hell what an experience...

Marth said:

But they have clearly titled it PART 2 so people with a brain should get the message that there was a story for it beforehand. Looking at you FF7 Remake which should be called Part 1.

Yet the first The Last of Us game isn’t called Part 1.

Hynad said:
Marth said:

But they have clearly titled it PART 2 so people with a brain should get the message that there was a story for it beforehand. Looking at you FF7 Remake which should be called Part 1.

Thats because TLOU Part 2 is a sequel and not part 2 of a remake.

KLXVER said:
Hynad said:

Sure. But the example was sketchy at best. FfVIIR’s sequel will most likely have Part 2 or some other title of that type attached to it. 

Hynad said:
KLXVER said:

Sure. But the example was sketchy at best. FfVIIR’s sequel will most likely have Part 2 or some other title of that type attached to it. 

Yes but the difference is with the first TLOU, they didn't know if a sequel would be made so calling part 1 would be weird. With FF7R we know for a fact that this is part 1 of multiple parts so they should have indicated that that was the case.