By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite the Biggest Halo? Sales Prediction

Lifetime sales of Halo Infinite?

0-3 million 3 7.69%

3-6 million 9 23.08%

6-9 million 7 17.95%

9-12 million 10 25.64%

12-15 million 6 15.38%

15-18 million 0 0%

18-21 million 2 5.13%

21-24 million 1 2.56%

above 24 million 1 2.56%

Total:39
Leynos said:
Of actual sales. 3-8 million. With game pass maybe 13-15 million players but the game itself won't sell a ton at full price. Just doing a lazy open world is not the problem solver for a series losing relevance. Didn't help Gears 5 either. They need to re-invent the mechanics and series to gain new fans. Otherwise just clinging onto an existing fanbase that is declining.

Open world isn't lazy, its just modern game design. Games have had great success leaning into this, so its silly to just dismiss it as lazy.

Being a Gears fan, I actually felt Gears 5 was very notable release. Every Gears game has been virtually the same in core gameplay, Gears 5 felt surprisingly fresh and the general consensus was positive. Gears 4 was underwhelming, Gears 5 was very unique for the series as a whole, maybe Gears 6 will raise the bar further.

Halo 5 wasn't bad but had some genuine problems. Campaign was short and felt half baked. The switch to 60 fps was great but the engine didn't seem equipped for the job visually. Multiplayer was solid but no split screen, a Halo staple.

Halo Infinite could make people happy simply by addressing much of that. People have also complained about the series being too linear, therefore a more open world-ish game is what people are asking for.

I think what's most important for these series is they consistently just do well. I mean if 5-10+ million players still playing these games, whether it be from Gamepass or actual purchases, then I'd say these games are still pretty relevant.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

This game is the base of the "10 years halo project", it will hit 9M sales for sure.
9M-12M for me.

Mr Puggsly said:
Leynos said:
Of actual sales. 3-8 million. With game pass maybe 13-15 million players but the game itself won't sell a ton at full price. Just doing a lazy open world is not the problem solver for a series losing relevance. Didn't help Gears 5 either. They need to re-invent the mechanics and series to gain new fans. Otherwise just clinging onto an existing fanbase that is declining.

Open world isn't lazy, its just modern game design. Games have had great success leaning into this, so its silly to just dismiss it as lazy.

Being a Gears fan, I actually felt Gears 5 was very notable release. Every Gears game has been virtually the same in core gameplay, Gears 5 felt surprisingly fresh and the general consensus was positive. Gears 4 was underwhelming, Gears 5 was very unique for the series as a whole, maybe Gears 6 will raise the bar further.

Halo 5 wasn't bad but had some genuine problems. Campaign was short and felt half baked. The switch to 60 fps was great but the engine didn't seem equipped for the job visually. Multiplayer was solid but no split screen, a Halo staple.

Halo Infinite could make people happy simply by addressing much of that. People have also complained about the series being too linear, therefore a more open world-ish game is what people are asking for.

I think what's most important for these series is they consistently just do well. I mean if 5-10+ million players still playing these games, whether it be from Gamepass or actual purchases, then I'd say these games are still pretty relevant.

Open world is not modern. Tacking on open world without having elements that make it feel alive is a lazy tacked on to solve all in their mind. Lighting is bad. Grass and trees don't sway or move at all. Halo looks flat and lifeless.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Open world is not modern. Tacking on open world without having elements that make it feel alive is a lazy tacked on to solve all in their mind. Lighting is bad. Grass and trees don't sway or move at all. Halo looks flat and lifeless.

I said, "open world-ish." The trailer actually made the world look more lively than before, those birds got me stoked.

Vegetation sway is a day two patch.

IGN: Grass doesn't sway... 4/10.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Leynos said:

I said, "open world-ish." The trailer actually made the world look more lively than before, those birds got me stoked.

It's more than just a patch. It also has to do with MS being poor supervising projects this past gen and using an outdated engine they are trying to work around with mixed results  https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hyqtkm/they_already_have_warned_us/

I'm leaving this hear and not going to continue this for pages on end.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's more than just a patch. It also has to do with MS being poor supervising projects this past gen and using an outdated engine they are trying to work around with mixed results  https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hyqtkm/they_already_have_warned_us/

I'm leaving this hear and not going to continue this for pages on end.

I don't know what the issue is ultimately given we haven't seen the final product or what the engine is truly capable of. The engine may seem more impressive when Series X is the lead.

I kept expectations fairly low on the visual side, primarily due to the base X1 focus and 60 fps.

Either way, I got the hardware and years of Gamepass. So I will play it regardless.

Recently Completed

I think it will be a much more popular game than Halo 5 has proved to be... but will 'sell' fewer copies. Game pass is pretty compelling.

sales2099 said:

Im not sure if title is intentional, but sales only is kinda a piece of the pie. We can’t track digital purchases nor Game Pass players. I think overall players is a far more accurate metric, we simply don’t just traditionally buy games like we used to anymore.

Now if we recognize this, ima say 6-10 million. Total players across Xbox generations, Pc and Game Pass? That’s tougher but I’ll say 15-20 million. It’s gonna Pass Halo 3 and to me that’s the biggest win MS can hope for

Like many said, Gamepass really did make determining actual sales much more more difficult, but maybe in the future we will get some actual sales announcements.  The strong start to Infinite certainly makes even the largest sales predictions easily reachable.  It's good to see new life breathed into a great franchise.  

The game just launched 7 weeks ago and already at 20 million players.  That is massive.  With the delay that occurred and all the obstacles they had to overcome, this is well-deserved and well-earned.  The life-time numbers are going to be huge.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Hard to compare something that is on Game Pass and is free-to-play vs. something that people had to fork over fifty and sixty dollars for. Actually, strike that. It's pretty much impossible lol.

This is hard to compare, as a lot of people will be playing on gamepass. The game could be wildly more successful than Halo 3 for all we know, but the sales numbers will never reflect that. Day 1 releases on gamepass make it hard to compare the success of modern MS games to past ones based on sales data alone.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261