By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 will far outsell Xbox Series X, predicts analyst - what's yours ?

Tagged games:

What do you think

I am agree 50 57.47%

I have my own prediction 7 8.05%

I am slightly agree 10 11.49%

Yes , but 6 6.90%

No i am totally not agree 7 8.05%

Lets see and wait 7 8.05%

Total:87

I expect PS5 to get near the 120M and XSX 80M if the markket expands. If not PS5 at 100M and XSX 60M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I can see the Xbox X and the budget version limited to 1080p doing well. Personally I have both Xbox One and PS4 and this new generation I will be concentrating more on PC and perhaps buying a PS5 with optical drive when it hits a low price point. I stopped my psn and xbox live subscriptions as I just didn't see the point anymore. I find I'm only interested in a few exclusive console games and enjoy single player experiences most of all and multiplayer is free on PC anyway. Microsoft will price their console so they don't fall too far behind in sales they will react to the commercial reality. I can see the lower power Xbox X model reaching a mass market price point long before the PS5 without optical drive.

While there's still some unknowns (esp. price) that could affect market share, on a global basis we should always expect PlayStation to beat Xbox globally barring something going very wrong on Sony's end. Even with everything going in MS's favor last generation, the PS3 still sold at an overall faster rate than the 360 on a global basis and most likely edged out the 360 by time the two systems were discontinued (we never had a true final count for the 360, but it was unlikely to have sold what it needed after the last sales update to tie the PS3). While the 360 dominated the PS3 in the U.S. and UK, it struggled against the PS3 in mainland Europe (where there is a tremendous brand loyalty to PlayStation) and sold poorly in Japan.

With that being said, I think it's still possible for things to shift slightly in MS's favor. Assuming equal prices and no real screw-ups between now and launch (and both Sony and MS have been playing it safe this go around), it would not surprise me if the PS5 and XSX are in a dead heat in North America, a market that is known for being very fickle with no clear brand loyalty. Considering how often the UK market is a mirror of the U.S. market, it's possible that could end up being the case there as well. But the PS5 will dominate continental Europe, and Japan will almost certainly continue to mostly ignore Xbox. I could see the final split between the two potentially ending up something like 100-110M for the PS5 and 65-70M for the XSX.

And I do not share the author's pessimism that the console market will experience significant shrinkage. While combined PS4+XBO sales in the U.S. will likely fall short of combined 360+PS3 sales, that gap can be attributed to the simple fact that the 360 had eight years on the market instead of seven. In terms of overall sales rate, the PS4 and XBO have had very strong combined sales in the U.S. that have outpaced what the PS3 & 360 did in their first 6-½ years. In Europe, meanwhile, combined PS4 & XBO sales should end up at least a few million units better than combined PS3 & 360 sales. There has been some shrinkage in Japan, however, but not enough to have a significant impact on global sales. The console market in general seems to be roughly zero-growth. I don't expect combined PS5+XSX sales to be less than those of combined PS4+XBO sales, but I don't expect them to be higher, either. I think they'll be roughly flat, assuming another 7-year cycle.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Europe and Japan will remain a problem for xbox

I have a feeling things will be more even this time round tbh.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
vonny said:

Why xbox has been cheaper than the ps4 for the majority of the generation and it's been smashed in sales.

Not sure why people are saying the xbox will do better this time since theyre not making mistakes, to gain back market they've lost they have to win people back not just "not stuff up again". Playstation hasn't dropped the ball like the ps3 or Microsoft with the xbox one the default opening isn't there like in the pass, they've done little to show why you should leave the playstation line.

The Xbox One hasn't been smashed in the USA despite being the clearly inferior console, that's why an XSX at the same price of the PS5 would gain market share. We already know that the XSX is more powerful than the PS5 and it's also looking likely that the XSX will have the better launch titles, so at least in the USA the XSX would be chosen over the PS5. That may only be a single country, but it's the biggest country for the console market by far and has a long history of not pledging loyalty to any console manufacturer.

The Xbox X was more powerful than the PS4 and didn't change the sales or perception, your folly is thinking the ps4 gain traction from it's power at the start of the generation. This thread is nothing about the US but world wide sales and America is making up less less of the overall world wide sales as gaming grows in South America, Asia and the Middle East.

As for launch titles we have no idea what will be there but we do know that all xbox series x titles will be also on the xbox one, so why do people need to upgrade, why's it any different than the xbox one X. Microsoft need to sell another upgrade to the xbox one X that will be tough sale.

With Japan and Europe never actually being on Microsofts side, it is a safe bet PS5 will perform better than XBSX, regardless of price, since 650 EU PS3 managed to sell great despite being overpriced.

JapaneseGamesLover said:
With Japan and Europe never actually being on Microsofts side, it is a safe bet PS5 will perform better than XBSX, regardless of price, since 650 EU PS3 managed to sell great despite being overpriced.

so for whom is it a good deal consumers get ripped off?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

He didn't say anything about it being a good deal.

vonny said:
kirby007 said:

He didn't say anything about it being a good deal.

it was if you read between the lines

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.