By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your mind, what will the Xbox SX conference have to do to beat the PS5 conference?

Tagged games:

Answer the damned question!

Fantastic games 65 51.18%

100% backwards compatible with every Xbox 3 2.36%

VR Support 3 2.36%

Shockingly low price 21 16.54%

There's NOTHING they can do 31 24.41%

Other (please explain) 4 3.15%

Total:127

* Xbox one series S is 299 dollars
* Halo Infinite
* Hell Blade 2
* Flight Simulator
* Forza 8
* Brand new AAA ip
* Show off some third party AAA games with actual gameplay
* Smart Delivery and backwards compatibility.
* Another big studio acquisition (they should look at Remedy games).

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

And yet Sea of Thieves is more popular then any game they made when working for Nintendo. Quality drastically went up too. A lot of old school Rare fans for some reason refuse to acknowledge this and hold their classics up on a pedestal. Id say it’s a new renaissance for them going forward. I don’t know much about Everwild but damn does it intrigue me. 

How did you measure any off that? As far as I'm aware sot never breaks into the top 20 on twitch. And we have some ancient games in the top 20. Even valorant which is consifer a huge failure is there.

Sales? Never will know as ms only tells us players who probably at one point at least tried it. They dont even say active players or individual purchases.

Quality? By who's standard? I have never seen an outlet come out and praise how good sot is now. Granted I don't follow every outlet. But the is no buzz online of this game.

SOT is 15 at twitch with 44.000 viewers RIGHT THIS MOMENT.

We don't know exact numbers but SOT was Xbox ones fastest selling new ip of this gen and it was at second place of Steam top sellers 2 weeks after it's release.

IGN and Gamespot has re-reviewed it and both gave it an 8. Plus, it has great user reviews on steam.

This has to be one of the most misinformed posts i have ever seen.

Last edited by DeusXmachina - on 16 June 2020

sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

I've already explained to you that acquiring studios for Microsoft doesn't mean squat. they 'acquired' rare and destroyed that company in the subsequent years and no other developer of theirs has really come out the gate kicking with anything good or new or interesting. When it all boils down to it, Xbox is STILL just Halo, Gears, and Forza while Sony released how many new IPs last generation? Hell, even Nintendo has added to their roster with Splatoon and ARMs 

and what lineup are you talking about aside from Halo Infinite? This year Sony has FFVII remake, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, and how many from that presentation? and keep in mind, those first three games are all on PS4, showing that, even late-generation, they still support their consoles. Xbox doesn't have that. when was the last Xbox Exclusive that knocked your socks off? Forza Horizon 4 last year? when was the last Ps4 exclusive? Just this week with The Last of Us Part 2.

Honestly, I want to like Microsoft. I think competition is important in this industry. However, after owning an original Xbox (Barely used it outside of Halo LAN parties and Morrowind), an Xbox 360 (first one Red-Ringed, the other I mainly used for Call of Duty, Halo, and Gears online), and an Xbox One (I literally spent more time updating the firmware on that console than playing games on it and I got it in 2014), They lost me. Outright lost me. They're not a good company. They mandated better online services and indie titles, but now Sony and even Nintendo do that just as well and in some cases even better; they have nothing left to offer me and I'm genuinely shocked anyone else feels otherwise. you know, unless you're SUPER into Halo, Gears, and Forza. 

Well first I’d say to not let your jaded past on the subject cloud the future. Sea of Thieves is a gem now. A real comeback story with arguably as passionate a community as their N64 days. Then you have Wasteland 3, and a quick google search will show you that MSs involvement has only made the game better. Mojang with Minecraft has sold 150 million since its acquisition with tons of support and updates. 
I wouldn’t say it’s all gloomy and it’s kinda silly to disregard spending untold hundreds of millions to acquire half a dozen studios.

So far this year Xbox has Ori 2, Gears Tactics, Bleeding Edge, and Minecraft Dungeons. Later we got Tell Me Why, Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, Battletoads, Flight Simulator, Halo Infinite. Forza 8 not official yet but likely this year. I know what you are going to say, that these are multiplats and smaller titles with Halo and Forza. You aren’t wrong, but this is the start of their efforts taking shape. This lineup is certainly better then Xbox’s last few years and will go out on a high note with Halo to cap it off. 

At the very least you gotta admit this is more games then usual and more genre diversity so there’s something for everyone. In Xbox’s defense, Sony is playing their best cards with PS4 in the summer, it’s ultimately Xbox One that’s getting support late year and beyond. And i can’t say I agree with disregarding the July show with the pedigree of certain studios under MSs umbrella that have been largely silent for a few years now. Just try to watch the July show with a open mind.

Please tell me you're kidding. Just, overall clearly not being serious. Because, as I mentioned repeatedly, this isn't just a one-off issue of me being scorned, it's a repeating pattern of Microsoft overpromising and underdelivering. And Sea of thieves might be good now, but they had a chance to impress me back at launch and it was absolute garbage. I don't expect a game to be perfect at launch, but I am not and will not support any developer that thinks it can get me to pay 80 CAD for a game at launch that is basically a shell of an idea with little to no content in the vague promises that it might be better later. It didn't work for No Man's Sky, it didn't work for Sea of Thieves, and it won't work in the future. 

There's plenty of high-quality content out there to keep me busy, I am not interested in picking up games that might get better later. God of War 2018 was damn near perfect at launch. Horizon Zero Dawn was near perfect at launch. Spider-Man was nearly perfect at launch. Breath of the wild was perfect at launch. Mario Odyssey was perfect at launch. sure, some glitch fixes and tweaks were needed but these were full games at launch and did nothing but get better. There's no excuse for a game like Sea of Thieves to have the same early-access garbage release schedule as some minor-league indie title on steam. That is not okay. Something like Stardew Valley or Minecraft get away with it because they were indie titles with only a handful of staff working on them. Rare is a reasonably sized studio with Microsoft of all companies backing them. I will not support that. 

And when was the last time Rare had an IP that anyone actually cared about? I heard more from Rare when Banjo and Kazooie were released in Smash than anything since Microsoft bought them. Your argument is bad, the game is too little too late, and it's sad how far people have to go to defend it just so that they have SOMETHING to cling onto. 

And like I said, this isn't 'jaded' Runa. I'm not simply sad or dejected or feeling betrayed. I don't care about huge corporations, I'm basing my purchasing and hype levels off market trends, research, personal experience, and extrapolated future prospects. This isn't just me whining that they disappointed me, it's me saying 'well, they had 20 years to figure something out, the closest they got was still a failed console, and even when they do kinda good they never keep it up.'

The original Xbox was mediocre. IT sold poorly - barely besting the Gamecube, which was a famously poor-selling console - and only had a handful of exclusives. as a result, Sony beat it by something 6:1. This is forgivable, as it was Microsoft's first console. However, the last 2 years of its life were barren except Halo 2. Then they rushed the Xbox 360 to market with laughable architecture, but a solid games lineup. 2005-2009 were Microsoft's time. They brought online gaming on home console to the foreground and reinvigorated indie titles, but after that the tides shifted and 2010-2013 were, once again, pretty barren as they geared up for the Xbox One. Then, Xbox One came out, people hated it becuase they tried to stranglehold the industry, and while the first few years were successful, 2017-2020 have all been absolutely barren on the console. 

Do you see a pattern here? They start strong (ish) but finish poorly. Even if the Xbox Series X had the best launch lineup of all time and an incredibly solid first year, I have absolutely zero faith they'd be able to give me value for my money in the long run. I might get 3-5 years out of it, then for the second half of the 9th generation, I'll once again exclusively be playing Nintendo and Sony consoles, because they have the exclusives I care about and they release games that are whole at launch. 

You keep going on about how they 'purchased all these studios', but history has told me they will not do anything with them. I shouldn't have to keep arguing in circles about it. I will not trust a word they say or an investment they make until they can prove to me that they aren't going to royally fuck it up. That's a lack of brand loyalty and trust. Sony has my trust becuase, ever since 1994, they have proven that their consoles get support long into their twilight years, that they balance first and third parties well, and that they have quality releases on every end of every spectrum. Nintendo has my trust because, even when they fuck up royally, they still give me 5-8 outstanding game-of-the-generation quality games. I would rather buy a WiiU with 5 great games on it that you can't get anywhere else than an Xbox One with yet another Halo, Forza, and Gears triad on it. 

This thread, and the concept of pre-release hype is all about brand loyalty, recognition, trust, and delivery. Microsoft has none of that anymore, especially not from me. This thread is about what it would take for Xbox's presentation to 'beat' Sony's presentation, and I firmly believe nothing can even come close to doing so becuase the Sony presentation gave me four of my most anticipated games/sequels/rereleases I could have hoped for (Seriously, of my top 10 most wanted potential games to be announced, Demon's Souls Remastered, a new Ratchet and Clank, a new Spider-Man, and a sequel to Horizon were all on there). Couple that with their history of delivering, and the balance is remarkably one-sided here. 

I get that you have your biases - we all do - but come on. there has to be a time where you realize you're on a sinking ship. The only reason Microsoft isn't going the way of SEga is that they have literally billions of dollars to waste and still get cash from Xbox Live. 

"At the very least you gotta admit this is more games then usual and more genre diversity so there’s something for everyone." No. Just no. If anything, the Xbox Brand and their games have been more homogenous than ever. Back in the Xbox 360 days, there was a lot of variety, but not anymore. the only 'unique' or interesting games to come out of Microsoft in the last 10 years have been Cuphead and Ori, both of which I have on my Nintendo Switch. 

Xbox really has nothing to offer. their business model is boring and generic, their games are homogenized, their patterns of generational cadence always show a twilight slump, and they haven't done anything to make me want an Xbox since 2009. I bought an Xbox One because I bought into their promises and wanted to see where they went with a clean slate. I played more Animal Crossing: New Horizons (A game I don't even like) Than I did every Xbox One game I own, combined. That is not an exaggeration. I agreed to give them a third chance, and they blew it. Not only did the Xbox One not impress me enough to give them a pass, it was so thoroughly disappointing that there's literally nothing they can do to buy me back prior to the launch of the Series X. 

Like I said, I might pick up a console 2-3 years down the line when it's inevitably cheap, but even then I don't see myself caring. I haven't touched my Xbox One since 2015, but I refuse to sell it 'just in case something comes out'. Nothing ever came out. I never touched it. Everything I want I can get on PS4, Switch, or PC. Even if Microsoft releases something good, I can get it on PC. 

This is why I think they'd be better off just going third party and developing for Sony. They have IPs (The holy trinity of Halo, Gears, and Forza are all strong brands), but that and a few indies really isn't worth buying. 

Nintendo has Mario, Smash, Splatoon, Yoshi, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and quite a few others. Many of these brands have lasted decades and are enjoying their greatest successes while others are monumentally popular new IPs. 

Sony has Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man, and so many others as well. Not only this, but they also are in the habit of reimagining franchises, doing one-offs, and creating new IPs. 

Microsoft has Forza, Gears, and Halo. Oh, and I guess Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice which is getting a sequel...which was bought by Microsoft, not made by them. I would love to see them make a new IP, but last time they tried, Scalebound was Cancelled. 

I would love to get an Xbox Series X, but they need to actually release high quality, fun, unique games and do so for 3-5 years before I can even consider trusting them. Even if they show off something that looks good, I have no faith they'll pull it off. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

I know some studios have multiple teams. But keep in mind that Sony's studios typically have 250 to 450 staff, while most of MS's studios barely have 100. If MS really plans to compete with Sony's 1st party exclusives, I'm not sure splitting up those smaller studios into even smaller teams for passion projects is the smartest thing to do. Personally I think they are doing a lot of smaller games because they want to fill up the Gamepass library and they don't want to take big risks with new AAA ip's, especially next gen exclusives. Maybe I'm wrong but if we look at MS's history, there's a reason why many are skeptical.

I get it that their best games take risks and you get rewarded with great games every gen. Still from my perspective I can only handle so much 3rd person action adventures. I like MP games, FPS, WRPGs and anything turn based. That’s why I prefer Xbox because it covers those bases. And when I got that third person game itch I’ll play Gears or Hellblade. 

By the way with the RTS comment the Xbox ecosystem spans PC and they are committed to making them happy too. Gears Tactics on Pc first, Flight SIM and Age of Empires is to make them catered to as well. From a platform culture perspective its different then Sony still confining everybody to one platform so I understand us not being on the same page. 

Obsidian alone is a great counter to your last point. A big title from them will send a message I’ll admit Xbox couldn’t do in a long time. Throw in the other new studio projects on top of the Xbox trinity and it’s a nice mix of old and new. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 16 June 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

V-r0cK said:
Pyro as Bill said:

MS should just announce the PS5 price alongside the XSX price. Put an asterisk next to the PS5 price with 'rumoured' in smallprint.

XSX = $499

PS5 = $599*

That'll force Sony to do something.

Loll that's not a bad idea and be funny xD 

Tho im sure there's some underline where companies cant do stuff like that to other companies unless its based on actual facts.

Well if the company was underhanded it could pay off books to some newspapers to spread the rumor of the price for PS5 and link that to the "get a second job" of PS3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

To Runa,

Your opinion is not the standard. Clearly there are games that have attracted a audience after its launch. Rainbow Six Seige comes to mind. I get it, you want it all day 1, very traditional guy. Then again a good game is a good game. The nice thing about patches and updates, they can fundamentally change a game into something better. So people who don’t take this as serious as you can simply find a older game that got better and guess what...enjoy themselves.

While you went on a long post to prove you aren’t jaded but convinced through years upon years of not being catered to, your thought process reveals a complex. Yes I am aware of Sony’s consistency while Xbox has never managed to find a stable footing for more then a few years at a time. And yet, they got what I want. I do know writing off people with a different preference then you doesn’t make you come across like you think. 

Again, I’ll just say watch their show with an open mind. Or don’t. I just see that from history, that they never had their shit together like they do now.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
hinch said:

Rare's quality of games has definitely tanked since the acquirement back in 2002. They've only made a handful of good games while under Microsoft. Which is a big contrast when they were creating hit after hit with Nintendo. List here.

And yet Sea of Thieves is more popular then any game they made when working for Nintendo. Quality drastically went up too. A lot of old school Rare fans for some reason refuse to acknowledge this and hold their classics up on a pedestal. Id say it’s a new renaissance for them going forward. I don’t know much about Everwild but damn does it intrigue me. 

You exagerated.

Donkey Kong, Banjo Kazooie, Conker and GoldenEye are much more popular than SoT.

I doubt SoT will be as well regarded and remembered 20 years later as those other titles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bandorr said:

@Runa216 I've chosen to reply instead of quote. What you wrote was really well written, but way too long to quote. So I'm not going to quote it. Well all of it.

". I haven't touched my Xbox One since 2015, but I refuse to sell it 'just in case something comes out'. Nothing ever came out. I never touched it. Everything I want I can get on PS4, Switch, or PC. Even if Microsoft releases something good, I can get it on PC. "

Mine is since 2016 -> Quantum break. It sits in my closest. Had to take the batteries out because they exploded last time I left them in.

My first thought when I saw Scarlet Nexus was "maybe I'll drag out the Xbox one to play it".  Then I found it is coming to the PC. And PS4.

So I continue to wait.

I will also wait. This will be the first time since the 90's I haven't planned on getting every major console. Nintendo and Sony cover all my bases, and whatever they can't do my PC can. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

You exagerated.

Donkey Kong, Banjo Kazooie, Conker and GoldenEye are much more popular than SoT.

I doubt SoT will be as well regarded and remembered 20 years later as those other titles.

Goldeneye sold the most with 7 million approximately. So probably not that. But there’s a good chance SoT has more unique players (that played a decent chunk to gets their times worth) then Banjo and Conker. I mean the N64 only sold 32 million the legs weren’t there in some cases. Conker released so late in the cycle that it was largely ignored. Point is SoT is clearly up there somewhere.

On another note I would also say it’s longevity should be accounted for as well. You have a dedicated community that plays hundreds of hours of the game. Even ones who play once in a while dedicated entire afternoons to get in a good session. That’s enough play time to overlap their older titles many times over. And people playing years later where as Banjo would have been cut off for the next game Rare made in that era. Something to consider. 

sales2099 said:

To Runa,

Your opinion is not the standard. Clearly there are games that have attracted a audience after its launch. Rainbow Six Seige comes to mind. I get it, you want it all day 1, very traditional guy. Then again a good game is a good game. The nice thing about patches and updates, they can fundamentally change a game into something better. So people who don’t take this as serious as you can simply find a older game that got better and guess what...enjoy themselves.

While you went on what is a clearly long rant to prove you aren’t jaded but convinced through years upon years of not being catered to, your thought process reveals a deep superiority complex. I’d love to tell you the reasons why Xbox appeals to me and why Sony just doesn’t, but that’s just us getting into a pissing match. Yes I am aware of Sony’s consistency while Xbox has never managed to find a stable footing for more then a few years at a time. And yet, they got what I want. I do know writing off people with a different preference then you doesn’t make you come across like you think.

Again, I’ll just say watch their show with an open mind. Or don’t. I just see that from history, that they never had their shit together like they do now.

You sure about that? I mean, really sure? 

PS1 - 102.50 million consoles

PS2 - 157.68 million consoles
XBox - 24.65 million consoles

PS3 - 87.41 million consoles
X360 - 85.80 million consoles

PS4 - 111.24 million consoles
XB1 - 47.86 million consoles

Sony's worst-selling console outsold Microsoft's best-selling console. Furthermore, late-stage sales comparisons have Sony consoles catching up and eclipsing or even further dominating the competition. sony's console cycles last 7-13 years and overlap rather than 3-5 years and then die. While I do not speak for everyone, everything I've said is backed up by historical data and general public perception. You are the outlier here, not me. That said, I don't actually CARE what other people think in my personal decisions. Yeah, it seems in this case I line up with the majority, but I wasn't arguing sales, I was arguing output. Subjective matters, not objective facts. I mean, I could bring in the facts, but it really hurts your case. 

Also, I find it absolutely hilarious that this has somehow turned into a pissing match about how I apparently think I'm superior? I mean, what are you even pulling from, there? why do you feel the need to resort to ad hominem jabs? I don't expect Microsoft to 'cater' to me, I'm saying that they haven't given me or many others what they want. for people into shooters, racers, and strictly online multiplayer, sure it works for them. but for people who like story-driven action games, RPGs, or pretty much anything that isn't shooty or vroom vroom, you'd best look elsewhere. 

All these years later, with the 'console wars' long since over and a loser being declared, I still do not quite understand why people feel this is a hill worth dying on. I really, really don't. So many people I know went to PS4 this gen because they actually have games you can't get anywhere else or were designed for the system. They actually have quality, quantity, and variety. 

I mean, some people like very specific things and that's fine, but for the rest of us, there's a reason why PS4 did so much better than Xbox and the hype levels for the PS5 are so much higher than the Xbox Series X, and one of those reasons is that sony has been far more consistent for far longer and catering to a far wider variety of fans and genres. They just do better overall. And, unlike Xbox, when they fail or trip or stumble or have blunders, they learn from it. Xbox has been making the same mistakes since day one. that does not engender faith in the brand and people finally see that. 

I am sure the first 2-3 years of the Xbox Series X will do fine. they'll have a handful of exclusives, it'll sell well in the west...but in the end the PS5 is going to blow it out of the water, just like the Ps4 did and just like the PS2 did. 

And I will go into it with an open mind.  I still watch Xbox's E3 presentations and get excited and will continue to do so in the future. I'd love to see what they show off, but at this point it's out of sheer curiosity, not eagerness. I need at least 5-7 exclusive games I want on a console to make me consider buying it. Either that or at least 5-7 brands. Sony and Nintendo have dozens of brands and IPs and have consistently impressed me, Microsoft has not. The only game on the Xbox One that is worth anything to me is Sunset Overdrive...a game developed by a company now owned by Sony and who are responsible for two of the four megaton bombshells at the Sony presentation. 

Honestly, I think you're putting a whole lot more effort into your Microsoft Defense brigade than I am by eloquently and thoroughly saying that it just isn't good enough anymore. They promised, they failed. I've never liked Microsoft's image, I've never liked the Xbox line, I hate Halo and while Forza is a good game I've never cared about racing games, and pretty much everything else is on Ps4/Switch now. They have nothing. Absolutely nothing. I will keep watching, but I pretty much guarantee that anything good at their conference will be multiplat or nowhere near unique or interesting enough to make me care. That's just their brand. Bland, generic, americanized, homogenized, shooty vroom vroom. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX