By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your mind, what will the Xbox SX conference have to do to beat the PS5 conference?

Tagged games:

Answer the damned question!

Fantastic games 65 51.18%

100% backwards compatible with every Xbox 3 2.36%

VR Support 3 2.36%

Shockingly low price 21 16.54%

There's NOTHING they can do 31 24.41%

Other (please explain) 4 3.15%

Total:127
chakkra said:
Runa216 said:

I've already explained to you that acquiring studios for Microsoft doesn't mean squat. they 'acquired' rare and destroyed that company in the subsequent years and no other developer of theirs has really come out the gate kicking with anything good or new or interesting. When it all boils down to it, Xbox is STILL just Halo, Gears, and Forza while Sony released how many new IPs last generation? Hell, even Nintendo has added to their roster with Splatoon and ARMs 

and what lineup are you talking about aside from Halo Infinite? This year Sony has FFVII remake, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, and how many from that presentation? and keep in mind, those first three games are all on PS4, showing that, even late-generation, they still support their consoles. Xbox doesn't have that. when was the last Xbox Exclusive that knocked your socks off? Forza Horizon 4 last year? when was the last Ps4 exclusive? Just this week with The Last of Us Part 2.

Honestly, I want to like Microsoft. I think competition is important in this industry. However, after owning an original Xbox (Barely used it outside of Halo LAN parties and Morrowind), an Xbox 360 (first one Red-Ringed, the other I mainly used for Call of Duty, Halo, and Gears online), and an Xbox One (I literally spent more time updating the firmware on that console than playing games on it and I got it in 2014), They lost me. Outright lost me. They're not a good company. They mandated better online services and indie titles, but now Sony and even Nintendo do that just as well and in some cases even better; they have nothing left to offer me and I'm genuinely shocked anyone else feels otherwise. you know, unless you're SUPER into Halo, Gears, and Forza. 

Sweetheart, Sea of Thieves might not be your cup of tea, but that is a superb game for people who enjoy playing co-op multiplayer. I mean, there are people who have been playing that game LITERALLY for years. Bloodborne and God of War may have all the accolades in the world, but how many people do you know that actually have kept playing them CONSTANTLY for years?

This might come as a shock to you but not everybody prefers 3rd-person action-adventure games, you know?

Rare's quality of games has definitely tanked since the acquirement back in 2002. They've only made a handful of good games while under Microsoft. Which is a big contrast when they were creating hit after hit with Nintendo. List here.

Last edited by hinch - on 16 June 2020

Around the Network
hinch said:
chakkra said:

Sweetheart, Sea of Thieves might not be your cup of tea, but that is a superb game for people who enjoy playing co-op multiplayer. I mean, there are people who have been playing that game LITERALLY for years. Bloodborne and God of War may have all the accolades in the world, but how many people do you know that actually have kept playing them CONSTANTLY for years?

This might come as a shock to you but not everybody prefers 3rd-person action-adventure games, you know?

Rare's quality of games has definitely tanked since the acquirement back in 2002. They've only made a handful of good games while under Microsoft. Which is a big contrast when they were creating hit after hit with Nintendo. List here.

And yet Sea of Thieves is more popular then any game they made when working for Nintendo. Quality drastically went up too. A lot of old school Rare fans for some reason refuse to acknowledge this and hold their classics up on a pedestal. Id say it’s a new renaissance for them going forward. I don’t know much about Everwild but damn does it intrigue me. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
hinch said:

And yet Sea of Thieves is more popular then any game they made when working for Nintendo. Quality drastically went up too. A lot of old school Rare fans for some reason refuse to acknowledge this and hold their classics up on a pedestal. Id say it’s a new renaissance for them going forward. I don’t know much about Everwild but damn does it intrigue me. 

And it has taken them a year/s of patches to get it in the state its in, hence quality. In 18 years they've managed to cook up a several new IP's.. none of which even come close to the quality they had with Nintendo. SOT is a good direction for them though, we will have to see.

At Bold - I don't.

Last edited by hinch - on 16 June 2020

They don't have to beat PS5 conference. Just do their job. A couple of new and old IP BIG games.

Hunting Season is done...

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Not sure people will be counting the number of exclusives. It's about quality, not quantity.

We are at the dawn of a next console generation and people want to be wowed. Sony did a good job by showing games that are a leap over anything we've seen on current gen, but I don't think smaller scale cross-gen titles like Grounded will get people fired up in the same way.

For the rest I agree. MS shouldn't be holding back and really show us that all those studios they bought are hard at work making next gen games, and not small scale cross gen titles to fill up GP. Me thinks they need at least a Fable and Forza Series X exclusive, announce that Halo Infinite is no longer a cross-gen title, and show how those games will be taking full advantage of the Series X's hardware. After that, they can talk about BC, Smart Delivery, GP, Xcloud and all that stuff but more as a cherry on top, not as the main course.

Hi, let’s have a reasonable discussion :)

First off I think it’s almost certain fans on both sides will be comparing the two conferences, especially their 1st party offerings. Been done since ancient times and that’s not gonna change anytime soon. Secondly, it can’t be about quality because the games aren’t out. We don’t know the metacritic. So at this point it’s about quantity, as in which company has the most games I want to play. 

You can’t really mention Grounded anymore in that tone with Sony showing their own cartoony style smaller games. It’s a two way street. As for the other games some were what you said like Rachet and Horizon 2. The others, now this is just my opinion but based on my own impressions and what Twitter is showing, games like Spiderman and GT don’t strike me as built from the ground up on PS5. Spiderman was confirmed to be a expansion to the 2018 game right? So it’s built off the base game and likely limited to PS5 to drive demand (because after all its spiderman). GT7, and I’ll tread lightly here, there’s been screens and gifs that show slight pop in and less then optimal textures. 

https://twitter.com/akahmiii/status/1271948365924667392?s=21

https://twitter.com/ashtreygaming/status/1271762309111779328?s=21

https://twitter.com/akahmiii/status/1271663996152627202?s=21

To show I’m not being baseless and trolling. You are entitled to your opinion but I personally am skeptical that all the launch window games are taking full advantage. 

But other then that, I would recommend to stop talking about Forza or Halo being not cross gen. You know it and so do i. It’s not gonna happen. It’s cross gen and that’s how it’s going to be. Whether you choose to take it as it is on console or Pc is your call but please let’s drop the persona in this regard thanks. 

Sure, lets try that :)

I think the big difference here is that Sony has a proven track record. They've been basically hitting out of the park with their exclusives for over a decade now, while MS has failed to launch a single successful new ip since Gears 1. Obviously, there were some good games like Ori and I'm sure we'll see a lot of cool smaller scale titles in July. But that simply aren't the type of games that will move a lot of next-gen consoles. 

Sony's also has those smaller scale titles and their launch lineup probably isn't going to be perfect either. However, everybody knows the bombs from their 1st party studios will come later. With MS we just don't know and they have a lot to prove, especially now that Gears and Halo don't have the kind of pull they had a decade ago. I also can't blame anyone for thinking MS is all talk and no action. For years we've been hearing about the Initiative and they still only have 44 people working there. How do we know a studio that is specialized in making racing games can also make a great RPG? Why are all their major studios making indie titles or RTS pc games? Loads of question there and MS needs to show in July that they're truly committed to Series X and next gen console gaming.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 16 June 2020

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Hi, let’s have a reasonable discussion :)

First off I think it’s almost certain fans on both sides will be comparing the two conferences, especially their 1st party offerings. Been done since ancient times and that’s not gonna change anytime soon. Secondly, it can’t be about quality because the games aren’t out. We don’t know the metacritic. So at this point it’s about quantity, as in which company has the most games I want to play. 

You can’t really mention Grounded anymore in that tone with Sony showing their own cartoony style smaller games. It’s a two way street. As for the other games some were what you said like Rachet and Horizon 2. The others, now this is just my opinion but based on my own impressions and what Twitter is showing, games like Spiderman and GT don’t strike me as built from the ground up on PS5. Spiderman was confirmed to be a expansion to the 2018 game right? So it’s built off the base game and likely limited to PS5 to drive demand (because after all its spiderman). GT7, and I’ll tread lightly here, there’s been screens and gifs that show slight pop in and less then optimal textures. 

https://twitter.com/akahmiii/status/1271948365924667392?s=21

https://twitter.com/ashtreygaming/status/1271762309111779328?s=21

https://twitter.com/akahmiii/status/1271663996152627202?s=21

To show I’m not being baseless and trolling. You are entitled to your opinion but I personally am skeptical that all the launch window games are taking full advantage. 

But other then that, I would recommend to stop talking about Forza or Halo being not cross gen. You know it and so do i. It’s not gonna happen. It’s cross gen and that’s how it’s going to be. Whether you choose to take it as it is on console or Pc is your call but please let’s drop the persona in this regard thanks. 

I think the big difference here is that Sony has a proven track record. They've been basically hitting out of the park with their exclusives for over a decade now, while MS has failed to launch a single successful new ip since Gears 1. Obviously, there were some good games like Ori and I'm sure we'll see a lot of cool smaller scale titles in July. But that simply aren't the type of games that will move a lot of next-gen consoles. 

Sony's also has those smaller scale titles and their launch lineup probably isn't going to be perfect either. However, everybody knows the bombs from their 1st party studios will come later. With MS we just don't know and they have a lot to prove, especially now that Gears and Halo don't have the kind of pull they had a decade ago. I also can't blame anyone for thinking MS is all talk and no action. For years we've been hearing about the Initiative and they still only have 44 people working there. How do we know a studio that is specialized in making racing games can also make a great RPG? Why are all their major studios making indie titles or RTS pc games? Loads of question there and MS needs to show in July that they're truly committed to Series X and next gen console gaming.

Your first paragraph is just describing the past. I’m familiar with Xbox’s history. Guess we got to wait a month to show the changes they are truly making. Your second paragraph just describes MS has a lot to prove which I agree. At least with your silence that you acknowledge my point on Grounded, as well as not all of Sony’s launch games are built from the ground up for PS5. 

A couple of your questions I can answer. Why are major studios like Obsidian and Ninja Theory making smaller games like Grounded and Bleeding Edge/Project Mara? Probably because they have multiple teams, one of which does passion projects.

What’s wrong with RTS? Xbox committing to making multiple genres where they can bring in a broad audience with multiple tastes. I mean no offence because it is after all fact, but most heavy hitter Ps exclusives fall under “single player third person story driven action adventure”. Sure the gameplay is different but the general road map is the same and Im just glad MS doing genres that are more niche as well as popular. 

Guerilla went from FPS (Killzone) to third person adventure. So why can’t a open world racing developer transfer those skills to making a open world rpg? Also The Coalition has been helping The Initiative out with their game allegedly. 
Sony has a first party studio that also functions as a “helper” studio so it’s not unheard of.

I can’t wait to finally see the reactions when they show what’s cooking, both big and small titles. Hopefully another acquisition too for good measure. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

hinch said:
sales2099 said:

And it has taken them a year/s of patches to get it in the state its in, hence quality. In 18 years they've managed to cook up a several new IP's.. none of which even come close to the quality they had with Nintendo. SOT is a good direction for them though, we will have to see.

At Bold - I don't.

Well at least you acknowledge SoT is progress. Fair enough. 

sales2099 said:
hinch said:

How did you measure any off that? As far as I'm aware sot never breaks into the top 20 on twitch. And we have some ancient games in the top 20. Even valorant which is consifer a huge failure is there.

Sales? Never will know as ms only tells us players who probably at one point at least tried it. They dont even say active players or individual purchases.

Quality? By who's standard? I have never seen an outlet come out and praise how good sot is now. Granted I don't follow every outlet. But the is no buzz online of this game.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

How did you measure any off that? As far as I'm aware sot never breaks into the top 20 on twitch. And we have some ancient games in the top 20. Even valorant which is consifer a huge failure is there.

Sales? Never will know as ms only tells us players who probably at one point at least tried it. They dont even say active players or individual purchases.

Quality? By who's standard? I have never seen an outlet come out and praise how good sot is now. Granted I don't follow every outlet. But the is no buzz online of this game.

Steam put the game at 50000 playing every day, and maintaining and even growing rather then dropping. For a 2 year old game that is also on Win 10/Game Pass PC. Also #1 on PC Game Pass charts and usually floats somewhere from 9-12 on Xbox Game Pass. I really don’t know what to tell certain people that insist on being skeptical about this game, even after it has a healthy life long after people wrote it off. 

Quality id look up some re reviews. IGN, Gamespot come to mind and rated the game at least 8 (not willing to look up the exact scores because I have a suspicion you don’t care). I would imagine people of different tastes wouldn’t be talking much about it and that’s ok. It’s community is healthy and thriving and that’s all you need to know. 

https://www.onmsft.com/news/sea-of-thieves-sees-3-5-million-hours-of-steam-play-in-first-week-breaks-into-top-20

https://www.pcgamesn.com/sea-of-thieves/steam-player-count?amp

Last edited by sales2099 - on 16 June 2020

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Your first paragraph is just describing the past. I’m familiar with Xbox’s history. Guess we got to wait a month to show the changes they are truly making. Your second paragraph just describes MS has a lot to prove which I agree. At least with your silence that you acknowledge my point on Grounded, as well as not all of Sony’s launch games are built from the ground up for PS5. 

A couple of your questions I can answer. Why are major studios like Obsidian and Ninja Theory making smaller games like Grounded and Bleeding Edge/Project Mara? Probably because they have multiple teams, one of which does passion projects.

What’s wrong with RTS? Xbox committing to making multiple genres where they can bring in a broad audience with multiple tastes. I mean no offence because it is after all fact, but most heavy hitter Ps exclusives fall under “single player third person story driven action adventure”. Sure the gameplay is different but the general road map is the same and Im just glad MS doing genres that are more niche as well as popular. 

Guerilla went from FPS (Killzone) to third person adventure. So why can’t a open world racing developer transfer those skills to making a open world rpg? Also The Coalition has been helping The Initiative out with their game allegedly. 
Sony has a first party studio that also functions as a “helper” studio so it’s not unheard of.

I can’t wait to finally see the reactions when they show what’s cooking, both big and small titles. Hopefully another acquisition too for good measure. 

I know some studios have multiple teams. But keep in mind that Sony's studios typically have 250 to 450 staff, while most of MS's studios barely have 100. If MS really plans to compete with Sony's 1st party exclusives, I'm not sure splitting up those smaller studios into even smaller teams for passion projects is the smartest thing to do. Personally I think they are doing a lot of smaller games because they want to fill up the Gamepass library and they don't want to take big risks with new AAA ip's, especially next gen exclusives. Maybe I'm wrong but if we look at MS's history, there's a reason why many are skeptical.

Just because a lot of ps5 exclusives are in 3rd person, doesn't mean Sony is a one trick pony. I think they're pretty much the opposite and are always willing to take risks with new ip's, even if they probably know they wont sell big numbers. Some pay off and some don't, but that's the reason we have games like Dreams, HZD, Spiderman, TLOU2, Ghosts of Sushi etc. and not the same old ip's from the ps3 era that were starting to become stale. And no, I don't have a problem with RTS games, it's just that the genre only seems to be popular among pc gamers, consoles not so much. One of MS's biggest 1st party studios making a pc game gives off vibes that they're not committed to their next gen console.

But if we're talking about what MS should do to beat the ps5 conference it's simply not being so god damn predictable. For the last decade we could pretty much predict everything they would show at E3 as its always been the same. They cycle Halo, Forza and Gears and then we get a bunch of indie titles. Somehow it always feel like MS is completely out of touch with their audience and its why they messed up so bad with stuff like Kinect, the whole interactive Tv nonsense and now their "first look at Series X games", which has to be the most boring introduction to next gen gaming in video gaming history. If MS really wants to beat the ps5 event, they need to prove that they 'get it' and show some big new exciting things that aren't Halo, Forza or Gears.    

Last edited by goopy20 - on 16 June 2020