By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 could see even more 3rd party exclusives than PS4

DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:
Honestly, moneyhatting 3rd party exclusives is a very scummy thing to do. I don't understand how people can celebrate that as a good thing. I guess, because it's Sony doing it,then it's ok. But it sucks for most of the players and makes me less inclined in buying a console or a game.

But buying 15 studios in a 1-2 year period, with a group of them being from a very big publisher that made multiplats is something to celebrate and not scummy at all?

Maybe it's not something to celebrate, but if they are paying for the whole studio/publisher talent, technology and opperation they can do whatever they want. Just like Nintendo paying for Bayonetta was ok, because they took the risk for themselves, so they deserve the rewards. However, coming around when the game is almost finished to pay some money with the only intent to prevent some people people from playing the game is some evil shit. I'm sorry, but it's not even comparable.

Around the Network
jardesonbarbosa said:
DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:
Honestly, moneyhatting 3rd party exclusives is a very scummy thing to do. I don't understand how people can celebrate that as a good thing. I guess, because it's Sony doing it,then it's ok. But it sucks for most of the players and makes me less inclined in buying a console or a game.

But buying 15 studios in a 1-2 year period, with a group of them being from a very big publisher that made multiplats is something to celebrate and not scummy at all?

Maybe it's not something to celebrate, but if they are paying for the whole studio/publisher talent, technology and opperation they can do whatever they want. Just like Nintendo paying for Bayonetta was ok, because they took the risk for themselves, so they deserve the rewards. However, coming around when the game is almost finished to pay some money with the only intent to prevent some people people from playing the game is some evil shit. I'm sorry, but it's not even comparable.

Ok, so for you to lose access for some months in a couple of games is worse than forever for several dozen, ok. Makes zero sense, but you are entitled to your opinion.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The PS5 and XSX are so similar, I cannot help but laugh at that notion. The only devs that may still opt out of XSX ports (without a money hat) would be smaller japanese devs for different reasons than you stated. But even then, most of those games will be showing up on Switch as well, so still not exclusive in most cases.

The same applies to MS, no one is going to pass on the PS5 without a money hat. There is a reason MS is buying up developers, as 1st party games have become more and more relevant each gen.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:
DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:

Ok, so for you to lose access for some months in a couple of games is worse than forever for several dozen, ok. Makes zero sense, but you are entitled to your opinion.

You see, I have all 3 consoles, I'll keep having them. For me, it makes no difference, I can buy a game on PS5 or XSX when they're available. The thing is, the operation behind it is scummy. Who gains from having a 3rd party developed game only available in a single platform for 6 months? Only Sony themselves and fanboys can look at that and think that's good for anyone. You're acting like those Bethesda games were promised to Playstation and Microsoft took them alway, but they were never promised to Playstation. The ones that were promised to Playstation are still coming. 3rd parties can still do exclusive games, because game development and publishing is expensive, so in some cases, it makes more sense to pick a single plataform and go with that and that's ok. What we are talking about here is Sony, just like Epic, going out of their way to prevent a game or mode in a game from coming to a specific plataform, for 6 or more months. They are not trying to make the game better, they are not helping with development, they are not taking the risks, they just want remove a choice from the consumer. What Microsoft did is bad for the industry for a whole different set of reasons, but those things are not comparable to what Sony does.

jardesonbarbosa said:
DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:
DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:

You see, I have all 3 consoles, I'll keep having them. For me, it makes no difference, I can buy a game on PS5 or XSX when they're available. The thing is, the operation behind it is scummy. Who gains from having a 3rd party developed game only available in a single platform for 6 months? Only Sony themselves and fanboys can look at that and think that's good for anyone. You're acting like those Bethesda games were promised to Playstation and Microsoft took them alway, but they were never promised to Playstation. The ones that were promised to Playstation are still coming. 3rd parties can still do exclusive games, because game development and publishing is expensive, so in some cases, it makes more sense to pick a single plataform and go with that and that's ok. What we are talking about here is Sony, just like Epic, going out of their way to prevent a game or mode in a game from coming to a specific plataform, for 6 or more months. They are not trying to make the game better, they are not helping with development, they are not taking the risks, they just want remove a choice from the consumer. What Microsoft did is bad for the industry for a whole different set of reasons, but those things are not comparable to what Sony does.

Sure they aren't comparable, they are much worse. These modes and DLCs are quite minimal compared to a full game. Same as one or 2 games a year with these shitty practices (because yes they are shitty) that still are available on other platforms (even if some months after) isn't as bad as a full publisher shut-off from the rest of the market. Even worse to go do a PR and say that they aren't taking away from other platforms. And MS buying those devs don't really make those games better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

looks like this prediction was spot on. Gamepass is really just gona hurt the xbox brand.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I don't know from me it's much more dangerous for consumers, the market, and players what Microsoft is doing. I think it's much more impactful when a very big company like Microsoft (which is already very strong in many digital markets) is buying a huge studio with as many big IP's that Bethesda (and which are traditionally multiplat).

In comparison, if Nintendo (or even Sony) bought tomorrow a medium size studio with few IP's and if those studios were already usually Nintendo exclusive (financed by them) it would be much more acceptable. Why? Because Nintendo as well as the studio are much smaller. Plus the IP's are already exclusives to Nintendo platforms and it would so not really affect the players and the market to the same degree.

I also find what is doing Sony not necessarily good but not that bad either because it's just about one IP, usually for a short period of time. It's not going to affect as many players as what is doing Microsoft and not for as much time. 

Plus, at the end of the day Sony/Nintendo will never be able to capture the market with such predatory practices like what can potentially do Microsoft or what could do Google, Apple, etc. 

So I honestly feel it is a little dishonest when people are criticizing what is doing Son but seem ok with what is doing Microsoft. I mean it's not even on the same scale of bad. I am not against Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony buying studios but I find it alarming if it's Big studios like Take 2, EA, Ubisoft which have multiplat IP's. Even worse if we're talking about a company the size of Microsoft. 

(sorry for my English btw )

DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:

Going 1st party legitimizes it. I mean we all just know they are obligated to only make games for the owner. 3rd party deals are scummy because they aren’t owned by anyone and yet they are doing it. 

But let’s not forget MS has kept Minecraft on PS. Also Minecraft Dungeons, Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds, Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Ghostwire. I mean if MS were as guarded with their IP as Sony they would have nullified all those contracts. 

But it’s worse then a couple months here and there. It’s entire modes and expansions, many of them have a YEAR window. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

eva01beserk said:
looks like this prediction was spot on. Gamepass is really just gona hurt the xbox brand.

Care to explain? It’s creating a lot of goodwill within the community. Like I pay the price of 3 games per year and play a lot more games then you. You would have to spend hundreds more to play the amount I am playing. To anybody not declaring their undying loyalty to Sony, it’s regarded as the best value in gaming. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Care to explain? It’s creating a lot of goodwill within the community. Like I pay the price of 3 games per year and play a lot more games then you. You would have to spend hundreds more to play the amount I am playing. To anybody not declaring their undying loyalty to Sony, it’s regarded as the best value in gaming. 

Do you believe what you mentioned third party's see as a possitive thing? EA, Activicion and other scumy big publishers are cringing at what you just mentioned amd will avoid ot like the plague. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.