By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

Jaicee said:

At this point, I think it may be worth updating on the review bombing campaign on Metacritic because it's starting to fall apart. There are now nearly as many positive user scores as negative ones. In fact, if current trends continue, positive user reviews for TLOU2 will outnumber negative ones on Metacritic in a matter of days and then become fully the majority shortly thereafter. You can see this trajectory easily by the page numbers. Look at page 1 (the oldest reviews) and they're pretty much all negative. Look at the most recent page though and you'll find they're nearly all positive. That's called people actually completing the game. It seems to make a difference in one's perception!

The trajectory can also be seen by looking at the numbers day to day. In the last 24 hours or so, about 5,000 positive reviews were posted compared to about 2,000 negative ones. That trend is growing in favor of positive scores with each passing day. The margin in their favor keeps getting wider. Expect the average user score to keep going up.

We were promissed that negative scores aren't being allowed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
CGI-Quality said:

You clearly haven't watched enough cheesy horror movies. Not liking her and she being poorly written are two different things. Throughout most of the game, she annoys me, yes, but she isn't poorly written. She just says/does things I wouldn't, and folks I know wouldn't, but is believable and plenty of people are like her. It's very 'teen girl-esque' and doesn't even touch on the fact that she is living in a post-pandemic dystopia. 

I get not liking the direction of the story (now that I've played through it), but at no point was its writing not up to par (in my eyes). 

Exactly.

The fact the game got me sad and made me question myself doesn't have anything to do with it being bad, actually its the opposite, it got emotions from me I was not expecting to have, at some points I reacted like those  fake youtube reaction videos, but for real.

It reminded from Berserk, where the author was able to make me genuinely hate with burning anger a fictional character like it was real, it speaks for itself how damn good executed was it.

A lot of people simply associate not liking something with it being bad, and that's ironic, actually.

4 words, Berserk is a masterpiece.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
BraLoD said:

Exactly.

The fact the game got me sad and made me question myself doesn't have anything to do with it being bad, actually its the opposite, it got emotions from me I was not expecting to have, at some points I reacted like those  fake youtube reaction videos, but for real.

It reminded from Berserk, where the author was able to make me genuinely hate with burning anger a fictional character like it was real, it speaks for itself how damn good executed was it.

A lot of people simply associate not liking something with it being bad, and that's ironic, actually.

It is such a rare gem that it is hard to find something that compares to the artistic level of drawing that manga has,some pages are like paintings worthy of being put in an artgallery outside of the manga.

It has a very disturbing realism to its violence even when it is depicted by fantasy creatures,things that reflect from the darkest of humanity,it can be quite shocking to read such a manga first time.

I'm happy about Caska's recent developments ,waited like endless years for it.

Immersiveunreality said:
DonFerrari said:

It is such a rare gem that it is hard to find something that compares to the artistic level of drawing that manga has,some pages are like paintings worthy of being put in an artgallery outside of the manga.

It has a very disturbing realism to its violence even when it is depicted by fantasy creatures,things that reflect from the darkest of humanity,it can be quite shocking to read such a manga first time.

I'm happy about Caska's recent developments ,waited like endless years for it.

If you want art panels I would introduce you to Vagabond, from Takehiko Inoue (same author of Slam Dunk), his colored pages are just pure art. Well he does even have a book only of his ilustrations.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

If you want art panels I would introduce you to Vagabond, from Takehiko Inoue (same author of Slam Dunk), his colored pages are just pure art. Well he does even have a book only of his ilustrations.

Berserk and Vagabond are the most beautiful mangas I've read without a single doubt.

Berserk is more detalist and Vagabond more artistic.

I still place Berserk art above Vagabond, Miura is a monster that cannot be toped, but Inoue has an eye for making even simple things so beautiful... gah, why does Berserk need to be 5 chapters a year and Vagabond was dropped =/

The difference in detail between the two could very well be because of Berserk having 10% the chapter releases of Vagabond (before halt).

Around the Network

I haven't been checking much lately, except this one piece of info of Abby's voice actress receiving death threats for herself and for her family. But overall, is it still "cool" to hate this game on the internet or have the haters found something else to beat off to? I guess that Angry Joe review might've rekindled the flame a bit.

John2290 said:

Dunkey gives this game a 4/5 which is respectable, I'm thinking, Yeah that's a point or two above me depending on the marking scale and then, just now Youtube auto recommends me Dunkeys Uncharted 4 review which in turn leads to Dunkeys The Last of us Review. Lol. People change in 8 years but damn, that's one stark difference. Anyone know if he just goes against the mainstream narrative by default? I'm only starting following recently. 

I think he just gives honest reviews like Jim Sterling. Though a lot less critical over superfluous things. His Shenmue 3 'review' is hilarious. Nothing biased for or against, that I can see.

Other reviewers that prejudge a game based on leaks like Angry Joe goes into expecting to hate it, I don't take seriously regarding scores. His antics can be entertaining though old. Its like other Youtubers for reviews, I just use for entertainment. I mean this is the same guy who goes and makes a a sandwich in between a game, shits on the story and passes the controller in a circle for his review. Like yeah, he wasn't ever going to like it much.

YongYea finally released his review.

So. Few quick notes.

Gameplay-wise, it's Naughty Dog's best title in their history. They took the "heavy" and often slow, one dimensional combat of the original and let it flourish. The flow of combat, the options available to the player in different situations and the accessibility options are all sublime. They improved literally everything. Graphically, it's unmatched by anything else I've ever played. Santaolalla's soundtrack is incredible and he deserves all the awards in the world for his work on this game.

I'll not comment on specifics, but I'd like to highlight how well they showed Ellie's survivors guilt and PTSD throughout the game and in the flashbacks. Really strong and impressive storytelling and the performance from Ashley Johnson deserves all of the applause.

It's not as good as the original. Certain narrative decisions bring it down and I feel like it's a few hours longer than it needs to be, but I'm more than happy with it as an overall package.

I'm incredibly excited for whatever comes next.

Still can’t believe I got the prediction right. Me, lol

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.