By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cross-gen support; what's your take?

Taking current gen games and upgrading them to PS5/XB2 is fine. Taking XB2 and PS5 games, and downgrading them to PS4/XB1 is a waste of resources. Especially with PS5's custom SSD controller making such a massive difference in game development. PS4 is running games off a traditional disk-based harddrive. PS5 will be running games off an SSD that is cutting edge even by PC standards. Porting PS5 games to PS4 will be as much of a joke as porting PS4 games to PS3 was. Those games will run as badly as Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition did on PS3. 

Edit: I do look forward to seeing the hilarity that is Halo Infinite running on some poor smuck's launch edition XB1. Hopefully somebody posts that on Youtube the day Infinite releases. 

JRPGfan said:
vivster said:
Leave it to console players to wish for games being exclusive to specific hardware.

Because its one of the biggest advantage consoles have.
Pc developer needs to keep in mind that the pc market is 10,000+ differnt setups of hardware, so they make games that can run on a potato and try and scale things up (for those that have better hardware).

However theres no doubt this increases the hassel of developement (ei. its harder, takes longer) and limits the games (they wont be as good as they could have been, by just focusing on newer hardware).

The funny thing here is that a lot of the extreme settings on modern games are such a huge waste of FPS. Crisp Shadows (shadows are never crisp in real life), Nvidia Hairworks, Raytracing, and 4K are all a waste of good FPS. I have a 2070 Super, and I prefer 1440p 80 FPS to having all these extras turned on, with 50-55 FPS. 

Even if I had a 2080 Ti I'd still choose 1440p, no RayTracing, no Hairworks, and slightly fuzzy shadows, with something like 135 FPS, over some 4K/60 nonsense. 

Developers work so hard to please that tiny group that has a 4K monitor, a 2080 Ti, and is okay with 60ish FPS on PC. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 07 June 2020

Around the Network

When I was a child I thought it was important because I had the console and was upset of it stop receiving games (didn't understand technology evolved, and sure 5 years looked like and eternity at the time). Nowadays I prefer that they move to the new system and give the best product possible all times.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

VAMatt said:
All successful consoles should be supported pretty well for about two years after release of their successor. That doesn't mean there can be zero new gen exclusives. But, I don't think companies should immediately tell the last gen owners to fuck off the day the new console launches. There are people buy XBone and PS4 still today. They can't be abandoned in 6 months.

Of course, money will dictate this stuff. And, it seems, according to history, that the money says most stuff should be cross gen for a year, then support trails off over years 2 and 3. And, that's fine with me.

They aren't abandoned they have like 4000 games to chose and buy while new console owners have like 10.

Plus I find funny this obligation to please people that waited 5 years to get a console for bargain price instead of the ones that are eager to buy the new console for premium price. These are the ones that need new experiences.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 07 June 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

1st party should move along, 3rd party can do whatever they like.

sales2099 said:
Shiken said:

Sony would never "remake" TLoU2.  You know damn well they would just up the res to native 4k, and sell it to us a second time.

Sorry that’s actually what I meant to say. Remaster, not remake. Ironically that will be the #1 poster child of PS5 exclusives until the next Naughty Dog game releases mark my words. 

I dunno.  I think God of War 5 or Horizon 2 could do better than what a remaster of TLoU2 would bring in terms of sales.  Both have less controversy around them and sold better than the first game did on PS4 with their most recent releases.  Naughty Dog is pretty overrated honestly, and people are starting to see that.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Not a fan of cross gen games, but I am a fan of multiple options within an ecosystem.

I would prefer to have all AAA games move exclusively to next gen platforms ASAP. AA, Sports titles, and Indies are fine, as they typically don't untilize the full potential of any system anyways.

I am in full support of having a range of options within any given ecosystem, that all offer the same technologies. There is plenty of scalability in modern architectures and game engines for scaling hardware with next to no additional work required from developers. Ryzen 2 and RDNA 2 are scalable from Mobile to High end Desk Top, and are already contracted to be in devices across that entire range.

An ecosystem can have a wide variety of devices, across multiple form factors, allowing graphics to scale from any minimum res/fps to any maximum res/fps with no compromises needing to be made by the developers, as long as the manufacturer balances each system equaly for each scenario.

I would have no problem having a Mobile Xbox Series, a 1080p Xbox Series, a 4K Xbox Series, and an 8K Xbox Series. Options within a closed ecosystem are a good thing.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Shiken said:
sales2099 said:

Sorry that’s actually what I meant to say. Remaster, not remake. Ironically that will be the #1 poster child of PS5 exclusives until the next Naughty Dog game releases mark my words. 

I dunno.  I think God of War 5 or Horizon 2 could do better than what a remaster of TLoU2 would bring in terms of sales.  Both have less controversy around them and sold better than the first game did on PS4 with their most recent releases.  Naughty Dog is pretty overrated honestly, and people are starting to see that.

Wow, didn’t expect that candid reply on ND. You don’t think people are gonna hold back on the PS4 version and wait for the remaster? Of course you gonna have millions of double dippers. Interesting because I wouldn’t count out GOW and HZD myself either. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

If it's a smaller title which doesn't push the new hardware to it's limits, it should be cross gen title. But if we talk about ambitious game being dragged down by the platform holder's decision of mandatory support of old gen system, then it's a wrong decision. At the end of the day, I think we'll return to this topic in a year when we'll be able to tell which strategy turned out to be a better one.

sales2099 said:
Shiken said:

Wow, didn’t expect that candid reply on ND. You don’t think people are gonna hold back on the PS4 version and wait for the remaster? Of course you gonna have millions of double dippers. Interesting because I wouldn’t count out GOW and HZD myself either. 

TLoU2 has a lot of hype surrounding it by fans of the IP.  With no official confirmation of an actual PS5 remaster, I don't see anyone holding out on the PS4 release that is truly interested in the game (even if it is an inevitably).  Not to mention the whole spoiler issue.  If you think it is hard to avoid spoilers now, imagine waiting even longer while others are already playing.

There will definitely be double dippers however, the first game is proof of that.  And if the exclusive landscape is as low as the start of last gen was, there will surely be those that will contradict themselves and throw the game out there in the "list wars".  In all honesty unless HZD2 or GoW5 come out sooner rather than later, I see PS5 having another slow build up in the 1st party exclusive department.  I see those two games as a must if Sony is pushing the "next gen only focus".  They could always suprise us with something we have not thought of, but they threw every potential game on the PS4 leading up to PS5.  So if those two games don't release within the first 2 years or they have something up their sleeves we don't know about, I am really not sure what to expect at this point.

Last edited by Shiken - on 07 June 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

KBG29 said:
Not a fan of cross gen games, but I am a fan of multiple options within an ecosystem.

I would prefer to have all AAA games move exclusively to next gen platforms ASAP. AA, Sports titles, and Indies are fine, as they typically don't untilize the full potential of any system anyways.

I am in full support of having a range of options within any given ecosystem, that all offer the same technologies. There is plenty of scalability in modern architectures and game engines for scaling hardware with next to no additional work required from developers. Ryzen 2 and RDNA 2 are scalable from Mobile to High end Desk Top, and are already contracted to be in devices across that entire range.

An ecosystem can have a wide variety of devices, across multiple form factors, allowing graphics to scale from any minimum res/fps to any maximum res/fps with no compromises needing to be made by the developers, as long as the manufacturer balances each system equaly for each scenario.

I would have no problem having a Mobile Xbox Series, a 1080p Xbox Series, a 4K Xbox Series, and an 8K Xbox Series. Options within a closed ecosystem are a good thing.

I'll trully believe in the easiness and prowess of scalability when we get the exact same game on budget smartphones, consoles and top end PCs. right now we don't get a lot of games even on Switch.