By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cross-gen support; what's your take?

Any Nintendo 'fan' who wants them to gamble everything on an unproven system now that they're down to only one console needs to have a word with themselves.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Third parties I would say its okay for one year cross-gen support. It gives people a chance to upgrade to a new consoles. Any more and its detrimental to the advancement that the new consoles can bring, and will bog down development times, as there will be more consoles to develop/optimise for.

First party should support new consoles with at least one or two games during its first year. We should get at least some of that new game experience at launch, if not close to launch.. not two years down the line. Cross gen ports is fine as it allows people who don't have previous consoles or have the game on last gen to experience it. This can be used to bolster its library but shouldn't be sole dependent on them to sell the console.

Last edited by hinch - on 07 June 2020

Moving on from old hardware makes life easier for developers.

It also gives value to money for the early adopters whose early purchases fund game development. We need as many people as possible to buy new hardware and that needs to be encouraged to do so. Buying a new shiny console and not being able to play anything truly created for that console would suck. I would just stick to my PC and not bother buying a PS5 for a long time if Sony did that.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
Moving on from old hardware makes life easier for developers.

It also gives value to money for the early adopters whose early purchases fund game development. We need as many people as possible to buy new hardware and that needs to be encouraged to do so. Buying a new shiny console and not being able to play anything truly created for that console would suck. I would just stick to my PC and not bother buying a PS5 for a long time if Sony did that.

Yep if you don't want to be bothered with gen and crossgen concepts stick to PC. When we move to a new system we want new stuff.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
Shiken said:

I dunno.  I think God of War 5 or Horizon 2 could do better than what a remaster of TLoU2 would bring in terms of sales.  Both have less controversy around them and sold better than the first game did on PS4 with their most recent releases.  Naughty Dog is pretty overrated honestly, and people are starting to see that.

Wow, didn’t expect that candid reply on ND. You don’t think people are gonna hold back on the PS4 version and wait for the remaster? Of course you gonna have millions of double dippers. Interesting because I wouldn’t count out GOW and HZD myself either. 

I'm gonna hold back on the purchase and play it on the PS5 BC with PS4 Pro mode. (I only own the base PS4 console). Same with Ghosts of Tsushima, assuming they're available on PS5 BC. 

Around the Network

For those saying "it's up to third parties", what do you prefer, if it was up to you? It's okay to be selfish sometimes and express what you personally would like better. ;)

As for me, I'm, in two minds.

I was very glad for cross-gen gaming in the last transition as it allowed me, as a PS3/360 owner with no interest in PS4/Xbone, to play a lot of games I really enjoyed like Wolfenstein the New Order, COD Advanced Warfare, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield Hardline, Far Cry 4, and Alien Isolation without having to drop like $600 AUD on a new system.

When it comes to Nintendo on the other hand, I don't want games on their next system to be held back by the Switch. 

curl-6 said:

For those saying "it's up to third parties", what do you prefer, if it was up to you? It's okay to be selfish sometimes and express what you personally would like better. ;)

I was very glad for cross-gen gaming in the last transition as it allowed me, as a PS3/360 owner with no interest in PS4/Xbone, to play a lot of games I really enjoyed like Wolfenstein the New Order, COD Advanced Warfare, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield Hardline, Far Cry 4, and Alien Isolation without having to drop like $600 AUD on a new system.

When it comes to Nintendo on the other hand, I don't want games on their next system to be held back by the Switch. 

So basically, if you want to buy the new hardware you want new better experiences. If you don't want the new hardware you'd rather it continue to be supported as long as physically possible.

Which is reasonable, but it goes to show for a lot of people buying next generation systems, they want games build completely for those systems to take advantage of the expensive new plastic and silicon they bought.

ArchangelMadzz said:
curl-6 said:

So basically, if you want to buy the new hardware you want new better experiences. If you don't want the new hardware you'd rather it continue to be supported as long as physically possible.

Which is reasonable, but it goes to show for a lot of people buying next generation systems, they want games build completely for those systems to take advantage of the expensive new plastic and silicon they bought.

Yeah basically, if I'm putting down hundreds of dollars on a new system, I want games that will make the most of it, not last gen games with shinier coat of paint.

Support the old hardware as long as possible. What does it hurt? My daughter used to love the LBP franchise and she would have been devastated if we couldn't get LBP3 on our PS3. When we finally got a PS4, we bought Little Big Planet again.

Think of the little guy.

Cross-gen support can be only last 3 years, so I'm cool with this, any parties can decide whatever they want just for pleased consumers that they're still rocking current gen consoles.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Ubisoft and EA are "probably" gonna destroy PS4 and Xbox One just like they did on PS3 and Xbox 360. OOF!

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 08 June 2020