By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best Black/Dark-Skinned Nintendo Characters?

CaptainExplosion said:

Ok, Biden. Clearly you forgot that countries that are part of the Middle East are in North AFRICA, which was populated by black people before Arabs first came there.

I don't think you're too knowledgeable on geography.

Around the Network

In the spirit of the post ima open this up to games in general and say barett from ff7, rodin from bayonetta, jaqui briggs from kombat, and emmet graves from starhawk. They all either had cool characters or cool stories.

This thread is all kinds of stupid and CaptainExplosion; you are the root of all it. Not gonna go in too deep because your heart was in the right place but you are woefully ignorant on the topic. Puerto Ricans don't like being called Mexicans and Mexicans don't like to be called Puerto Ricans. You are the type of person to do just that because they speak a mostly similar language. They are quite different peoples.

Lets just say that you were not geographically challenged - It does not matter that Black people occupied the middle east before Arabs or vice versa! When you say black you are referring to a group people who are descendant from African slaves, not some general term for multiple peoples that may have settled in the same area or anybody with dark skin.

Be careful about this in real life bro.

... --- ...

Nintendo is not really known for having a lot of black /dark skinned characters.

Around the Network
Fallawful said:

Yeah you really fudged it up with the definition there haha 

@Bold. Also, to be a pedant, no, North Africans were not necessarily black before Arabs arrived. Most North Africans still look the same as before the Arabs got to North Africa - they did not replace populations. Only thing is that they mixed in, but they were certainly the minority so most of the populations in North Africa/West Asia remained largely the same, gene-wise after they became Arabised. If you go back far enough, yeah sure, literally everyone was black. 

I do see you changed the thread title, so all is good :) 

On Topic: 

I'm gonna go with the Animal Crossing playable character being the best African American character Nintendo has created (or allowed the community to create) 

This the best thing I've ever seen ^ 

North African were blacks the modern day North Africans aren't even Arabs by lineage/genes they're mixed race with Black, Greek, Roman, French and Armenian, they've only chosen to identify as Arabs because their region is close to the Middle East and the French conquest making them interact with the Middle East, North Africans were still black as close as 2000 years ago as the Romans and Greeks depicted them as dark skinned black people.

Also to people arguing about skin tone black people doesn't mean only dark skin black means African descent (Africa was derive from a name that meant land of the blacks) which has the most diverse skin tones of any group Gerudo's for one are likely based off Middle Eastern, North and East Africans the latter being one of the most diverse in cultures for example:

These two women are Ethiopian blacks a country in East Africa, people from countries like Ethiopia and such are often mistaken for Middle Eastern/Asian, where my family are from (Zambia) the are people of multiple tones as well (dark, olive, light etc...).

Wyrdness said:

Also to people arguing about skin tone black people doesn't mean only dark skin black means African descent (Africa was derive from a name that meant land of the blacks) which has the most diverse skin tones of any group Gerudo's for one are likely based off Middle Eastern, North and East Africans the latter being one of the most diverse in cultures for example:

I'm not sure that's true, at least I can't see any evidence of it anyway.

Ka-pi96 said:

Afri was the name Romans gave to Black people who they encountered outside of Egypt and they called the continent Afri-Terra which translates to Land of the Afri.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 07 June 2020

Wyrdness said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Afri was the name Romans gave to Black people and they called the continent Afri-Terra which translates to Land of the Afri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afri

I don't see anything related to skin colour there though. "The name is usually connected with Phoenician ʿafar "dust"" Unless you have some other sources?

Besides, wouldn't the Roman word for black be something akin to negro? I know that's the Spanish word for black and with Spanish being a language descended from Latin I assume the Latin word would be something similar.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Afri was the name Romans gave to Black people and they called the continent Afri-Terra which translates to Land of the Afri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afri

I don't see anything related to skin colour there though. "The name is usually connected with Phoenician ʿafar "dust"" Unless you have some other sources?

Besides, wouldn't the Roman word for black be something akin to negro? I know that's the Spanish word for black and with Spanish being a language descended from Latin I assume the Latin word would be something similar.

"Afri (singular Afer) was a Latin name for the inhabitants of Africa"

You don't need to read anything related to skin colour because that is already provided in the Roman and Greek images of the people showing them as dark skinned so Romans calling them Afri and depicting them as nubian/black means Afri-Terra is Land of the Blacks, they gave race a name instead of calling them by description so essentially you can just add people after the word black if you want to nitpick.