By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best Black/Dark-Skinned Nintendo Characters?

... --- ...

Around the Network

Nintendo is not really known for having a lot of black /dark skinned characters.

Fallawful said:

Yeah you really fudged it up with the definition there haha 

@Bold. Also, to be a pedant, no, North Africans were not necessarily black before Arabs arrived. Most North Africans still look the same as before the Arabs got to North Africa - they did not replace populations. Only thing is that they mixed in, but they were certainly the minority so most of the populations in North Africa/West Asia remained largely the same, gene-wise after they became Arabised. If you go back far enough, yeah sure, literally everyone was black. 

I do see you changed the thread title, so all is good :) 

On Topic: 

I'm gonna go with the Animal Crossing playable character being the best African American character Nintendo has created (or allowed the community to create) 

This the best thing I've ever seen ^ 

North African were blacks the modern day North Africans aren't even Arabs by lineage/genes they're mixed race with Black, Greek, Roman, French and Armenian, they've only chosen to identify as Arabs because their region is close to the Middle East and the French conquest making them interact with the Middle East, North Africans were still black as close as 2000 years ago as the Romans and Greeks depicted them as dark skinned black people.

Also to people arguing about skin tone black people doesn't mean only dark skin black means African descent (Africa was derive from a name that meant land of the blacks) which has the most diverse skin tones of any group Gerudo's for one are likely based off Middle Eastern, North and East Africans the latter being one of the most diverse in cultures for example:

These two women are Ethiopian blacks a country in East Africa, people from countries like Ethiopia and such are often mistaken for Middle Eastern/Asian, where my family are from (Zambia) the are people of multiple tones as well (dark, olive, light etc...).

Ka-pi96 said:

I'm not sure that's true, at least I can't see any evidence of it anyway.

Afri was the name Romans gave to Black people who they encountered outside of Egypt and they called the continent Afri-Terra which translates to Land of the Afri.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 07 June 2020

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Afri was the name Romans gave to Black people and they called the continent Afri-Terra which translates to Land of the Afri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afri

I don't see anything related to skin colour there though. "The name is usually connected with Phoenician ʿafar "dust"" Unless you have some other sources?

Besides, wouldn't the Roman word for black be something akin to negro? I know that's the Spanish word for black and with Spanish being a language descended from Latin I assume the Latin word would be something similar.

"Afri (singular Afer) was a Latin name for the inhabitants of Africa"

You don't need to read anything related to skin colour because that is already provided in the Roman and Greek images of the people showing them as dark skinned so Romans calling them Afri and depicting them as nubian/black means Afri-Terra is Land of the Blacks, they gave race a name instead of calling them by description so essentially you can just add people after the word black if you want to nitpick.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

You do need to read something related to skin colour if you're claiming it to literally mean "land of the blacks" though, otherwise it simply doesn't. Especially since you yourself earlier said that it was the name given to a group of non-Egyptian black people, meaning the Romans wouldn't have even considered all black people African, only those that were actually part of Roman Africa.

It's not nitpicking, it's pointing out that there's no evidence it was named "land of the blacks" rather that it was just named "land of the Afri people (who happen to be black)" in the same way that England originally meant "land of the Angles (who happen to be white)" but nobody would ever claim England meant "land of the whites".

If there is any evidence that "Afri" meant black in any of the local languages, then fair enough. But otherwise there's no evidence to support that claim.

Egyptians weren't called Afri because the Romans and Greeks claimed the region for themselves they saw it as their own empire it's no different to being called Black British etc..., the flaw in your England comparison is that it's named after the tribe not the people Afri is what native black people were called in other words non Roman and Greek parts so effectively it is land of the black people where as England is Land of the Angles tribe who were a German tribe. So yes it is nitpicking.

I havent seen anyone point out Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X yet

Also, yikes, this thread. A guy just wanted to acknowledge dark-skinned video game characters in the wake of all that is happening in the world right now, and some people are so touchy that theyve incited a full on race dispute. You just look like trolls

CaptainExplosion said:
Yerm said:
I havent seen anyone point out Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X yet

Also, yikes, this thread. A guy just wanted to acknowledge dark-skinned video game characters in the wake of all that is happening in the world right now, and some people are so touchy that theyve incited a full on race dispute. You just look like trolls

I just want this thread deleted now. I might try again with it, but I don't fucking know anymore. Mods, please, hurry up and delete this fucking cock of shit. -_-

This can still go in a good direction,the intent was good but try to focus on the positive and try to steer this thread in a positive direction.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Mario. According to 1920s America.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?