By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Linus - I’ve Disappointed and Embarrassed Myself (re: PS5 SSD)

OdinHades said:
Soundwave said:

Actually the N64 era of "only cartridges have the high speed to make 3D worlds! Playstation's slow CD can't do it!" was largely bull shit even back then.

The Playstation was able to do fully 3D polygonal games just fine on top of doing cinematic style games far better than what a cartridge could achieve.

The PSX had long-ass loading times straight outta hell though.

So if the games happen to look better on XSX but the PS5 has little to no loading times, I sure know where my money is going! =P

The XSX's NVMe SSD is blazing fast enough, that difference in loading times would be nothing close to N64 vs. Playstation. 

Around the Network

The attitude and character that Linus showed here, though. The whole social media culture could use more of this kind of stuff. The world would be a better place.

So it seems i was right, Xbox SX need to work different way if they trying  to run UE 5 demo. Game developer need to change on how their engine work on Xbox SX to imitate the same result with PS5 UE5 demo

Billy Stilwell a head of Xbox Xcloud project and backward compatible said this on Podcast

https://lordsofgaming.net/2020/03/bill-stillwell-is-departing-project-xcloud-team-to-join-microsofts-hololens-division/

HollyGamer said:
Snoopy said:

He just doing it because he pissed a lot of his playstation viewers and didn't want to lose money on revenue. Unreal engine demo on PS5 was 1440p and 30fps. Xbox series x should be able to hit 4k and 60 fps. 

He pissed a lot of Apple fans, Samsung fans, Asus fans, EPIC fans, Steam fans and you name it. He review things and made some tech channel. He is tech master race What make him great is he is honest to fact , scientific fact. 

I knew him from his early days, he are well known to break electronic  stuff that he need to review and don't care about every major company.  Youtuber always despise by the media outlet because most of them are really extremely honest. He dont care PS fans, Xbox fans, or even Epic fans.

He just smart and honest.

Also the demo was running frame by frame using PS5 ultra fast SSD, i bet that Xbox SX can even run the same thing, probably it will run with lesser effect or below 30 fps and lower resolution. To run on Xbox , they need to modified the engine to make it work with compute workload rather then just streaming the whole assets

Sony fan are a different breed. They take the console war to a whole new level. Death threats, suicide threats, doxing, ect you name it. They are by far the worse when it comes to being fanboys. Xbox One X can already stream 4k resolution assets at fast speeds, just look at forza horizon 4. The SSD part is not going to be a problem for xbox one series x, in fact the biggest problem with current generation is CPU and GPU when it comes to 4k 60 fps games.

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming/Trolling (multiple posts)

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 08 June 2020

Snoopy said:
HollyGamer said:

He pissed a lot of Apple fans, Samsung fans, Asus fans, EPIC fans, Steam fans and you name it. He review things and made some tech channel. He is tech master race What make him great is he is honest to fact , scientific fact. 

I knew him from his early days, he are well known to break electronic  stuff that he need to review and don't care about every major company.  Youtuber always despise by the media outlet because most of them are really extremely honest. He dont care PS fans, Xbox fans, or even Epic fans.

He just smart and honest.

Also the demo was running frame by frame using PS5 ultra fast SSD, i bet that Xbox SX can even run the same thing, probably it will run with lesser effect or below 30 fps and lower resolution. To run on Xbox , they need to modified the engine to make it work with compute workload rather then just streaming the whole assets

Sony fan are a different breed. They take the console war to a whole new level. Death threats, suicide threats, doxing, ect you name it. They are by far the worse when it comes to being fanboys. Xbox One X can already stream 4k resolution assets at fast speeds, just look at forza horizon 4. The SSD part is not going to be a problem for xbox one series x, in fact the biggest problem with current generation is CPU and GPU when it comes to 4k 60 fps games.

SO Xbox cannot even run the demo 

Xbox Bill Stiwell from Xbox Back compatible division and Xcloud division head who said that.

Also Your accusation about PS fanboy are actully the same with Xbox, Nintendo, PC, Apple, Android. You name it. So how come now you accusiing PS fanboy??? LOL 

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Snoopy said:

Xbox Bill Stiwell from Xbox Back compatible division and Xcloud division head who said that.

Also Your accusation about PS fanboy are actully the same with Xbox, Nintendo, PC, Apple, Android. You name it. So how come now you accusiing PS fanboy??? LOL 

He said if games takes full advantage of the SSD or other features of a console such as the better GPU and CPU of the xbox series X. Developers have to look and see what they can optimize to find a way around it. As it stands, no game has yet taken full advantage of SSD or even requires one currently to play. Xbox series x will be able to run the demo at a higher resolution and fps because of the better GPU and CPU. Streaming assets isn't the problem, take a look at forza horizon 4.  You can drive 270 mph and see 4k assets seamlessly on the xbox one x. Not to mention Bill said developers will find ways around the SSD speeds which makes it more pointless.

Soundwave said:

There's no rule that says MS can't have their 52 CUs run at a higher clock ... it's probably doable quite frankly. If they do that, then the gap that already exists will grow higher. If anything I think the SSD speed stuff is overrated ... the XSX already has a very fast NVMe SSD, the hardware with the better chip pretty much always over time shows itself to be superior. 

Sony knew I think MS wasn't going to let them have the better hardware again, if they went to 52 CUs, then MS simply would have spent more and so on and so on, so knowing they were beat on that front they've chosen to play up this SSD angle because it's all they got hardware wise to point to. 

MS learned  their lesson with XBox One and weren't going to allow Sony to have a more powerful console ever again. XBox One X being better than the PS4 Pro was a tip off. MS leans more on multiplats, and multiplats that look/play best on their console is something they need. MS has deeper pockets than Sony, Sony fans may as well forget about having better hardware, MS learned from this gen that they can't have weaker hardware and can simply outspend Sony on hardware. 

Time to focus on something else. 

Yes let's wait for MS to up their clockrate by 30%....

I love that you think Sony knew exactly the hardware MS was putting and vice-versa.

Soundwave said:

Actually the N64 era of "only cartridges have the high speed to make 3D worlds! Playstation's slow CD can't do it!" was largely bull shit even back then.

The Playstation was able to do fully 3D polygonal games just fine on top of doing cinematic style games far better than what a cartridge could achieve.

I/O is overrated, I doubt you'll see anything that great on a PS5 that an XBSX doesn't do better. It has a better GPU + a very fast SSD on its own and developers are not going to lock out the PC market + potential Switch 2 + XBox market for some PS5 solution that will probably be outdated by PC parts soon enough anyway.

A "regular" NVMe SSD is more than good enough and there's nothing that magical or special about that, iPhones have had NVMe speed for half a decade now. 

Nvidia's DLSS is quite frankly a far bigger deal for graphics performance IMO than anything PS5 or XBSX bring to the table hardware wise (lame duck AMD graphics hardware). With DLSS, an old 2070 vanilla card (not even Super) from two years ago likely can outperform a PS5 or XSX, quite easily at that. 

You have already been explained that DLSS won't do what you think it will, besides that ridiculous notion that just because two systems are playing the same game they are already close in performance.

Same as with SSD you can't stop being wrong.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Snoopy said:
HollyGamer said:

He said if games takes full advantage of the SSD or other features of a console such as the better GPU and CPU of the xbox series X. Developers have to look and see what they can optimize to find a way around it. As it stands, no game has yet taken full advantage of SSD or even requires one currently to play. Xbox series x will be able to run the demo at a higher resolution and fps because of the better GPU and CPU. Streaming assets isn't the problem, take a look at forza horizon 4.  You can drive 270 mph and see 4k assets seamlessly on the xbox one x. Not to mention Bill said developers will find ways around the SSD speeds which makes it more pointless.

The games and the engine that took advantage PS5 SSD is UE 5 and the demo you just claimed can run at 4k at 60 pfs on Xbox , but in reallity. It cannot.

Unreal Engine 5 demo were especially made to utilize PS5 SSD , nanites and Lumen are used fast data streaming tech from PS5

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/03/unreal-engine-rewrite-ps5-ssd-speed/ .

"“The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’ve rewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” 

So probably Epic will have to build new Engine for Xbox SX or perhaps make some extrem modification (i doubt they will) .

Unreal Engine 5 are design by joined reserach between Sony and EPIC 

So  Xbox SX cannot do workload what PS5 can do or perhaps they can do by doing some modification but with less detailed graphic, slow frame rates or less resolution, ,  while PS5 can do what Xbox SX do but with less resolution or less frame rates. 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 08 June 2020

DonFerrari said:
Soundwave said:

There's no rule that says MS can't have their 52 CUs run at a higher clock ... it's probably doable quite frankly. If they do that, then the gap that already exists will grow higher. If anything I think the SSD speed stuff is overrated ... the XSX already has a very fast NVMe SSD, the hardware with the better chip pretty much always over time shows itself to be superior. 

Sony knew I think MS wasn't going to let them have the better hardware again, if they went to 52 CUs, then MS simply would have spent more and so on and so on, so knowing they were beat on that front they've chosen to play up this SSD angle because it's all they got hardware wise to point to. 

MS learned  their lesson with XBox One and weren't going to allow Sony to have a more powerful console ever again. XBox One X being better than the PS4 Pro was a tip off. MS leans more on multiplats, and multiplats that look/play best on their console is something they need. MS has deeper pockets than Sony, Sony fans may as well forget about having better hardware, MS learned from this gen that they can't have weaker hardware and can simply outspend Sony on hardware. 

Time to focus on something else. 

Yes let's wait for MS to up their clockrate by 30%....

I love that you think Sony knew exactly the hardware MS was putting and vice-versa.

Soundwave said:

I/O is overrated, I doubt you'll see anything that great on a PS5 that an XBSX doesn't do better. It has a better GPU + a very fast SSD on its own and developers are not going to lock out the PC market + potential Switch 2 + XBox market for some PS5 solution that will probably be outdated by PC parts soon enough anyway.

A "regular" NVMe SSD is more than good enough and there's nothing that magical or special about that, iPhones have had NVMe speed for half a decade now. 

Nvidia's DLSS is quite frankly a far bigger deal for graphics performance IMO than anything PS5 or XBSX bring to the table hardware wise (lame duck AMD graphics hardware). With DLSS, an old 2070 vanilla card (not even Super) from two years ago likely can outperform a PS5 or XSX, quite easily at that. 

You have already been explained that DLSS won't do what you think it will, besides that ridiculous notion that just because two systems are playing the same game they are already close in performance.

Same as with SSD you can't stop being wrong.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I agree with soundwave. SSD on xbox one series x will be good enough to stream and load video games. They are not going to lock out xbox series x, xbox series s (I think it will become the market leader in US and UK for consoles), PC and possible Switch 2. There isn't even a single game that is created that utilizes SSD yet. You think developers are going to drop the tradional optimization for games just for an SSD on a single platform out of nowhere?

HollyGamer said:
Snoopy said:

The games and the engine that took advantage PS5 SSD is UE 5 and the demo you just claimed can run at 4k at 60 pfs on Xbox , but in reallity. It cannot.

Unreal Engine 5 demo were especially made to utilize PS5 SSD , nanites and Lumen are used fast data streaming tech from PS5

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/03/unreal-engine-rewrite-ps5-ssd-speed/ .

"“The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’ve rewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” 

So probably Epic will have to build new Engine for Xbox SX or perhaps make some extrem modification (i doubt they will) .

Unreal Engine 5 are design by joined reserach between Sony and EPIC 

So basically Sony paid epic games and they said some nice things for PR. Is this the part I am supposed to be impressed? And again, look at Forza Horizon 4. It streams 4k assets at over 270 mph. Most games other than racing doesn't need to stream that fast and yet it can on the xbox one x.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 08 June 2020