By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Linus - I’ve Disappointed and Embarrassed Myself (re: PS5 SSD)

LurkerJ said:
sales2099 said:

I am acknowledging they did a fine job with the SSD. Happy?

But if you honestly think Sony has nothing to do with Epics one sided praises then you just the flip side of me in terms of bias. You can easily acknowledge this but still claim a victory because in the end this is positive press and exposure for your favourite brand.

Since the spec sheets came out overall favouring Series X it is Sony that has everything to prove, not Ms. And like I said it’s weird Epics comments on next gen consoles has been incredibly one sided for a third party dev. 

My favourite brand? lmao, go to sleep. 

and your paranoia is baseless, because it's not just Epic that has been overly and positively vocal, the examples have been countless but your continuous refusal; start with the video in the OP. Did SONY pay Linus too? 

I thought of that, which is why I posted a link to A Forbes article. So I wouldn’t call it “baseless”. Devs have praised both consoles and everybody has their preference. But Epic is the only one that is really going out of their way. 

You don’t have a favourite brand? Unless I misread you and your a Pc guy? Switch?!?! There is nothing wrong with having a preference, never be ashamed to have one. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
LurkerJ said:

Strengthens it only in your paranoid mind.

You clearly seem to be bothered by the attention SONY's receiving and trying to come up with conspiracy theories because it might just kill you to acknowledge they did a fine damn job with their SSD. Your "MS got to step it up" followup post only strengthens my opinion on your behavior. 

But if you honestly think Sony has nothing to do with Epics one sided praises then you just the flip side of me in terms of platform loyalty. You can easily acknowledge this but still claim a victory because in the end this is positive press and exposure for your favourite brand.

Since the spec sheets came out overall favouring Series X it is Sony that has everything to prove, not Ms. And like I said it’s weird Epics comments on next gen consoles has been incredibly one sided for a third party dev. 

Edit: I’m clearly not the only person who thinks this. The awkward moment when Sweeny refused to utter the word “Xbox” when repeatedly asked if the demo could run on Series X. Almost like he was contractually obligated to only talk about PS5 positively. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/05/15/why-is-epic-cheerleading-ps5-and-being-weird-about-xbox-series-x-with-ue5/amp/

Actually several devs have said ignore the specs datasheet, PS5 is a very strong machine and isn't lagging behind Xbox.

And what journalists and bloggers being obnoxous have anything to do with?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

But if you honestly think Sony has nothing to do with Epics one sided praises then you just the flip side of me in terms of platform loyalty. You can easily acknowledge this but still claim a victory because in the end this is positive press and exposure for your favourite brand.

Edit: I’m clearly not the only person who thinks this. The awkward moment when Sweeny refused to utter the word “Xbox” when repeatedly asked if the demo could run on Series X. Almost like he was contractually obligated to only talk about PS5 positively. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/05/15/why-is-epic-cheerleading-ps5-and-being-weird-about-xbox-series-x-with-ue5/amp/

Actually several devs have said ignore the specs datasheet, PS5 is a very strong machine and isn't lagging behind Xbox.

They all say that for PR for both consoles, but it is factual that xbox one series x is more powerful than PS5 in virtually everything other than ssd which doesn't really matter too much for games.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

XSX having a 52 CU GPU is simply going to outperform 36 CU GPU when both are basically the same thing. I hope MS allows for overclocking even, then the disparity will become more and more obvious. 

sales2099 said:
Bandorr said:

So in the thread of a video where Linus calls people out for thinking that Sony paid off Sweeny.. you spread the theory that.. Sony paid off Sweeny?

Watch the video you clearly haven't.

Just watched it, ya the guy apologized for taking 2nd hand info and called him out on things he shouldn’t have. Only strengthens my opinion Sweeny is only hyping up Sony here. All this is free press to ram home the PS5 SSD is the secret sauce of next gen. He should be talking up both, Series X makes a lot of clever uses of its own tech but what we seeing is Epic only advertising for Sony. It’s brilliant because Sony bragging doesn’t have the same weight as a major 3rd party doing it. Comes across as more believable. They should be neutral is my point but to me it looks more like they are obligated to only talk up one platform.  

Why limit it to Sweeney talking it up?

I mean I had my doubts about The Road to PS5 upon 1st watching. After the overselling of PS4 Pro by Cerny, I was not willing to take him at his word, without additional sources chiming in.

However, after hearing Engineers that work on, or worked on CryEngine, id Tech, Unreal Engine, and Frostbite, amoung others,  all singing praises for PS5's architecture, and claiming that the SSD and I/O are going to play a bigger role that many are anticipating, it is really hard not to think that maybe Cerny and Sony really have something to brag about.

Then when you start to dive into the tech, and hear how the SSD & I/O will work hand in hand with the Geometry Engines, and how Ray Tracing is tied Directly to Geometry, then the massive (And it is massive) advanatge that PS5 has in SSD and I/O start sounding like they will play a major role in how games will perform. 

Going further, when you hear how UE5's I/O code has been written to take full advantage of the PS5 SSD and I/O, and how they will be streaming Textures and Geometry in next gen games, it starts to paint a picture that these advantages are not going to be tied to PS5 exclusives only, but all games.

My questions are, why should developers be neutral? What is gained by them withholding knowledge regarding publicly disclosed information? How would it benefit them, or their repuatation if they were not up front about something like this?

If the advantages that the PS5 offers directly affect game development and performance in a significant way, then what is gained by not disclosing that?

Here is my own opinion. Creators want to create were it is easiest, and where they have the most opportunity to achive their ambitions. If the platform that best fits those two attributes is the market leader, then that is a victory for them. That is why certain creators, from all mediums, will get behind specific tools/software/hardware/etc., instead of being neutral. And, they will do it without the need of any buyoffs or payouts. In fact in other industries, entire publishers will flat out through their weight behind specific product, and even publicy speak out against the competitive product (see Disney on Blu-ray vs HD DVD).

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
DonFerrari said:

They all say that for PR for both consoles, but it is factual that xbox one series x is more powerful than PS5 in virtually everything other than ssd which doesn't really matter too much for games.

SSD is crucial especially for future engine and rendering tech, many developer requested this especially EPIC . Sony focus on this and when nuts on this side to make costume solution. 

It's really affecting the competion and the result of game design. It really matter for game engine like UE5 , but it wont matter much on old engine like UE 4 or Unity or game engine which not has any streamming data realtime. 

Soundwave said:
DonFerrari said:

And what journalists and bloggers being obnoxious have anything to do with?

XSX having a 52 CU GPU is simply going to outperform 36 CU GPU when both are basically the same thing. I hope MS allows for overclocking even, then the disparity will become more and more obvious. 

When games are design in traditional way (no data streaming like UE 5 or future rendering technique) games will run slightly better on Xbox SX (probably slightly better resolution or frame rates).

But if games are design with new philosophy and next gen rendering tech where data streaming on real time is crucial (frame by frame) like UE 5 , then games will run worst in Xbox SX or slower and will have pop up in LOD, or worst it will not run at all.

Developer need to modified the engine to run on Xbox SX so GPU do more GPU calculation instead depend on real time data streaming like PS5.

In the end both are great machine which has plus and minus, one have advantage than the other in one aspect and vice versa, So now it depent on how developer harness the technical side of thing from both.  

Soundwave said:
DonFerrari said:

Difference is around 15% or thereabouts in GPU. Its negligible in the grand scheme of overall system performance. XBX will have a slight edge in compute and will have better hardware raytracing capabilities. PS5 will have superior I/O.

Both consoles have their advantages. I'm personally more excited on what much better I/O can bring to the table and what Sony 1st party devs can do with it.

Last edited by hinch - on 07 June 2020

HollyGamer said:
Snoopy said:

SSD is crucial especially for future engine and rendering tech, many developer requested this especially EPIC . Sony focus on this and when nuts on this side to make costume solution. 

It's really affecting the competion and the result of game design. It really matter for game engine like UE5 , but it wont matter much on old engine like UE 4 or Unity or game engine which not has any streamming data realtime. 

I'll believe it when I see it. Only few games right now require/recommend an SSD and it doesn't care what speed it is at.

Snoopy said:
HollyGamer said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Only few games right now require/recommend an SSD and it doesn't care what speed it is at.

UE 5 is the prove of this, but you are right, no games use this tech yet. We will have to wait and see. But on paper and developer notes next gen PC games and multiplat will require more RAM to overcome this problem or an SSD. Or a very powerful GPU and CPU to brute force the lack of IO speed. 

Of course next gen games will be available 2 to 3 years after next gen console released, from now on only 1rts party developer will use that benefit especially SOny first party (Xbox will focus on cross gen for another 2 years).