By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Linus - I’ve Disappointed and Embarrassed Myself (re: PS5 SSD)

CGI-Quality said:
Good on him. Those in the know.......... know.

It would be really surreal if those in the know didn't know.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 05 June 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
I mean, apologising is good and all... but when is he gonna' apologise for wearing sandals and socks? That's the real crime here...

Isn't it fashionable now? I have no idea xP

Props to the guy. Also he breaks down as to why commercial SSD solutions on PC don't offer anywhere near the I/O performance in regards to games. And goes as far as to say that its one area that it actually has a big advantage over anything else. Its a whole new way of thinking and quite innovative stuff we, as gamers should be happy for.

If Microsoft/intel/Nvidia/AMD worked together and find a way to bring this to PC it would be awesome.

CGI-Quality said:
mjk45 said:

It would be really sureal if though's in the know didn't know.

It's isn't surreal, because those not in it are obvious. :)

One thing is obvious  on rereading is my spelling isn't in the know.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

HollyGamer said:

We should soon get a taste of what the PlayStation 5 can really do, given that the showcase event has been confirmed for Thursday, June 4th at 1 PM Pacific Time.

Erm, that was yesterday. Wasn't that showcase postponed due to the protests?
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1291886/PS5-reveal-event-date-Sony-update-next-gen-showcase-PlayStation
No new date yet, coming soon.

SvennoJ said:
HollyGamer said:

We should soon get a taste of what the PlayStation 5 can really do, given that the showcase event has been confirmed for Thursday, June 4th at 1 PM Pacific Time.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1291886/PS5-reveal-event-date-Sony-update-next-gen-showcase-PlayStation

I mean he was correct tho. The event were planned but it was postponed due to unwanted situation. I mean that's not the point of the article, i just copied teh entire statement so everyone can read. 

Around the Network

Good on Linus.

In saying that... He wasn't wrong in asserting that the PC has faster SSD's the Playstation 5. - It's just that wasn't Tim's original assertion and there is more to the SSD than just sequential reads/writes. (Which the PC undoubtedly wins in.)

Just like there is more to performance than teraflops.

Hopefully this puts the boring circular arguments to bed, the real winners are gamers in the end... And like I have said many times, Xbox Series X or Playstation 5, you are getting solid pieces of hardware either way... But welcome to 2020, when finally all platforms are solid state.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

HollyGamer said:
SvennoJ said:

I mean he was correct tho. The event were planned but it was postponed due to unwanted situation. I mean that's not the point of the article, i just copied teh entire statement so everyone can read. 

Noted, for a second I feared I had missed it :)

DonFerrari said:
But the users that badmouth Sony won't agree SSD on PS5 is the good stuff, but will keep calling it secret sauce.

To some it remains a secret. 

Pemalite said:

Good on Linus.

In saying that... He wasn't wrong in asserting that the PC has faster SSD's the Playstation 5. - It's just that wasn't Tim's original assertion and there is more to the SSD than just sequential reads/writes. (Which the PC undoubtedly wins in.)

Hopefully this puts the boring circular arguments to bed, the real winners are gamers in the end... And like I have said many times, Xbox Series X or Playstation 5, you are getting solid pieces of hardware either way... But welcome to 2020, when finally all platforms are solid state.

It's possible to upgrade console HDDs to SSDs since the 7th generation. Just FYI.

Hunting Season is done...

hinch said:
Bristow9091 said:
I mean, apologising is good and all... but when is he gonna' apologise for wearing sandals and socks? That's the real crime here...

Isn't it fashionable now? I have no idea xP

Props to the guy. Also he breaks down as to why commercial SSD solutions on PC don't offer anywhere near the I/O performance in regards to games. And goes as far as to say that its one area that it actually has a big advantage over anything else. Its a whole new way of thinking and quite innovative stuff we, as gamers should be happy for.

If Microsoft/intel/Nvidia/AMD worked together and find a way to bring this to PC it would be awesome.

Some of this stuff Sony worked with AMD to get done for their consoles.
However the findings / results of this, could be used by AMD in future products down the line.

Basically its good that Sony is trying to solve things and think up neat solutions to issues, and asking AMD to do this and that ect.
In the future you might see some of this tech end up in CPU/APU/GPU parts from amd.

Zoombael said:

DonFerrari said:
But the users that badmouth Sony won't agree SSD on PS5 is the good stuff, but will keep calling it secret sauce.

To some it remains a secret. 

Pemalite said:

Good on Linus.

It's possible to upgrade console HDDs to SSDs since the 7th generation. Just FYI.

This is true, but as Mark Cerny discussed in the Road to PS5 talk, putting an SSD into a PS3 and PS4 had very little in the way of performance gains. I had SSD's in my PS3 and PS4, it did help streaming textures, and cut the load times in specific titles, but it was very limited.

With next gen, developers will be able to program to the baseline of every console having an SSD, and take advanatge of the fixed function hardware in the I/O of each console to truly get the most out of those SSD's.

This is something I was glad to see Linus talk about in this video. I have been watching his videos on and off for a long time, and it is always extremely frusterating when he would do a video on a new multi-core CPU or SSDs, and then claim that there is no point in more cores and faster SSDs. It always comes down to the program, if the program is not build to take advanatage of the hardware, then the hardware is not going to be utilized. 

Next gen is going to blow people away, I just hope we can get through this mess going on right now, and get to the positive advanacements that are happening.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL