By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] According to Xbox fan Microsoft will rebrand Xbox Series X to " SEGA Series X " in JAPAN, EDIT: Sega announcing " Arcade cloud " Cloud gaming for Arcade store

Tagged games:

What do you think " if " this is tru

Unexpected 15 38.46%

I always do love Sega more than Xbox 11 28.21%

I hate it , i want Xbox name keep as it is 4 10.26%

Some fans don't have loyalty at all 1 2.56%

I love Sega and Xbox equally 7 17.95%

Actually i love Xbox beca... 1 2.56%

Total:39

FUCK NOW I NEED ONE WITH THE SEGA BRAND!!!!!!!!
Master System was my first videogame back in 1989, so many memories.

Around the Network

I guess it would make sense for both companies, though I am highly skeptical about this. If MS did buy out Sega it would make the playing field a bit more equal, but I do feel that it would have an avalanche effect. Sony could run out and buy a handfull of smaller studios and IP's and even Nintendo could be looking into some strategic purchases. I dunno if overall this would be something to celebrate.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Well it seems we will have a big Sega announcement anyway so something is coming.
Microsoft do not need to buy Sega, they can just make an agreement with Sega to use the name and have their games released exclusively for Xbox and Nintendo consoles, or maybe have an agreement that all Sega games are released first on Xbox.
Of course they would have to pay a lot of money for Sega due to lower sales since they wound not be selling for PS4 but it would be much cheaper than buying the company.

shikamaru317 said:

Well, let’s compare this to what we know about Sega’s June 4th announce from the Japanese tech journalist:

-It’s a hardware announce, but it’s not called Dreamcast 2. (This lines up with Sega partnering with MS to sell the Series X in Japan. Even if Sega doesn’t call it the Sega Series X, they wouldn’t call it Dreamcast 2 in Japan as the Dreamcast was not all that successful on Japan. Saturn is their most successful console in Japan, so Saturn 2 would be a more likely name if they don’t plan to use Series X)

-It’ll rile up the gaming industry (I think it’s safe to say that a Sega-Microsoft partnership would shake up the industry quite a lot, depending upon just how extensive that partnership goes, if it involves Sega exclusives on Xbox it would really shake things up)

-It’s a scoop equivalent to Wired being allowed to officially announce the PS5 and some of its tech details back in April 2019. (I think that it’s safe to say that an exclusive story about a Sega-Microsoft partnership would be a pretty big scoop for a tech journalist. Would get a lot of clicks.)

Also worth noting that Sega site/channel SEGABits previously reported on a Sega-Microsoft partnership rumor a few months ago. In a recent video about the June 4th announcement, they said they still believe that the hardware announce may be Microsoft related.

Was the Saturn more successful in Japan than Mega Drive? I believe it might have sold better than Saturn.

Why everyone seems so skeptical about this? It's just a matter of branding. It's perfectly possible and it would benefit both parts. Series X being called Sega Saturn X (or something like that) and the system potentially recieving every SEGA game could be a huge boost for Microsoft consoles in Japan. And SEGA would most likely get a nice amount of money for letting Microsoft use their brand. Not only that, but having a new console from SEGA (kinda) would also boost their popularity. Everyone wins with almost zero effort xD

Another story would be Microsoft buying SEGA or Xbox getting exclusive deals from SEGA in Japan (like timed exclusives and such). That's a lot less likely, although you have to admit it's also perfectly doable and it would be a huge benefit for both SEGA and Microsoft. Well, maybe the exclusive deals would be a bit risky for SEGA xD

Around the Network

Sony and Sega make an event the same day June 4, possibly Sony has bought Sega

Ryotsu said:
Sony and Sega make an event the same day June 4, possibly Sony has bought Sega

Also don't believe that... 

Vodacixi said:
Why everyone seems so skeptical about this? It's just a matter of branding. It's perfectly possible and it would benefit both parts. Series X being called Sega Saturn X (or something like that) and the system potentially recieving every SEGA game could be a huge boost for Microsoft consoles in Japan. And SEGA would most likely get a nice amount of money for letting Microsoft use their brand. Not only that, but having a new console from SEGA (kinda) would also boost their popularity. Everyone wins with almost zero effort xD

Another story would be Microsoft buying SEGA or Xbox getting exclusive deals from SEGA in Japan (like timed exclusives and such). That's a lot less likely, although you have to admit it's also perfectly doable and it would be a huge benefit for both SEGA and Microsoft. Well, maybe the exclusive deals would be a bit risky for SEGA xD

This exactly.

We are here well aware of how awful Xbox sales are in Japan every week, so if this move would make Microsoft sell 2000 Xbox per week than 50, and make people buy the gamed and the services linked to the box, that would be already a huge improvement.

Like in Europe, no one one would buy a can of "Coke" and would insist on having a can of "Coca-Cola". Same taste but different branding. (And of course, Pepsi is way better)

SKMBlake said:
Vodacixi said:

This exactly.

We are here well aware of how awful Xbox sales are in Japan every week, so if this move would make Microsoft sell 2000 Xbox per week than 50, and make people buy the gamed and the services linked to the box, that would be already a huge improvement.

Like in Europe, no one one would buy a can of "Coke" and would insist on having a can of "Coca-Cola". Same taste but different branding. (And of course, Pepsi is way better)

(I'll do you the benefit of pretending you never said that last bit)

I'm more interested in the prospect that if Xbox were to take in Sega full-time, they'd seriously invest in their games development. That way we can see a lot more output, including the revival of several fan-loved series.

For example, if this had happened a generation earlier, maybe Shenmue III wouldn't have needed crowd funding, and could've had the production value it deserved. I got introduced through Shenmue II on Xbox, along with several other Sega franchises (Sega Racing, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi etc.), and there must be more than a few current Xbox gamers that still remember those titles.

Even though it's a longshot, I don't see what the harm is in entertaining the idea and the possibilities of this kind of deal.

I would call it X-Sega-X   !

Kidding aside, MS need big Japanese games and big support from Jap Devs to be competitive in Japan.  Some special agreement between MS and Sega woiuld help a lot, with exclusive games, new IPs, etc.  We'll see.  I'm very curious right now.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.