Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] According to Xbox fan Microsoft will rebrand Xbox Series X to " SEGA Series X " in JAPAN, EDIT: Sega announcing " Arcade cloud " Cloud gaming for Arcade store

Tagged games:

What do you think " if " this is tru

Unexpected 15 38.46%
 
I always do love Sega more than Xbox 11 28.21%
 
I hate it , i want Xbox name keep as it is 4 10.26%
 
Some fans don't have loyalty at all 1 2.56%
 
I love Sega and Xbox equally 7 17.95%
 
Actually i love Xbox beca... 1 2.56%
 
Total:39
Pemalite said:
vonny said:

Microsoft would have to pay north of 5 billion, it's not happening. The above rumor is even more ludicrous.

Microsoft has a Market Cap of 1.4~ Trillion.

They are 280x larger than that 5~ billion dollar number.

To put that in perspective, Microsoft's market cap is greater than Australia, Mexico, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia or Turkey's GDP.

Just food for thought.


They could also buy both Sony and Nintendo and no blink an eye and have a real monopoly in the video game market, there's a reason they don't and it's the same reason why this rumor is nonsense.  



Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Pemalite said:

Microsoft has a Market Cap of 1.4~ Trillion.

They are 280x larger than that 5~ billion dollar number.

To put that in perspective, Microsoft's market cap is greater than Australia, Mexico, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia or Turkey's GDP.

Just food for thought.


Actually MS market cap is lower than than Australia's GDP but it's only around a 100 billion behind, and Market cap isn't the best indicator of a companies capacity to spend money it can go up and down a lot faster than gdp. after all MS went from 800 billion down to 250 billion before rebounding to today's numbers but it's purchasing capacity remained steady, still your point still stands, I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue against MS's capacity to pay that amount or even more.the catch is the xbox division is worth a fraction of that market cap and any expenditure would have to be seen from that perspective,so it really comes down to a business case and that's why we don't see companies making purchases just because they can.

My read of this is if it turns out true, is it would consist of a marketing/ branding deal covering Japan with SEGA making all their games be available on the SEGA branded console first along with gamepass day one availability,it may even see some games become exclusive in Japan.

Microsoft is at 1.39 Trillion today.

IMF/International Monetary Fund lists Australia at 1.27 Trillion.

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2020/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=68&pr.y=10&sy=2017&ey=2021&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=193&s=NGDP_RPCH%2CPPPGDP%2CPCPIPCH&grp=0&a=

And:
https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2019/02/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=89&pr.y=0&sy=2016&ey=2021&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=193&s=NGDP_RPCH%2CNGDPD%2CPPPGDP%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPPC%2CPCPIPCH&grp=0&a=


Otherwise, you are right of course. Hence why I stated "Food for Thought". - The point trying to be conveyed is that $5 billion is relatively small stuff for Microsoft when they have a $1.4~ Trillion dollar market cap, $140~ Billion dollars in the bank and revenues that exceed $125~ Billion.

Market cap is the number that investors think a company is worth and companies with a reliable track record of consistent growth and who have substantial cash reserves tend to be worth more due to their ability to make their stocks more valuable at the drop of a hat.

vonny said:


They could also buy both Sony and Nintendo and no blink an eye and have a real monopoly in the video game market, there's a reason they don't and it's the same reason why this rumor is nonsense.  

Pretty sure Japan has some extremely strict market rules and regulations that prevents overseas organisations/businesses/governments from buying up everything willy nilly, Japan is actually pretty Pro-Japan, so lots of scrutiny happens.
A Microsoft-Nintendo or Microsoft-Sony merger would thus likely be blocked on anti-competition grounds for example.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 31 May 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Dulfite said:
Does this mean Xbox is going to buy SEGA? That would be insane!

no. Though it would be a good get.

weirdly enough... I can buy this rumour



Well, let’s compare this to what we know about Sega’s June 4th announce from the Japanese tech journalist:

-It’s a hardware announce, but it’s not called Dreamcast 2. (This lines up with Sega partnering with MS to sell the Series X in Japan. Even if Sega doesn’t call it the Sega Series X, they wouldn’t call it Dreamcast 2 in Japan as the Dreamcast was not all that successful on Japan. Saturn is their most successful console in Japan, so Saturn 2 would be a more likely name if they don’t plan to use Series X)

-It’ll rile up the gaming industry (I think it’s safe to say that a Sega-Microsoft partnership would shake up the industry quite a lot, depending upon just how extensive that partnership goes, if it involves Sega exclusives on Xbox it would really shake things up)

-It’s a scoop equivalent to Wired being allowed to officially announce the PS5 and some of its tech details back in April 2019. (I think that it’s safe to say that an exclusive story about a Sega-Microsoft partnership would be a pretty big scoop for a tech journalist. Would get a lot of clicks.)

Also worth noting that Sega site/channel SEGABits previously reported on a Sega-Microsoft partnership rumor a few months ago. In a recent video about the June 4th announcement, they said they still believe that the hardware announce may be Microsoft related.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 31 May 2020

Sega publishing the Xbox doesn't necessarily mean Microsoft will buy them out.



PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Well, let’s compare this to what we know about Sega’s June 4th announce from the Japanese tech journalist:

-It’s a hardware announce, but it’s not called Dreamcast 2. (This lines up with Sega partnering with MS to sell the Series X in Japan. Even if Sega doesn’t call it the Sega Series X, they wouldn’t call it Dreamcast 2 in Japan as the Dreamcast was not all that successful on Japan. Saturn is their most successful console in Japan, so Saturn 2 would be a more likely name if they don’t plan to use Series X)

-It’ll rile up the gaming industry (I think it’s safe to say that a Sega-Microsoft partnership would shake up the industry quite a lot, depending upon just how extensive that partnership goes, if it involves Sega exclusives on Xbox it would really shake things up)

-It’s a scoop equivalent to Wired being allowed to officially announce the PS5 and some of its tech details back in April 2019. (I think that it’s safe to say that an exclusive story about a Sega-Microsoft partnership would be a pretty big scoop for a tech journalist. Would get a lot of clicks.)

Also worth noting that Sega site/channel SEGABits previously reported on a Sega-Microsoft partnership rumor a few months ago. In a recent video about the June 4th announcement, they said they still believe that the hardware announce may be Microsoft related.

"Mega Drive 2" series S or "Genesis" series S

I am predicting the Series S will come under the name Xbox series Sega on Japan. 



I don't think I can believe this, would be such a massive disappointment



Hardware can be Arcade related as well. A new arcade machine like Daytona 3 was a couple years ago. They could do what Capcom did and release an Arcade stick with built in games for a few hundred bucks.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I swear to God, Microsoft buying gaming companies rumours are the most stupid and insane , people believe in anything. Months ago it was microsoft buying EA, then it was buying cdproject red and people saying it would BE like Sony buying insomniac( CDP is worth more than Ubisoft) now its this... This takes the Cake.



 

For the love of god let this not be true.... Atlus in the hands of Microsoft? no.... just no.