Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] According to Xbox fan Microsoft will rebrand Xbox Series X to " SEGA Series X " in JAPAN, EDIT: Sega announcing " Arcade cloud " Cloud gaming for Arcade store

Tagged games:

What do you think " if " this is tru

Unexpected 15 38.46%

I always do love Sega more than Xbox 11 28.21%

I hate it , i want Xbox name keep as it is 4 10.26%

Some fans don't have loyalty at all 1 2.56%

I love Sega and Xbox equally 7 17.95%

Actually i love Xbox beca... 1 2.56%

Total:39

Something smells, probably the bullshit

Nothing to see here, move along

Around the Network

This isn't happening for a couple of reasons:
1) Series X is already announced as Xbox Series X in Japan with no SEGA involved. Does anyone think they will change it last minute? https://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/consoles/xbox-series-x
2) I don't see much benefit for both sides. SEGA gets a lot of money from MS, sure. But instead they would be obligated to bring all their games to additional platform which they could have skipped before that. It also removes an ability to partner with Sony or Nintendo for timed exclusivity for them which can also bring a lot of money. MS will get an increase in one of the biggest Japanese publishers support but it will come at a huge cost for them I guess, so not so sure if they are willing to invest that much into it. Also, seems like SEGA is not the best partner to choose as SEGA has been pretty good already with Xbox support even during Xbox One gen.

On the other hand, I still expect some partnership between MS and SEGA because there has been a few rumors about it but I don't expect it to be hardware related at all.

Seems pointless if they're still planning to release games on Sony and Nintendo's systems. As a console name, I can't imagine the SEGA name having much goodwill after their last two systems failed two decade ago.

4 ≈ One

Improbable. Sega was never a huge brand in Japan. Sure, the Mega Drive and Saturn did a lot better than any Xbox system, but they were largely a non-factor in Japan, where the #1 system was either a Nintendo or PlayStation system. I doubt that rebranding an obvious Xbox with the Sega name will help the Series X.

The only way this makes sense is if Microsoft bought SEGA. SEGA isn’t going to slap their brand on something they have no control of. I think it would be awesome if Microsoft did buy sega, as they are just about the most aimless company in gaming and they are sitting on a treasure trove of IP’s. Not going to happen though, at least not like this. First of all, that is too much money to throw at gaming. Even when Microsoft went on a buying spree last couple of years, they didn’t buy anything big. They were all small studios. If they were buying sega, it wouldn’t be a secret, it would be all over the news, it’s too big of a purchase to hide for a gaming event.

Somebody should buy SEGA from Sammy though...

Around the Network

Not the craziest rumor I've ever heard. But I'd put this under the very unlikely list of rumors. Phil Spencer has mentioned before we wants to acquire a Japanese studio. However, all recent acquisitions have been FAR cheaper than what it would cost to acquire Sega, even if it didn't include Sammy.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

EnricoPallazzo said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, let’s compare this to what we know about Sega’s June 4th announce from the Japanese tech journalist:

-It’s a hardware announce, but it’s not called Dreamcast 2. (This lines up with Sega partnering with MS to sell the Series X in Japan. Even if Sega doesn’t call it the Sega Series X, they wouldn’t call it Dreamcast 2 in Japan as the Dreamcast was not all that successful on Japan. Saturn is their most successful console in Japan, so Saturn 2 would be a more likely name if they don’t plan to use Series X)

-It’ll rile up the gaming industry (I think it’s safe to say that a Sega-Microsoft partnership would shake up the industry quite a lot, depending upon just how extensive that partnership goes, if it involves Sega exclusives on Xbox it would really shake things up)

-It’s a scoop equivalent to Wired being allowed to officially announce the PS5 and some of its tech details back in April 2019. (I think that it’s safe to say that an exclusive story about a Sega-Microsoft partnership would be a pretty big scoop for a tech journalist. Would get a lot of clicks.)

Also worth noting that Sega site/channel SEGABits previously reported on a Sega-Microsoft partnership rumor a few months ago. In a recent video about the June 4th announcement, they said they still believe that the hardware announce may be Microsoft related.

Was the Saturn more successful in Japan than Mega Drive? I believe it might have sold better than Saturn.

According to Famitsu numbers, Mega Drive sold 3.58m in about 8 years in Japan. Saturn sold 5.75m in 4 and a half years. That is substantially more sales in less time.

Shadow1980 said:

Improbable. Sega was never a huge brand in Japan. Sure, the Mega Drive and Saturn did a lot better than any Xbox system, but they were largely a non-factor in Japan, where the #1 system was either a Nintendo or PlayStation system. I doubt that rebranding an obvious Xbox with the Sega name will help the Series X.

You're underestimating the success of Saturn in Japan. Fun fact, Sega Saturn was only on the market in Japan for 4 years before Sega Dreamcast released, yet it still sold more units in Japan than N64, Gamecube, and Wii U from Nintendo, and it is only just slightly behind Vita (which was on the market for 8 years in Japan). Saturn was actually tracking ahead of PS1 in Japan until 1997, when FF7 released:

Saturn PS1 N64
1994 +800k +300k NA
1995 +1660k (2.5m lifetime) +1700k (2m lifetime) NA
1996 +2310k (4.81m lifetime) +2200k (4.2m lifetime) +2000k
1997 +810k (5.62m lifetime) +4400k (8.6m lifetime) +1110k (3.11m lifetime)
1998 +150k (5.77m lifetime) +6110k (14.7m lifetime) +1210k (4.35m lifetime)
1999 +940k (5.29m lifetime)
2000 +200k (5.49m lifetime)
2001 (15.25m lifetime) +50k (5.54m lifetime)

shikamaru317 said:
hinch said:
Stupid rumour is stupid. The SEGA name is pretty irrelevant in Japan why would MS even do this. Nope.

You are thinking of Sega Mega Drive and Sega Dreamcast only. Sega Saturn sold quite well in Japan, even though it was only on the market for 4 years before it's successor was released, it managed to sell 5.8m units in Japan. That is nearly 4x more than the bestselling Xbox console in Japan, Xbox 360, which sold 1.6m. 

Also Sega has several IP's that are fairly popular in Japan, which MS could potentially get as timed Xbox exclusives to help push the system (as well as xCloud) in Japan, including Persona, Yakuza, and Sakura Wars.

Thanks for proving my point. That was how many years ago? Like over 20. And Saturn was a catastrophic failure.

Have to ask why would proud Japanese company even think about being bought out by a foreign company. On their 60th anniversary at that.

Again, dumb.

hinch said:
shikamaru317 said:

You are thinking of Sega Mega Drive and Sega Dreamcast only. Sega Saturn sold quite well in Japan, even though it was only on the market for 4 years before it's successor was released, it managed to sell 5.8m units in Japan. That is nearly 4x more than the bestselling Xbox console in Japan, Xbox 360, which sold 1.6m. 

Also Sega has several IP's that are fairly popular in Japan, which MS could potentially get as timed Xbox exclusives to help push the system (as well as xCloud) in Japan, including Persona, Yakuza, and Sakura Wars.

Thanks for proving my point. That was how many years ago? Like over 20. And Saturn was a catastrophic failure.

Have to ask why would proud Japanese company even think about being bought out by a foreign company. On their 60th anniversary at that.

Again, dumb.

Nothing here says they are being bought out. This may simply be a partnership, much like the Tencent-Nintendo partnership in China, where Tencent markets and sells the Switch for Nintendo. 

shikamaru317 said:
hinch said:

Again, dumb.

Nothing here says they are being bought out. This may simply be a partnership, much like the Tencent-Nintendo partnership in China, where Tencent markets and sells the Switch for Nintendo. 

Well sell out, was I meant to say. Its still doesn't make sense, at all.

I digress. Wait a few days.. this is one of those stupid rumours.