By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] According to Xbox fan Microsoft will rebrand Xbox Series X to " SEGA Series X " in JAPAN, EDIT: Sega announcing " Arcade cloud " Cloud gaming for Arcade store

Tagged games:

What do you think " if " this is tru

Unexpected 15 38.46%

I always do love Sega more than Xbox 11 28.21%

I hate it , i want Xbox name keep as it is 4 10.26%

Some fans don't have loyalty at all 1 2.56%

I love Sega and Xbox equally 7 17.95%

Actually i love Xbox beca... 1 2.56%

Total:39
Xxain said:
sales2099 said:

Sega could get a cut of each console sale and other agreements and will have control of the branding and marketing. Who knows. But what I do know is that for a speculation rumor....you have a little bit of salt in your words. 

Still does not answer that question. Salt in my wounds ... from what? Another dumb argument.. possibly.

I edited my post to address your comment. And I said “words” as in you seem overly defensive at the thought of Sega teaming up with MS. Western Sega fans should embrace this rumor, Sega and og Xbox go way back. Share a common enemy, what’s not to get behind? Usually when I see a zealous principled post there’s usually a very simple and personal reason behind it 9/10. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Forgot to mention that this also just about the only possible tech-related announcement that fits the description "will rile up the industry."

Certainly riled up this thread.

sales2099 said:
Xxain said:

Still does not answer that question. Salt in my wounds ... from what? Another dumb argument.. possibly.

I edited my post to address your comment. And I said “wordS” as in you seem overly defensive at the thought of Sega teaming up with MS. Western Sega fans should embrace this rumor, Sega and og Xbox go way back. Share a common enemy, what’s not to get behind?

Defensive? No. I actively support a SEGA/MS console even if its a not theirs. Having a console to carry means that you need the muscle. If this is the fire that SEGA needs reawaken that SEGA spirit from the 90's by gawd I am all for it, but I'm not going to play with an idea that does align with what info we have about it. trying to imply that someone is a fanboy is like your second line of defense when you have no strong arguments.

I'm 100% positive that SEGA does not consider SONY an enemy. Nagoshi, Yakuza guy, is major SONY supporter as SONY help get Yakuza off the ground and SEGA' continues to make most their money on PS consoles. Highly doubt there is any animosity.

Xxain said:
shikamaru317 said:

How do we know this partnership hasn't been in the making for years, with Sega and Microsoft collaborating to design the Xbox Series X? It's unlikely, but not impossible. 

Another possibility is that Sega is releasing that eye tracking peripheral they have been working on as an Xbox accessory, as part of this partnership.

1. Because it lacks any Japanese flavor. XBX is totally, without a question, a western created console. We would see that SEGA style (or Japanese in general). Again though... it does not answer any of my questions, specifically the second the. Whatever it is, It developed by SEGA. Its is waaay more plausible and sensible that MS would and SHOULD have announce it at THEIR reveal. That would have been an explosive announcement.

2. Cant imagine SEGA would create revolutionary tech .... and then tie it to XBOX. If its as big as they say it is I'm sure its designed to benefit SEGA... not MS.

Okay, I'm not saying that this rumor is true (I hope it is, but I doubt it) but what you're saying there makes absolutely zero sense. Announcing a SEGA branded console in a MS event would defeat the whole purpose of this parnership, which is that the japanese market perceive the product as a SEGA product; that means that MS should avoid mention it as much as possible and let Sega do all the talking and all the marketing.

Xxain said:
sales2099 said:

I edited my post to address your comment. And I said “wordS” as in you seem overly defensive at the thought of Sega teaming up with MS. Western Sega fans should embrace this rumor, Sega and og Xbox go way back. Share a common enemy, what’s not to get behind?

Defensive? No. I actively support a SEGA/MS console even if its a not theirs. Having a console to carry means that you need the muscle. If this is the fire that SEGA needs reawaken that SEGA spirit from the 90's by gawd I am all for it, but I'm not going to play with an idea that does align with what info we have about it. trying to imply that someone is a fanboy is like your second line of defense when you have no strong arguments.

I'm 100% positive that SEGA does not consider SONY an enemy. Nagoshi, Yakuza guy, is major SONY supporter as SONY help get Yakuza off the ground and SEGA' continues to make most their money on PS consoles. Highly doubt there is any animosity.

Well thank you for making your intentions known. Its crazy but this isn’t the first time we’ve heard this rumor. Sega has the IPs and brand and MS has the muscle. Both specs and funding wise. Game Pass and Xcloud can really push Sega  games in a low barrier and low cost method that can benefit both parties. 

As for Sony it’s easy to see that’s where the money comes from with marketshare and what not. I’d venture to say that’s out of necessity rather then desire though. 

Sorry but you do have a Sonic avatar. Makes me think you are a Sega purist, you’d probably assume the same about mine (and you’d be right). 

Guess we see in a week. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
hinch said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'd agree its just a rumor, I say definitely not true.

However, the idea itself makes sense and calling it selling out suggests you just hate the idea of them working together.

Sega consoles sold better in Japan and Sega no longer makes consoles. If the two are open to doing a partnership, that would be fine.

What, okay. I'll bite.

Sega hasn't made a successful console since the Megadrive? You think they will announce a new console ahead of the PS stream in collaboration with US company. Sounds like a fanboys wet dream.

Besides the Xbox Series X website is up for Japan, check it out.

Straw man, this isn't a debate about what was Sega's last successful console. I am saying Sega had much more success selling consoles in Japan than MS. Hence, its not entirely crazy they would consider collaborating with a popular Japanese company.

But again, I think the whole idea of a Sega Series X is silly. And you make a good point, its too late considering they are already marketing it without Sega.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I know I know its GAMEGEAR 2 thats totally revolutionary.

sales2099 said:
Xxain said:

Well thank you for making your intentions known. Its crazy but this isn’t the first time we’ve heard this rumor. Sega has the IPs and brand and MS has the muscle. Both specs and funding wise. Game Pass and Xcloud can really push Sega  games in a low barrier and low cost method that can benefit both parties. 

As for Sony it’s easy to see that’s where the money comes from with marketshare and what not. I’d venture to say that’s out of necessity rather then desire though. 

Sorry but you do have a Sonic avatar. Makes me think you are a Sega purist, you’d probably assume the same about mine (and you’d be right). 

Guess we see in a week. 

1. MS made a statement about wanting to get some Japanese developers and nearly every major Japanese developer was rumored: FromSoftware, Platinum games, Sakaguchi's new studio ... What does it really mean my guy? It is only natural that gamers will guess developers they have some sort of prior relationship(don't ask me why everybody though Platinum though). A partnership where in return for growing Xbox in Japan, MS pays for all SEGA games... fine, but still does not align with rumor though. As of not now the rumor points towards SEGA revealing new technology not a partnership.

2. Necessity? So Yakuza remained exclusive to PS for long because of necessity? How about Persona? Seems like choices to me. SEGA could have major success on Nintendo Switch if they so chose too. Bullshit guy.

RolStoppable said:
Forgot to mention that this also just about the only possible tech-related announcement that fits the description "will rile up the industry."

Maybe a Sega handheld that is able to play all their older games, and bundled with 20-25 classics, could be considered as "revolucionary" for many people, even if it is not. 

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

1. Because it lacks any Japanese flavor. XBX is totally, without a question, a western created console. We would see that SEGA style (or Japanese in general). Again though... it does not answer any of my questions, specifically the second the. Whatever it is, It developed by SEGA. Its is waaay more plausible and sensible that MS would and SHOULD have announce it at THEIR reveal. That would have been an explosive announcement.

2. Cant imagine SEGA would create revolutionary tech .... and then tie it to XBOX. If its as big as they say it is I'm sure its designed to benefit SEGA... not MS.

Allow me to ask you this: 

Knowing what we know from the tech journalist who is breaking the story on June 4th (hardware announce that is not Dreamcast 2, will shake up the gaming industry, equivalent scoop to announcing the PS5), what do you think the announce could be if not Sega Series X?

A new arcade board? Doubtful, while a new Sega arcade board soon is likely since the latest one (ALLS from 2018) will be outdated once PS5 and XSX release, I don’t see how a new arcade board would rile up the industry or be equivalent to announcing PS5.

A new Sega console? This seems unlikely. I think that Sega knows that there isn’t room for 4 consoles in the current console gaming market. Also, a new console would necessitate exclusives, and Sega has recently said they are happy with their success as a 3rd party multiplat publisher, I doubt they want to go back to releasing exclusives again. Maybe timed exclusives, but not full exclusives.

A new handheld? Much the same problem as a new console. The market is very different now than it once was, many handheld fans have moved to phone gaming, and the rest are on Switch, Sega knows they can’t compete in that space, especially without full exclusives.

Another mini console? This would neither rile up the industry or be equivalent to the PS5 Wired article.

A Sega streaming or download service? These are a dime a dozen now, everybody has one. Don’t see how this would rile up the industry or be equivalent to the PS5 Wired article.

A VR or AR headset? I doubt that Sega could come up with something innovative enough that would be rile up the industry compared to western alternatives, or Sony’s likely in development PSVR 2.

If it’s none of those things, the only other thing I can think of is a MS-Sega partnership. It checks every box, it would technically be new Sega hardware (even if Sega didn’t design it), it’s a big enough deal to rile up the industry, and an exclusive scoop about it would be as big a deal as the PS5 announce was for Wired.

To answer your question first. I have no fucking idea 

XBX thing does not check everybox. Why would the industry be riled up that SEGA and MS will be teaming for the release in Japan? I highly doubt Nintendo or SONY care. I love SEGA but they do NOT have the brand power to stand up to both SONY AND Nintendo (especially Nintendo). Outside of fans that don't want to buy a MS console to play SEGA games (assuming they are exclusive)... who else in the industry will be riled? Why would anybody else care? Again why is he calling this revolutionary tech? why would he interview SEGA about tech announced and revealed 6 months ago? the idea of SEGA being behind a console (theirs or not) is NOT revolutionary.

My personal guess is that SEGA has some hot tech that they are totally banking on to be huge, not just a new console type tech, but something fresh and new SEGA box would be dope, but it just does align with info