By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition Reviews: 89 Metacritic, and 89 Opencritic

Metallox said:
ARamdomGamer said:

Because Melia IS the worst character in the game

WHAT IN THE-

No, he's actually right :P 

Around the Network

"While this is Xenoblade Chronicles' definitive version, the game isn’t a remake or a remaster in any form. The graphics are largely unchanged from the Wii and 3DS versions, except that they run at the Nintendo Switch's higher resolution." -PCMag

I do have to wonder sometimes where these aggregate sites set the standard for how informed a review needs to be. The IGN review is embarrassing enough, but some of these are spreading outright misinformation.

Watching the Digital Foundary video, I can understand better why the performance and upgrade wasn't everything people could've hoped for, and I guess that's accurately represented in the slightly lower Meta (which I thought would be higher than the original).

Even so, it still looks phenomenal, and it's a dream come true for me.

Hynad said:
Runa216 said:
I love classic FF (1-12), will I like this? I've been meaning to get it for ages, but I can never bring myself to do it due to the cost.

If you liked FFXII, you’ll probably enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles.

In many aspects, it’s arguably a much better game.

I sort of look at FF12 as a bit of a half-baked attempt at Xenoblade. At least, from the gameplay perspective. Storywise, FF12 is a mess, with the parts built by Yasumi Matsuno shining tremendously, and the poorly paced badly balanced crap the team after him put in stinking to high hell. Sakaguchi himself refused to play the game beyond the beginning portions because he knew the slaughterjob that was done on the rest of it to rush it out the door.

Admittedly, the game was going way over time, but I think giving it the time it needed would have yielded the greatest Final Fantasy game ever made.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Bristow9091 said:
Metallox said:

WHAT IN THE-

Well, if you know what you're doing, Melia is the best character in the game. Unless they nerfed her.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Bristow9091 said:

Well, if you know what you're doing, Melia is the best character in the game. Unless they nerfed her.

Guessing you never read the thread I made a couple of years back when I played through the game for the first time? Dear lord I DESPISED her lol

Around the Network

Very good score for a remaster that even got some features being worse than the original like resolution.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Very good score for a remaster that even got some features being worse than the original like resolution.

If you wanna get technical here, portable mode can still output a better resolution at it's max than the OG version. Even then, you're playing the game on a smaller screen than your TV which render the resolution a less pixelated look than a 480p image on the bigger screen.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
DonFerrari said:

If you wanna get technical here, portable mode can still output a better resolution at it's max than the OG version. Even then, you're playing the game on a smaller screen than your TV which render the resolution a less pixelated look than a 480p image on the bigger screen.

And it also drop bellow that occasionally and have some issues on the AA. Plus since you can also play on big screen that should be taken in consideration. Plus Switch being much more capable than Wii but still the not putting good use of the extra juice.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Mar1217 said:

And it also drop bellow that occasionally and have some issues on the AA. Plus since you can also play on big screen that should be taken in consideration. Plus Switch being much more capable than Wii but still the not putting good use of the extra juice.

They remade the game with the modified XCX engine and modeled environments that used billboarding techniques previously.

They wanted a game that look on par with the other games on the console. Upscaling the previous version would have just showed how poor the old one look.

Going for graphical fidelity was the right choice in this case.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
DonFerrari said:

They remade the game with the modified XCX engine and modeled environments that used billboarding techniques previously.

They wanted a game that look on par with the other games on the console. Upscaling the previous version would have just showed how poor the old one look.

Going for graphical fidelity was the right choice in this case.

But looking at what other games achieved graphically would you say this game is on the same standard?