By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal 5 Demo vs Series X Reveal

Which event got you more impressed?

Xbox Series X Gameplay Event 25 27.17%

Unreal Engine 5 PS5 Demo 67 72.83%

Total:92

If Unreal can do this to PS5, imagine a first party games from Sony , it will be beyond ultra real

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
thismeintiel said:

Maybe with pop in galore.

@ OP

Funny how people thought Sony was behind. Now we have reveals of what really matters, gameplay/games. XSX is getting ratioed and the PS5 is going viral. Who's behind?

the one thats 1440p @30fps

I wonder if this is going to be the whole resolutiongate thing all over again... Just reversed this time around...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
kirby007 said:

the one thats 1440p @30fps

I wonder if this is going to be the whole resolutiongate thing all over again... Just reversed this time around...

absolutely

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Captain_Yuri said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Gameplay of a tech demo vs gameplay and in engine footage of games actually coming out that people can play. 

As others have said, uh the Xbox reveal was Hellblade II and in what world would a tech demo surpass actual games. Plus who is actually thinking Sony is losing market share or PR points? Is this another crapgamer/Youtuber angle?

Well everyone has a different preference on what they want to see but I personally wanted to see a glimpse of next gen instead of all the cross gen stuff which the xbox event showcased.

You are correct about Hellblade II though but the OP is comparing something else which is what I responded to... Not sure about the rest of your comments though loll.

Xbox event had next gen exclusive stuff. Just seems weird to downplay in engine and gameplay footage from real actual games while propping up gameplay from a literal tech demo. 

The rest of my comment was directed at the OP and his make believe narrative that Sony is losing the PR battle with PS5 or that it even matters.

kirby007 said:
SvennoJ said:

I'm mostly excited about the scaling that engine provides. "Rendering one triangle per pixel essentially means that performance scales closely with resolution. "Interestingly, it does work very well with our dynamic resolution technique as well," adds Penwarden. "So, when GPU load gets high we can lower the screen resolution a bit and then we can adapt to that" This is perfect for VR, no need to cut detail manually.

it works well for underpowered systems like the switch aswell

Yep the scaling should work, but extra work will need to be done for memory and card access speed. That part with the complex statues will be a bottleneck for memory, while the flight sequence is a big bottleneck for both memory and anything without a fast SSD. Cross gen titles, aka the first couple years won't be able to rely on the fast SSD speeds.

Around the Network

I guess I would go with Hellblade 2's reveal at the Game Awards over the Unreal Engine 5 tech demo. Both look graphically impressive, though.
It's weird because Hellblade 2 is in-engine while the UE5 tech demo is running in real-time as "gameplay." Honestly, I don't know what is supposed to be more impressive.

I picked HB2 because it looks to appear more substantial and something that's coming in the near future. The UE5 demo on the PS5 looks great, but as people have said, its a look into what games can truly look like when they live up to the full potential of the engine. Whether that's applicable in 2-3 years remains to be seen. I know this example is sort of not that relatable, but I'm sure people remember that FFVII PS3 tech demo back in 2005, salivating on what FFVII could look like in, at the time of the PS3/X360, modern tech. It only took more than 15 years later, and another generation, for that dream of an FFVII remake to come true (at least 1 part of the game :P).

UE5 appears to have some interesting potential. I'm not sure how much in terms of gameplay, though. Hopefully we'll see something cool about it in the near future.

thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:

Who cares, the XBox SX will run the same demo at likely higher performance.

Maybe with pop in galore.

@ OP

Funny how people thought Sony was behind. Now we have reveals of what really matters, gameplay/games. XSX is getting ratioed and the PS5 is going viral. Who's behind?

And we have people saying "who said Sony was losing in marketing or mindshare?". Like several threads bashing Sony and haven't seem anything. Then questioning if this single demo runing realtime were more powerfull to bring mindshare than the half-hour demos of CG "target resolution" is a problem.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well everyone has a different preference on what they want to see but I personally wanted to see a glimpse of next gen instead of all the cross gen stuff which the xbox event showcased.

You are correct about Hellblade II though but the OP is comparing something else which is what I responded to... Not sure about the rest of your comments though loll.

Xbox event had next gen exclusive stuff. Just seems weird to downplay in engine and gameplay footage from real actual games while propping up gameplay from a literal tech demo. 

The rest of my comment was directed at the OP and his make believe narrative that Sony is losing the PR battle with PS5 or that it even matters.

All the games show in the event of last week weren't actual gameplay footage, several were CG and all had the label "game and system in development" and also claiming that was graphic target likely to be the one on XSX (and not impressive by the way).

This was a demo runing realtime on PS5 so something that is above the target runs of the other event.

And there is no make believe, you may have ignored several threads on the subject here, but it doesn't matter, it was a long talk about Sony losing on the PR battle and marketing. Weren't you in the thread claiming Sony reacted to Xbox reveal on that GDC video?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

twintail said:
I think that ultimately this UE5 showing has a more positive effect for Sony than MS's Inside Xbox had for MS.

I agree that MS showed off actual games, but the over-hyping of the event and not delivering on gameplay promises I think dampened the entire affair.
While the UE5 demo was a tech demo, I am under the impression that it was an actual playable demo running on PS5 hardware, and not a typical tech demo that is just a demonstration of the tech with no player input.

Either way, it looked more impressive than anything we saw at Inside Xbox but the latter obviously had actual games.

I also don't think the HellBlade 2 trailer means much at this point. We have no idea if that is what ingame footage will look like when playing or anything. It looked super good. So if you think the UE5 demo is nothing to gush over, neither would the HB2 trailer imho.

It was explicitly said that the Unreal 5 demo was running realtime on PS5 and was captured and recorded.

All the trailers on the Series X event on OP had a tag that basically said those were target graphic because the game and system is in development with some saying it was recorded in-engine. But yes even the opening of the video say those games were gameplay but mostly all show was CG movies.

As a neutral party (Nintendo faithful) my interest in the Unreal Demo was just to see what Unreal 5 could do and to get a general sense of next gen hardware. I'm assuming it will run at least as well on series X so it didn't sway me in one way or the other in that regard.