By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

victor83fernandes said:

Disappointing, I was already expecting great graphics, but coming from ps4 pro and xbox X, I was hoping for new gaming mechanics. I don't see any big difference from this to uncharted 4, looks like a corridor exploration adventure game, even has the same climbing and between rocks squeeze.

Sure great graphics and fast loadings, nothing game changing for me.

That only speaks to your inability to grasp what you are looking at, not that the demo in of itself is not impressive. Which makes me wonder, what exactly would be game changing in such a tech demo? The ability to get a free bj and candy while you're playing the game? Not sure we're there yet...

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
kirby007 said:

so barely 1440p @ 30fps without RT pardon me?

Ironically, it would more than likely run better if RT was implemented because they could offload a lot of the calculations. 

i dunno feels like its doing a Ryse

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

victor83fernandes said:

Disappointing, I was already expecting great graphics, but coming from ps4 pro and xbox X, I was hoping for new gaming mechanics. I don't see any big difference from this to uncharted 4, looks like a corridor exploration adventure game, even has the same climbing and between rocks squeeze.

Sure great graphics and fast loadings, nothing game changing for me.

I think this was intentional. On one hand it's just a tech demo so it wouldn't make sense to pour efforts into crazy mechanics that wouldn't end up in a product.

On the other hand the demo clearly starts off by displaying the kind of experiences we've come to expect albeit in unaparreled detail (including the loading trick between rocks), then they rip the curtains down and unveil the same detail in an instantly transportable open world that has never been possible before. 

Remembering this is a Game Engine showcase and not a PS5 game reveal, the effort is put on what the engine means for creators. 

I had a similar lack of enthusiasm for the mechanics but couldn't help but get excited about what this could mean for my favourite franchises. 

Marth said:
Apperantly around 24 people worked 7 months for this tech demo.

And UEV doesn't even come out for another year.
Release mid 2021.

This is actually not a lot for such a polished vehicle slice. Give them another year and you could have a great little adventure game.

There are 33 million polygons in one of these stone statues.
In the demo 485 statues are represented at the same time

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 14 May 2020

Around the Network

setsunatenshi said:
KLAMarine said:

Perchance it does do something besides illumination but I see her use it for illumination during the rest of the demo and nothing else.

Whatever, Unreal's gotta sell their engine somehow...

The fact that this is a tech demo is partially why this irks me so. I think it's safe to say that Unreal wants to sell their engine and thus the writing can come off as transparent when it shows actions and lighting during moments the writing may not call for it.

If I saw this in the middle of a game during regular play, I'd just think it odd and move on.

Wtf, are you for real? This is not a game, it's a tech demo to show off relatable moments in games and how they could look like in UE5. It's not supposed to have any writing or any story consistence.

Hint, there's really nothing happening after the character reaches that final teleport thingy and the end...

Can't believe this had to be spelled out.

No need to tell me this is a tech demo. I'm perfectly aware.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

There are 33 million polygons in one of these stone statues.
In the demo 485 statues are represented at the same time

That is 16 billions emotions right there...

chakkra said:
Trunkin said:

Ah, well. It's still a whole lot more feasible than I initially thought.

According to eurogamer, that demo we saw wasn't even using ray tracing. Now I'm left wondering what we even need RT for if games can look that good without it.

THANK YOU!

I´ve always thought that RT is a monumental waste of resources.

NO, RT is not a waste of time but right now the cost may still be to expensive.  Even in this demo you can see that its lighting doesn't hit everything like the point lights on the bug which did not cast a shadow.

Lumen will be a much more cost effective technique than raytracing, it will make a huge difference on consoles when it comes to saving resources/processing power.

CuCabeludo said:

Lumen will be a much more cost effective technique than raytracing, it will make a huge difference on consoles when it comes to saving resources/processing power.

We need to see how Lumen handle reflections and other aspect of RT before we give it the win.  Full RT is where we should be pushing hardware as things like Lumen are fine but it really does not compare to RT.  Also if you go back to the Lumen demo you will see that it doesn't cast shadows on the bugs moving around which is a shortcoming I can see already.