By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

OTBWY said:
I want to see it running on the Series X cause this was 1440p 30fps with no raytracing.

It will be the same, because this playable tech are optimize using SSD's that only possible on PS5 , of course it will work on Xbox series X or even mobile phones and HDD . But there will be some sacrifice on streaming the assets, when combined with RT it will be alot heavy . So expect the same resolution and frame rates on Xbox series X , 1,7 teraflop differences won't matter much. 

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
OTBWY said:
I want to see it running on the Series X cause this was 1440p 30fps with no raytracing.

It will be the same, because this playable tech are optimize using SSD's that only possible on PS5 , of course it will work on Xbox series X or even mobile phones and HDD . But there will be some sacrifice on streaming the assets, when combined with RT it will be alot heavy . So expect the same resolution and frame rates on Xbox series X , 1,7 teraflop differences won't matter much. 

are you the true legacy of ethomaz? even a 7% difference in pixelcount would have been enough to cry tears over

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
HollyGamer said:

are you the true legacy of ethomaz? even a 7% difference in pixelcount would have been enough to cry tears over

I am sorry cannot see the sarcasm, because i haven't sleep . LOL  

KLAMarine said:

Argh!!! The beginning of the demo irks me!

Why would the lady ever light that blue fire up in the beginning? For illumination? If so, why would she immediately put it out? Why would she light up when there's clear and obvious light in front of her!?

Guessing it's for the audience to go 'oooh!' 'aaah!' at the graphics and lighting!

Argh! If so, Unreal guys should work on their writing! Don't break the fourth wall like that!

If a tech demo does this to you, then what game has not bothered you? You must be close to a heart attack every time you play most games.

RolStoppable said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Now imagine a Zelda Open world like this with dungeons with statues like this.  Keep imagining , in 15 years from now on a Zelda night look like this on switch 3

Is that supposed to get me excited about the future? Here's what I am playing now:

Now imagine this in 8k. Wow.

Imagine that with touch screen controls. Now that would be impressive.

Around the Network

Anakin Skywalker would love the sand in this demo, no doubt about it.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

setsunatenshi said:
Streaming the assets from the ssd in real time... Cerny was right afterall :)

Who the hell questioned the inability of next-gen consoles to stream when current ones do it?

JRPGfan said:
Its sooooo beautifull.. and detailed!
This demo shown on a playstation 5, is so much more impressive than the "xbox series x gameplay event" where they didnt show any gameplay, just trailers with CGI.

This is what the gaming industry is clamoring for... A glimpse into what next-gen is going to be, Microsoft failed on that front sadly...

Ironically, Unreal Engine tends to be one of Microsoft's strengths historically, it's always been a better engine on their consoles and is an engine that is used by more developers than any other for AAA games, it's a really big missed opportunity on Microsofts behalf to take that narrative and run with it.

Big win for the PS5, the entire media/gaming sphere is talking about them now.

CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

With the Xbox 360 I wasn't blown away with a game until Gears of War launched.

Fair enough (though walking out from the sewers in Oblivion, seeing the boxers' skin in Fight Night, and driving through New York City in Project Gotham Racing 3 did that for me before Gears hit shelves). :P

Oblivion was my 7th gen eye opening to be honest... I was expecting something like morrowind, but instead got insane draw distances.
Granted it looks extremely dated today, it was a very impressive showcase of the Xbox 360 "hanging in" with the PC at the time.

trunkswd said:

I played Oblivion when it came out on the 360. There wasn't much to own on the console, so I put in a ton of hours into the game. The bloom or w/e it is called was a bit overkill that IMO took away from the graphics. 

Bloom was abused in allot of titles... Even the original Gears of War, towards the end of the generation developers tended to shy away from using it to excessively, which was a good thing.

JRPGfan said:

More like 1800p on XSX.
Theres like a ~18% GPU differnce between the two.... its not enough to make 1400p -> 2160p (4)K on the XSX.

Depends where the rendering bottleneck to achieving 4k is.

If you are compute bound, then sure.

Captain_Yuri said:
Probably not wrong other than the edge cases when it comes to Ps5's SSD being faster than current high-end PCs although some are close already at 5GB/s speeds:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012

By the time Ps5 comes out though... Might be another story as the upcoming SSDs are supposed to be 6.5GB/s vs 5.5GB/s on the ps5.

But the question will ultimately come down to is how much of that is gonna get used for most games?

PC you can use multiple SSD's in RAID to exceed the PS5's SSD bandwidth.... Thus you *can* have 64GB/s of SSD bandwidth with 10 Terabytes worth of storage on a PC.... The Consoles? Not so much... Although that would be prohibitively expensive, it can still be done.

But you do get diminishing returns (like anything) where the impact of a faster SSD becomes less pronounced.

The PC is also a memory rich environment, so it's reliance on storage is less of an issue.

chakkra said:
Trunkin said:

Ah, well. It's still a whole lot more feasible than I initially thought.

According to eurogamer, that demo we saw wasn't even using ray tracing. Now I'm left wondering what we even need RT for if games can look that good without it.

THANK YOU!

I´ve always thought that RT is a monumental waste of resources.

Remasters. Instead of rebuilding engines and games from scratch in a new engine... Take that old game/engine and enhance them using Ray Tracing! Then sell the games at the same price as a new title.

There are allot of benefits to Ray Tracing though, lets not kid ourselves and Unreal Engine 5 will support the technology, it's just all up to what the developers wish to achieve.

CuCabeludo said:

Raytracing is just one algorithm to simulate light. If they come with another algorithm that shows very good light simulation at a much less hardware cost, better for everyone.

Just like quick sort and bubble sort are different algos that do the same: sort numbers. But the first is much more efficient and clever than the second.

Ray Tracing also doesn't need to be applicable to everything in a game, it can be used just for a single aspect like reflections rather than a hardware based global illumination method.

A game set in a dystopian future with lots of reflective metal/wet surfaces will truly look gorgeous with Ray Tracing... But an open world game with lots of matte surfaces? Probably not so much.

HollyGamer said:

Bold claim... Especially as we aren't even aware if the SSD is the bottleneck in this instance.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Could've been better presentation, besides, the LOD renders quite fast with highest(possibly?) setting on Sony's SSD.

If only they showed some amount of vegetation, like jungle or forest.

the-pi-guy said:
KLAMarine said:

Why would the lady ever light that blue fire up in the beginning? For illumination? If so, why would she immediately put it out? Why would she light up when there's clear and obvious light in front of her!?

Guessing it's for the audience to go 'oooh!' 'aaah!' at the graphics and lighting!

Argh! If so, Unreal guys should work on their writing! Don't break the fourth wall like that!

1.) it's just a tech demo.  It's not really something that requires much story writing. 

2.) Maybe the blue light does something.  Maybe it turns bluer when she gets closer to her destination.  Maybe it turns red when she's going the wrong way.  Maybe it's red when there's monsters nearby.  

There's a huge number of possibilities, it's probably none of them, but it's seriously nothing to get irked about.  

Perchance it does do something besides illumination but I see her use it for illumination during the rest of the demo and nothing else.

Whatever, Unreal's gotta sell their engine somehow...

KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

If a tech demo does this to you, then what game has not bothered you? You must be close to a heart attack every time you play most games.

The fact that this is a tech demo is partially why this irks me so. I think it's safe to say that Unreal wants to sell their engine and thus the writing can come off as transparent when it shows actions and lighting during moments the writing may not call for it.

If I saw this in the middle of a game during regular play, I'd just think it odd and move on.

Pemalite said:
setsunatenshi said:
Streaming the assets from the ssd in real time... Cerny was right afterall :)

Who the hell questioned the inability of next-gen consoles to stream when current ones do it?

A lot of people online. The down play of how much of an impact the orders of magnitude increase in i/o speeds would have to the game's performance was something to behold.