By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

RolStoppable said:
eva01beserk said:

Where we watching the same event? I was watchimg on my phone at 720p hiding in the bathroom at work and still was blown away.

If you think halo will push more consoles than Spider-Man you are out your mind. Granted this might be some kind of expansion as far as we know. We need more info. 

Spiderman is an expansion, that's how the game could be completed in two years.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Forza 8 and Halo Infinite will run on Xbox One, Xbox One X, PC, and Xbox Series X. Those aren't going to move units, because everybody interested in those games has hardware to play those games already. Because of the ability to play these games on such a wide array of hardware MS effectively has nothing for launch. Sony doesn't even need to have Spiderman to beat MS in the launch lineup department, because MS set the bar so insanely low. TLoU2 and GoT ports is all it takes to match MS's sad launch offerings here. The fact that Sony has anything new for launch at all puts MS in a bad position.

What even are the sales number for Halo 5, and Forza Horizon 4 (The last two games in these series)? Did they even top 5 Million each?

Your post is incredibly biased. Microsoft has new entries of big IPs in the works for this holiday season, but you call them nothing while at the same time you say ports of old Sony games would be something. Spiderman for the PS4 was released in September 2018, so you should figure that Morales is a quickly put together expansion for the PS5 launch.

It's likely that Halo Infinite will be developed as two separate versions (just like Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox 360 and Xbox One six years ago), so the one for Series X won't be held back by old hardware. We have yet to see the actual game, so we can't tell yet if HI will be more of Halo 5 or a return to form. I'll just remind people that Zelda sold only ~3.5m with Skyward Sword and Sony fans were completely convinced that Breath of the Wild couldn't be a system seller even after they had already seen it in elaborate action. Similar to Halo, Forza (the main series, not the Horizon spinoff that isn't relevant here) was on a downward trend, but this time around Microsoft is giving the development team more time than the previously stubborn two-year-rhythm.

But more important than exclusives is which console will become the choice for multiplats. That in and of itself would be the huge change that you had ruled out since the moment you started this thread. The PS4 was clearly the console of choice for multiplats in the previous gen, but the PS5 isn't looking like it can follow that path. Its only saving grace in recent weeks was its ultra fast SSD, but Sony's event did nothing to demonstrate an advantage in multiplatform games. Microsoft, however, can have multiplats run at higher fidelity and the pixel and special effects counters of Digital Foundry will probably find that the XSX versions of multiplats are superior.

At this point it's more or less just a matter of Microsoft getting the pricing of their console right. Sony is playing the waiting game because they probably realize that they are in a difficult spot. Microsoft could end the waiting game by simply announcing a conditional price for their XSX: "Whatever the PS5 will cost, that's what the XSX will cost too."

So you call someone biased then proceed to make a comment that can only be classified as damage control. amazing. 

Only thing I can say is that sony dint reveal any release dates some did say holliday 2020. So we still dont know whats gona be day one to really say whos got a better launch line up. We also dont have the xbox reveal, we dont even know a single thing about halo wich you yourself say yet make asumptions that it can be 2 separate versions being worked in unison while spider man is just an expansion(wich I say it very well could be). You ignored the vast amount of games that are exclusives and some very big ones at that. I mean theres not much to say, just lets wait until the xbox show.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Odd thread.. This gen, competition was low due to slip ups on the WiiU and the XB1.

Xbox spent most of their years restructuring there business model example: Game Pass, Backwards Compatibility and Building and buying Studios.

Nintendo short lived the WiiU due to its failed attempt on the market and moved to the more successful Switch and right now are on fire.

Next gen both Nintendo and Xbox are in a much better light to the public and if they both bring the games next gen than its going to be a debatable argument which console to buy. Minority will buy both or all three however majority will be in talks. You will have your flag wavers and hardcore gamers sticking to their brands but I cannot see people not being tempted in looking at the next Xbox or next Nintendo consoles.. it was a lot easier this gen as Xbox has been holding out on games while Nintendo had to quickly recover and re-enter the market which again are taking it by storm.

Of course its a "Will wait and see" approach but as it stands, all brands have key strengths and if all three brands bring quality games to the table than expect a closer sales comparisons.

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

What are these new entries of big IPs? I'm not saying ports of PS4 games would be something. I'm just saying that if Series X only launches with games that can also be played on PC,XB1, and XB1X, then PS5 launching in a similar state matches that. Having two games that aren't really exclusives = having two games that aren't really exclusives.

Oh yes, I fully expect Miles to be something akin to Uncharted Lost Legacy, or Majora's Mask. But I'll take that over the jack-all that MS has.

I wasn't referring to old hardware holding Halo Infinite back. We haven't seen Halo Infinite yet though. Only a fool would have watched the 2017 E3 Demo and thought BotW wasn't going to be good. Even if it did somehow become an amazing BotW style return to form for the series, it's going to be on two platforms in addition to Series X. Forza is little more than a yearly sports franchise that is also available on PC. If Sony fans were scraping the bottom of the barrel this hard for ammo, they'd be touting MLB the Show. Luckily, they're not that desperate. And don't come at me with how Forza has better reviews than MLB. A yearly racing or sports franchise with good reviews is a yearly racing or sports franchise with good reviews.

Can you give an example of a console winning a generation solely by having better graphics in 3rd party titles? There's no historical precedent for your "best place to play 3rd party games" argument.

Edit: Just found out TLoU2 has reviews of 96. Here you are speculating on how Halo Infinite could be a game of this caliber, while Sony actually releases one.

Halo Infinite and Forza 8, those are the new entries in big IPs. I see that the problem is that you use your personal opinion to judge the value of a game, hence why Halo and Forza are nothing in your eyes. Hence why Forza is a yearly racing franchise to you despite Forza and Forza Horizon not being the same thing.

Your twist of words (bolded) is weak. It's only since the PS3 vs. 360 generation that multiplats have mattered to such a high degree, because in all previous generations exclusive software was more important, meaning the bestsellers were exclusives. Since then we've had the 360 benefit big time from being the better console for multiplats, the PS4 benefited too, so it's a given that the performance of multiplatform games will matter a lot as well between the PS5 and XSX. You framed the blatantly obvious as better multiplats being the only thing that matters, but a straw man argument will do you no good here.

TLoU2 is a PS4 game, not a PS5 game. Ask yourself when Sony will be able to release another game of that caliber. Gran Turismo 7 got no 2021 release window. Horizon 2: Forbidden West didn't get a 2021 release window either. That's why Sony's PS5 event has pretty much been as favorable as it could be for Microsoft. Sony couldn't demonstrate any tangible advantages of their SSD, neither could Sony show that they'll have big games ready anytime soon. Look at those release dates:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9164488

Forza being a yearly franchise isn't my opinion it's a fact. My criticism of Halo Infinite has nothing to do with my opinion on current gen Halo games. Hell, I don't even have an opinion on current gen Halo games. If Halo Infinite were exclusive to Series X or at least exclusive to Series X and PC, I'd agree that it would be a killer app. 

There's nothing to show that multiplats have ever mattered to a high degree in the manner you are talking about. It's based on nothing more than analyst assumptions. Marketshare increases and decreases are far easier explained by console prices, and exclusives. The 2017 launch of XB1X as "the best place to play multiplats", and then failing to help XB1 sales in any significant manner refutes your multiplats argument anyway. Your argument that Halo Infinite and Forza 8 will be killer apps has been refuted multiple times already. So that leaves your argument as simply "Series X will be the best place to play for multiplats!" So I'm not strawmanning you. Just addressing what's left of your bad argument after the first half has been refuted. 

TLoU2 is a PS4 game, not a PS5 game. 

Do you have a source from that? Or are you speculating? How do you know TLoU2 isn't getting a PS5 port? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
RolStoppable said:

Halo Infinite and Forza 8, those are the new entries in big IPs. I see that the problem is that you use your personal opinion to judge the value of a game, hence why Halo and Forza are nothing in your eyes. Hence why Forza is a yearly racing franchise to you despite Forza and Forza Horizon not being the same thing.

Your twist of words (bolded) is weak. It's only since the PS3 vs. 360 generation that multiplats have mattered to such a high degree, because in all previous generations exclusive software was more important, meaning the bestsellers were exclusives. Since then we've had the 360 benefit big time from being the better console for multiplats, the PS4 benefited too, so it's a given that the performance of multiplatform games will matter a lot as well between the PS5 and XSX. You framed the blatantly obvious as better multiplats being the only thing that matters, but a straw man argument will do you no good here.

TLoU2 is a PS4 game, not a PS5 game. Ask yourself when Sony will be able to release another game of that caliber. Gran Turismo 7 got no 2021 release window. Horizon 2: Forbidden West didn't get a 2021 release window either. That's why Sony's PS5 event has pretty much been as favorable as it could be for Microsoft. Sony couldn't demonstrate any tangible advantages of their SSD, neither could Sony show that they'll have big games ready anytime soon. Look at those release dates:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9164488

Forza being a yearly franchise isn't my opinion it's a fact. My criticism of Halo Infinite has nothing to do with my opinion on current gen Halo games. Hell, I don't even have an opinion on current gen Halo games. If Halo Infinite were exclusive to Series X or at least exclusive to Series X and PC, I'd agree that it would be a killer app. 

There's nothing to show that multiplats have ever mattered to a high degree in the manner you are talking about. It's based on nothing more than analyst assumptions. Marketshare increases and decreases are far easier explained by console prices, and exclusives. The 2017 launch of XB1X as "the best place to play multiplats", and then failing to help XB1 sales in any significant manner refutes your multiplats argument anyway. Your argument that Halo Infinite and Forza 8 will be killer apps has been refuted multiple times already. So that leaves your argument as simply "Series X will be the best place to play for multiplats!" So I'm not strawmanning you. Just addressing what's left of your bad argument after the first half has been refuted. 

Do you have a source from that? Or are you speculating? How do you know TLoU2 isn't getting a PS5 port? 

that would mean the level design isn't based on the ssd, thus a ps4 game with ps5 looks

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Cerebralbore101 said:

"Huge changes are required"

".. Nintendo .. had to massively change their strategies with the Switch"

If Switch negatively effects PS5 sales in Japan then that will change the sales ratio WW for PS5/XSX.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

That is why they call it a switch. You play games on it and switch to xbox/ps4.

Snoopy said:
That is why they call it a switch. You play games on it and switch to xbox/ps4.

Even in the US, there are far more people who buy switch than XBOX.

The Xbox brand is in a tenuous place right now.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0vphbfj,%2Fm%2F0130pygf,XBOX%20series%20X

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 12 June 2020

Forza is not a yearly franchise. Was there a Forza game last year? Nope, didn't see it. Is Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport two very different games? Yep. Has it been 3 years since Forza Motorsport 7 released? Yes it has. Did I see how excited people got when Grande Turismo 7 was announced? Sure did. I can bet you we will get a similar reaction for FM8. You're downplay of both Halo Infinite and Forza 8 is laughably bad. Both games are gonna bring the Hype. People want to see how Forza looks for next gen and we already know Halo Infinite will be gorgeous based on what we've seen of the Slipspace engine. We saw how Zelda Breath of the Wild pushed Switch sales. Halo has that same selling power whether you want to believe it or not. Have you not considered all the gamers that went from 360 to ps4? They see Halo Infinite is a launch title, and the Series X is more powerful and (probably) same price as ps5. It may be enough for them to jump ship. Gamers are a fickle bunch. 

There is a big difference releasing a more powerful console at the beginning of a gen vs a mid-gen refresh. It sets the tone for the rest of the generation. Multiplatform games performance absolutely matter, especially when multiplatform games are 95%+ of console sales for Xbox and playstation. Look at the beginning of this gen. Gamers heard ps4 is more power and cheaper than xbox one. Easy sales. It doesn't even matter if the exclusives are bad because these people want to play COD, Madden, NBA2k, etc. They just want to play it on the best system. 

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said: 

I am going to list the points in order of importance in the PS5 vs. XSX battle:

1. Price
2. Performance of multiplat games
3. Regional preference/bias
4. Exclusives

It's looking very, very likely that Microsoft has secured point 2 (I doubt that third parties will prefer shorter loading times above higher fidelity, because better graphics has always been an easier selling point for games), but that wouldn't mean much if they can't nail the price. The XSX's performance advantage won't be worth an extra $100 to consumers, that's certain. Point 3 is something that is pretty much set and that neither company can change with a lot of help from the other company; Microsoft can count on an advantage in the USA and the UK if they cover point 1 and 2, Sony can count on the rest of the world. Exclusives can provide an extra edge, but most of the bestselling games on PS and Xbox consoles are multiplats.

In any case, if Microsoft gets point 1 and 2 right, then your thread is going to faceplant hard. I hope everyone realizes that point 1 and 2 aren't particularly difficult things to get right; they don't require any special skills or talent, but are rather just about providing powerful hardware at a good price. It's something that Microsoft failed at spectacularly in the previous generation, but it's usually the biggest mistakes that console manufacturers try to correct the most with their follow-up console.

Nintendo had 1 and 2, and hell, even 4 sometimes with the GameCube, and tell me how that turned out Rol. You are old enough to remember the $99 price cut, and I won't accept this retroactive narrative that a 2D Mario title or whatever was missing back then, because we have the Wii U to fill in most of these.

So far, from internet and social media statistics, search engine trends, reception and sales of current consoles and games etc. there is no reason to believe the next gen won't be a repeat of this one, or even more lopsided in Sony's favor. None whatsoever.

To try to gauge a hypothetical reason as to why you think that would be different is based, at best, in a number of extremely dubious and imprecise factors. As to everything else, there's no magic formula that guarantees success, except perhaps for success itself.

haxxiy said:
RolStoppable said:

I am going to list the points in order of importance in the PS5 vs. XSX battle:

1. Price
2. Performance of multiplat games
3. Regional preference/bias
4. Exclusives

It's looking very, very likely that Microsoft has secured point 2 (I doubt that third parties will prefer shorter loading times above higher fidelity, because better graphics has always been an easier selling point for games), but that wouldn't mean much if they can't nail the price. The XSX's performance advantage won't be worth an extra $100 to consumers, that's certain. Point 3 is something that is pretty much set and that neither company can change with a lot of help from the other company; Microsoft can count on an advantage in the USA and the UK if they cover point 1 and 2, Sony can count on the rest of the world. Exclusives can provide an extra edge, but most of the bestselling games on PS and Xbox consoles are multiplats.

In any case, if Microsoft gets point 1 and 2 right, then your thread is going to faceplant hard. I hope everyone realizes that point 1 and 2 aren't particularly difficult things to get right; they don't require any special skills or talent, but are rather just about providing powerful hardware at a good price. It's something that Microsoft failed at spectacularly in the previous generation, but it's usually the biggest mistakes that console manufacturers try to correct the most with their follow-up console.

Nintendo had 1 and 2, and hell, even 4 sometimes with the GameCube, and tell me how that turned out Rol. You are old enough to remember the $99 price cut, and I won't accept this retroactive narrative that a 2D Mario title or whatever was missing back then, because we have the Wii U to fill in most of these.

So far, from internet and social media statistics, search engine trends, reception and sales of current consoles and games etc. there is no reason to believe the next gen won't be a repeat of this one, or even more lopsided in Sony's favor. None whatsoever.

To try to gauge a hypothetical reason as to why you think that would be different is based, at best, in a number of extremely dubious and imprecise factors. As to everything else, there's no magic formula that guarantees success, except perhaps for success itself.

The macroeconomics and competitive scenario is different. Ps4 no have real contenders(direct or indirect). PS5 have the economics downhill, Switch for the beginning. Each generation is a new game.