By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Probably TLOU2 being improved on PS5 would already be enough to counter Halo 6 crossgen. But Sony haven't revealed almost nothing yet, so you can rest knowing they most likely will have something that will review and sell better than Halo 6.

Do you think it will be a launch title? Because that’s really what I’m referring to. I know it’s coming, but this year is too soon imo, didn’t the first remaster come a year later?

Took something between 6 and 12 months from memory.

But this time with BC TLOU2 is already available to PS5 on launch, and sure considering they saw how much extra sales the port got for the first they may be doing the patch for PS5 for a long time already.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Man, the mental gymnastics in this thread are Olympian

Couldn't agree more.

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

So your preferences say halo will be better? Even though no more than a cg trailers has been release. But I cant argue against someones preference. 

Only established big game that we know is in development that could come is horizon 2. Dosent mean something we dont know off could still come. Considering also that Sony has better third party connections specially japannese studios. But even then, dint horizon sold way better than halo 5? And it was also well more critically aclaimed. So if it ended up with halo vs horizon I would put my money on horizon based on recent history.

Does MS launch with their best? What did the x1 launch with? Arent you one of the main ones saying launch games arent good? If so does that mean it's all down hill after halo infinite? 

Shikamaru said it very well. Just because Halo is in decline doesn’t mean it’s still not a huge franchise. Halo 4 and 5 have great metascores. I really wouldn’t talk dismissively about Halo as Halo 5 was only on one platform and to this day has a healthy multiplayer community.  Halo Infinite will be on 3 platforms, will have heavy marketing condensed in the final months of the year, limited edition bundle, and boosted with Game Pass. It’s gonna pull amazing numbers that, if played right will reach more people then even Halo 3. With 5 years, it’s really hard to rush and mess up the game. 

To be clear my stance is that next gen launch exclusives don’t score well. Forza 5 is a worst reviewed entry so it’s not just PS examples. Cross gen launch titles tend to score higher historically. I’d say saving Halo Infinite for the launch breaks tradition because they need to start on the right foot this time more then ever. 

Halo infinite will definetly sell better than 5. Mostly because of it being of 3 platforms and being a launch title. Sais nothing about it potential quality. It's definetly still a big franchise but framchises need a brake. Ms should really give their studios a little creative brake and let them make some passion project. Their ips will get a brake and they might pick some tips along the way. 

Your stance has been clear fornanyone to see. Double standarts are easy to see. Would I have time I would dig up old post showing your goalpost moving. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

So you are basically saying that MS will expand the market. Care to give a reason? As nothing suggest at the moment that will happen. Things could change after their first party line up is anounced. But as it stands it looks like MS is exiting the console space for cloud services

Question...why does it have to be one or the other? Why is it so hard to think that MS is invested in both? If the rumours are true that there is a second budget console in the works...I could technically say MS has more commitment to consoles then Sony.

But nevermind that, let’s look at this rationally. It’s no secret they pushing Game Pass. PC can’t pull all the weight...the consoles are the primary gateway to more subs. When you think about it like that, consoles are absolutely essential to Xbox. 

Again, MS can and are doing both. 

They dedinetly could. But thouse arw contradictory approaches. If they focus on cloud and gamepass and multi platform their focus on games will dictate that they program for the lowest coming denominator. That will mean games will be smaller level. It wont nececitate hardware and pretty much discourages it. A series s will be pointless as everyone would have acces to lower level machines being supported. 

Can they release more big games nececitating hardware? Sure they can. Im pretty sure their halos and gears will need something at least series s level. This is why I'm still waiting on more first party games. But they cannot do both as if a lot of big games show up that lower spec users run like garbage then subs will decline. If they make a lot of games that could be runes anywhere to improve subs high spec console users will feel they dont need the hardware. Can they make what they promises and yearlie pump 4 AAA and a bunch of A-AA? I highly would not think so. Still possible though. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Cerebralbore101 said:

All those bolded games being hyped up remind me so much of the Vita's 1st party lineup being hyped up. Games I had never heard of, games from studios without much of a good track record. Games that would also be available on another platform (PS4 in Vita's case, PC in XB2's case). I remember arguing with Sony hardcores over whether or not Vita would have a lineup to compete with 3DS. They continually grasped at straws, pinning their hopes on the most unknown, unproven studios. Here we see the same thing. History repeats itself I guess. 

How can you say Playground, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double fine, and Inxile don't have a good track record? Most of those studios have been around for years with a proven track record of making great games. The Initiative is a brand new studio comprised of talented devs from all over. Maybe you should do a little research. Chances of their game being bad or mediocre is slim. MS has already established Xbox/PC is where they are releasing all their games. If you are trying to use this as a negative or why series X won't sell well, then I'm sorry but it's not going to be the reason. Vita's problem was, why would someone buy one when they can buy a more powerful ps4, with better games. Vita also had other problems to why it didn't sell well. The majority of console owners play only on consoles. Then throw in the fact, series X is comparable to a high-end PC, most gamers don't have a PC on the Series X level of performance. 

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Shikamaru said it very well. Just because Halo is in decline doesn’t mean it’s still not a huge franchise. Halo 4 and 5 have great metascores. I really wouldn’t talk dismissively about Halo as Halo 5 was only on one platform and to this day has a healthy multiplayer community.  Halo Infinite will be on 3 platforms, will have heavy marketing condensed in the final months of the year, limited edition bundle, and boosted with Game Pass. It’s gonna pull amazing numbers that, if played right will reach more people then even Halo 3. With 5 years, it’s really hard to rush and mess up the game. 

To be clear my stance is that next gen launch exclusives don’t score well. Forza 5 is a worst reviewed entry so it’s not just PS examples. Cross gen launch titles tend to score higher historically. I’d say saving Halo Infinite for the launch breaks tradition because they need to start on the right foot this time more then ever. 

Halo infinite will definetly sell better than 5. Mostly because of it being of 3 platforms and being a launch title. Sais nothing about it potential quality. It's definetly still a big franchise but framchises need a brake. Ms should really give their studios a little creative brake and let them make some passion project. Their ips will get a brake and they might pick some tips along the way. 

Your stance has been clear fornanyone to see. Double standarts are easy to see. Would I have time I would dig up old post showing your goalpost moving. 

Halo Infinite has been in development for 5 years. I would consider that a break. Turn 10/playground are given extra time to work on their games. Their is a reason a Forza game didn't release last year.  Bleeding edge just released as a passion project from a small team and so will Grounded from Obsidian. MS has been very open about not rushing their games out and giving more development freedom. 

sales2099 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Not only me, but the  EPIC's CEO seems to have the same idea.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnchantingFitArugulaBIRB

That just means it’s more likely for PS5 to generate more money for developers with the current install base upgrading. Doesn’t mean it’s easier to develop for, nor has a higher ceiling then Xbox.  

Huh ?

He didn't say such a thing.
What does it have to do with your interpretation?

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Ah the ol console wars retreat, paving the way for an endless cycle of war of ideas. I said so many things and you just mentally block it out and say it’s revisionism....that’s weak. Bet you won’t even bother to see their studios and what they got cooking, you prefer to just live in the past. It’s literally the first page of Xbox Empire on here! Lol 

Sorry but the gamers push the power narrative onto Sony...why you think Sony put their name on the Unreal 5 demo??? Because the power narrative matters and they are giving their fans what they want: that juicy narrative kept from 2006-2017. So don’t complain when MS takes it away but “oh no, I don’t like the way they market it”. It’s a double standard, plain and simple. 

Lately, I really enjoyed Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5. Two solid games under their helm. Sea of Thieves has truly turned into something special with constant updates and a following more dedicated since the N64 days. Outer Worlds is a promising new IP and while not officially under MS, they did own Obsidian when the game released and own the rights going forward. Not all doom and gloom. 

You right in that exclusives do have their place, I await your reaction come July. And I don’t think Sony has anything that can touch Halo Infinite at launch. 

Probably TLOU2 being improved on PS5 would already be enough to counter Halo 6 crossgen. But Sony haven't revealed almost nothing yet, so you can rest knowing they most likely will have something that will review and sell better than Halo 6.

Yeah, people are acting like Halo 6 won't be on XB1, and XB1X. All Sony needs to do to counter that is have next gen versions of TLoU2, and GoT for PS5.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC is a factual claim. Sony's launch lineup looking pale compared to Xbox's is a subjective claim. This is from the guy that wrote a scathing review of Xenoblade 2 without even making it to the end credits. His personal opinion on the quality of games is a joke. His factual claims on the other hand are almost always right. A Jason S. rumor almost always turns out to be true, so long as it deals in fact, and not opinion. 

I was not referring to Jason Schreier though as he wasn't the first to come up with HZD claim. As for the rumour itself, it doesn't seem impossible to be true judging by the info we have. MS already presumably has at least 4 games in their launch line up (Halo:Infinite, The Ascent, The Medium, Scorn). Sony has 0.

This sounds like the XB1's launch lineup. Forza, some shooter game I've never heard of, Dead Rising 3, Rise Son of Rome, and KI (which launched really lackluster, despite eventually becoming a fantastic fighting game.)

Halo Infinite will be great, but also on XB1 and PC.

RolStoppable said:

The thread title made me search for more information regarding huge change because I remembered that Sony had undergone changes in leadership rather recently. Here's a link to an article with an overview:

https://gamerant.com/sony-playstation-departures-shawn-layden-shuhei-yoshida/

Changes in leadership don't show in products immediately. In the cyclical console business, they usually materialize only once a new console is being launched. Shawn Layden's departure is the most interesting because it was sudden and because he was one of the most important people at SIE. While the following article is a lot about hearsay (which you can read, but I won't touch on in this post), the summary of Jim Ryan's decisions that are out in the open is plain fact:

https://gamedaily.biz/article/1256/shawn-layden-departs-sony-amid-restructuring-confusion-and-potential-power-struggle

Ryan is putting a much higher emphasis on game-streaming than Layden did (new PS Now pricing, additions to the catalogue of PS Now). More recently (after the article had been published), Sony confirmed that Horizon: Zero Dawn will release on the PC, a significant change to their previous policy of keeping exclusives as exclusives. Basically, Ryan's vision for the future aligns closer with where Microsoft is going than were Layden wanted to go.

Both streaming and non-exclusivity are generally regarded as stupid things, so it's possible that more stupidity is underway. We won't know the exact philosophy behind the PS5 until it gets properly unveiled.

In any case, when trying to predict what is going to happen with new consoles, you don't look at the sales performance of current consoles, but rather at what the executives are up to and where they want to go. It wasn't even 3.5 years ago that people predicted Switch lifetime sales based on Wii U sales because they were (willfully) ignorant of the fact that Nintendo's NX was always meant to unite Nintendo's hardware and software development resources.

Look at what Sony and Microsoft have been up to recently and how that has changed to a generation ago.

Microsoft: Several acquisitions to expand the size of Xbox Game Studios, an emphasis on a more gamer-centric message with XSX. That may not seem like much, but the arrow is pointing up for them. They can still botch their price and SKU strategy (the rumored Lockhart raises concerns), but they have a good basis so far.

Sony: More emphasis on streaming, willingness to give up exclusivity of first party games, censorship of Japanese third party games for the Japanese market and the rest of the world, a couple of acquisitions to expand PlayStation Studios. In the sum, the arrow is pointing down compared to a generation ago.

Of course it's much easier for Microsoft to do better this time around because they have a low bar to overcome, unlike Sony. Nevertheless, predicting the same outcome for a new generation is just about the silliest thing one can do, because no generation has played out exactly like the preceding one. Even worse when you start predicting before all the consoles have been properly unveiled. Price, overall strategy, launch window lineup, these are all important things to know.

Non-exclusivity is definitely a stupid thing. I think Sony will eventually have all their games coming to PC three years from each game's PS5 launch. So if we get GoW2 in 2021, then it comes to PC in 2024. Horizon 2 in 2022, goes to PC in 2025, and so on, and so forth. But that will take some time for them to implement, and for consumers to figure out. That also goes against your idea that exclusives just plain don't matter. As far as Sony wanting to make PSN more like Gamepass, though that's a good thing. Gamepass doesn't really have the numbers to back up the idea that it's a killer-app, but that doesn't mean that Sony shouldn't copy it.

smroadkill15 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

All those bolded games being hyped up remind me so much of the Vita's 1st party lineup being hyped up. Games I had never heard of, games from studios without much of a good track record. Games that would also be available on another platform (PS4 in Vita's case, PC in XB2's case). I remember arguing with Sony hardcores over whether or not Vita would have a lineup to compete with 3DS. They continually grasped at straws, pinning their hopes on the most unknown, unproven studios. Here we see the same thing. History repeats itself I guess. 

How can you say Playground, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double fine, and Inxile don't have a good track record? Most of those studios have been around for years with a proven track record of making great games. The Initiative is a brand new studio comprised of talented devs from all over. Maybe you should do a little research. Chances of their game being bad or mediocre is slim. MS has already established Xbox/PC is where they are releasing all their games. If you are trying to use this as a negative or why series X won't sell well, then I'm sorry but it's not going to be the reason. Vita's problem was, why would someone buy one when they can buy a more powerful ps4, with better games. Vita also had other problems to why it didn't sell well. The majority of console owners play only on consoles. Then throw in the fact, series X is comparable to a high-end PC, most gamers don't have a PC on the Series X level of performance. 

I went into this with my previous response to Shikamaru. I wasn't talking about Playground, Obsidian, or Ninja Theory, with the post you quoted. At least not in regards to them being unproven studios.

Doublefine's last critically acclaimed game was Brutal Legend in 2009. No, we aren't counting remasters here. Before that it was Psychonauts in 2005.

I really think you ought to look at InXile's previous games. They've made more mediocre to bad games than they've made good games. I'd call them a coin flip of a developer. Take any game they release, and flip a coin. That's the odds that it'll be a critically acclaimed game.

smroadkill15 said:
eva01beserk said:

Halo Infinite has been in development for 5 years. I would consider that a break. Turn 10/playground are given extra time to work on their games. Their is a reason a Forza game didn't release last year.  Bleeding edge just released as a passion project from a small team and so will Grounded from Obsidian. MS has been very open about not rushing their games out and giving more development freedom. 

Giving devs more time is not creative freedom or a brake. The forza halo gears teams must have nightmares dreaming of doing the same thing monotuously. Its always the same game for them. Bleeding edge and grounded where both in development before MS bought them. But as soon as MS acquired ninja theory guess what, more hellblade. A new caged hamster on a wheal. 

eva01beserk said:
Pok87 said:

I didn't say that both consoles will sell better. The console market will expand, but the PS5 will sell slightly worse than the PS4, while the new Xbox will sell much better than the Xbox One.

So you are basically saying that MS will expand the market. Care to give a reason? As nothing suggest at the moment that will happen. Things could change after their first party line up is anounced. But as it stands it looks like MS is exiting the console space for cloud services. 

There are several reasons:

- more and better exclusive games
- Gamepass
- similar console price at the start (Xbox One was 100$ more expensive than PS4)
- Xbox will no longer be a weaker console
- better marketing

Ps5 will still sell better, but the difference will not be so colossal.