By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD's most important product ever - Ryzen 9 4900HS

Bofferbrauer2 said:

What do you need your Laptop for? If you're only working on your Laptop and not use it for PC gaming, a Ryzen U series should suffice. After all, a Ryzen 7 4700U crushes both the i7 10710U and the Ice Lake based 1065G7, and even keeps up with the 9750H in some tasks:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3541009/ryzen-7-4700u-review-amds-budget-8-core-crushes-intels-10th-gen-chips-again.html

Keep in mind that the Laptop with the 4700U here is a bidget model which only costs $650, while it's competitors cost about twice as much. Tiger Lake really can't come soon enough for Intel, both on Desktop and Laptop.

Minutes after you posted this, one of the youtubers I follow post a whole video review if the same product:

I think I am gonna buy this one as a gift and wait few more weeks to get a bigger selection of more AMD power laptops. Exciting times though.

If I have one complaint, it's how all these companies use weird ass naming schemes only to change them few years later, and I just get absolutely frustrated searching what every letter before after the numbers mean. Just call what it is and spare us the needless confusion.

What happened to the Core i7 X700hq series? Is it still a thing? I remember buying a laptop as a gift that had the 7700hq and it was all the rage back then.

Around the Network

Ryzen 4000 looks darn impressive. Seems as though AMD has finally found their stride and just keep making all the right moves. Finally think it may be time to upgrade my AMD Athlon dual core 17" laptop. It struggles just to play YouTube vids at 720p/60 or 1080p/30. A cool n quiet Ryzen 4000 laptop would sure be nice, along with more than a few hours battery life.

LurkerJ said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

What do you need your Laptop for? If you're only working on your Laptop and not use it for PC gaming, a Ryzen U series should suffice. After all, a Ryzen 7 4700U crushes both the i7 10710U and the Ice Lake based 1065G7, and even keeps up with the 9750H in some tasks:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3541009/ryzen-7-4700u-review-amds-budget-8-core-crushes-intels-10th-gen-chips-again.html

Keep in mind that the Laptop with the 4700U here is a bidget model which only costs $650, while it's competitors cost about twice as much. Tiger Lake really can't come soon enough for Intel, both on Desktop and Laptop.

Minutes after you posted this, one of the youtubers I follow post a whole video review if the same product:

I think I am gonna buy this one as a gift and wait few more weeks to get a bigger selection of more AMD power laptops. Exciting times though.

If I have one complaint, it's how all these companies use weird ass naming schemes only to change them few years later, and I just get absolutely frustrated searching what every letter before after the numbers mean. Just call what it is and spare us the needless confusion.

What happened to the Core i7 X700hq series? Is it still a thing? I remember buying a laptop as a gift that had the 7700hq and it was all the rage back then.

The 7700HQ  was the last one of that line. The reason is because the Q stands for Quadcore and the top i7 chips after that one had 6 cores, it just didn't make sense anymore.

Speaking of which, I got a 7700HQ, and it gets destroyed by the 4700U

EricHiggin said:
Ryzen 4000 looks darn impressive. Seems as though AMD has finally found their stride and just keep making all the right moves. Finally think it may be time to upgrade my AMD Athlon dual core 17" laptop. It struggles just to play YouTube vids at 720p/60 or 1080p/30. A cool n quiet Ryzen 4000 laptop would sure be nice, along with more than a few hours battery life.

You are in the same boat as me then. My amd A10-7300 is way past its limit. Battery no longer last even an hour. I waiting for a nice 2in1 with hopefully a 4800u. I think a 4700u is already anounced, but I really want that one higher tier.

Also I have to say, I have been extremely satisfied with My lenovo. Had no issues at all with this 5 year laptop. Im sure build quality has just improved with all manufactuers, but my previous ones from hp and dell dint last a year without something happening. Or maybe Im just older and treat my equipment better. Either way, im inclined to go with lenovo again. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Lenovo recently put up the IdeaPad 5 for order with some amazing customisation options. With the right parts and stacked discounts you could get a Ryzen 7 4800u, 16GB RAM, metal chassis, 70Wh battery and 100% sRGB screen for ~£550, but they've recently removed or ran out of stock of some of the items.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/gbeducation/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5-15ARE05/p/88IPS501393

Deal may be better in mainland Europe with more option available still.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Lenovo recently put up the IdeaPad 5 for order with some amazing customisation options. With the right parts and stacked discounts you could get a Ryzen 7 4800u, 16GB RAM, metal chassis, 70Wh battery and 100% sRGB screen for ~£550, but they've recently removed or ran out of stock of some of the items.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/gbeducation/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5-15ARE05/p/88IPS501393

I need a loging? tthat sucks. but that sounds like just what im looking for.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The 7700HQ  was the last one of that line. The reason is because the Q stands for Quadcore and the top i7 chips after that one had 6 cores, it just didn't make sense anymore.

Speaking of which, I got a 7700HQ, and it gets destroyed by the 4700U

Bold: what's the 6 core-based successor called?

Underline: wait, WAT. How is that even possible? Isn't the 4700U a 15W chip and the 7700 is a 45w chip? What am I missing?

Captain_Yuri said:
The only sad part is that we won't see the fap worthy laptops have this until next year. 

Is that an assumption? If not, why is that the case?

brendude13 said:

Found a good recent review on the laptop you mentioned. 

Captain_Yuri said:

Next year is gonna be one hell of a year though with Ryzen 4000 cpus + Nvidia 3000 gpus

I know many will roll their eyes, but I am quiet excited about ARM-based Macbooks, which will probably get a taste of next year. A lot of questions will be answered. It's not just Apple that wants to expand their software support to ARM processors, even MS is still trying to make ARM-based computers, so I am interested in seeing where this is gonna go.