By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD's most important product ever - Ryzen 9 4900HS

eva01beserk said:
Captain_Yuri said:

That's what most reviewers are saying which by the looks of the line up, seems to be the case. It's mainly cause companies didn't want to take the risk of their flagships having "Unproven" AMD mobile cpus. Ryzen 3000 mobile cpus were good but nothing amazing.

Now that AMD has proven that even with their mobile cpus, they are able to kill Intel... Laptop makes will put them on all their laptops next generation.

I cant wait till next generation. My laptop is on its last legs. But honestly even if I don't get the best amd chip I know I'm still getting better performance per dollar and watt than Intel counterpart. 

What I'm thinking off is buying me a medium machine and when the good ones come out maybe give the old one to my nephew. Are we expecting Holliday? That would work out perfect.

Yea the next gen laptops are gonna be craycray. Both Ryzen 4000 + Nvidia 3000 are gonna have such low power consumption that the battery and performance gonna be fap worthy.

Most likely, we won't see the new laptops until February/March 2021 since most companies announce their plans at CES in January and then generally release it in spring.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
JRPGfan said:

Intel Core I9 10875H is a ~25day old  Intel CPU (basically brand new).
its Comet Lake, a highly binned chip at 45watts.

Cinebench R20 scores:
Intel Core I9 10875H (45w)  : Single thread score : 498 ,   Multi thread score : 2853

AMD Ryzen 7 4700U (15w) :  Single thread score : 472 ,   Multi thread score : 2647
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U (15w) :  Single thread score : 480 ,   Multi thread score : 3306
AMD Ryzen 9 4900 HS (35w) : Single thread score : 495 ,   Multi thread score : 4288

So it beats the 4700U.
Theres a 4800U thats pretty close though.
I'd say its safe to claim the 4900HS is a faster chip, at lower power consumption.

Intel has been stuck at 14nm for too long.

I didn't say that it would beat AMD. I just said that between the 7700HQ and today there lies a big gap in Intels mobile chips, even though they stayed at 14nm. The reason why this even was slightly possible is because the 7700HQ was pretty much just lazy filler. Just look at the numbers you posed for the 7700HQ and the 10875H:

7700HQ: (45w) (4c/8t): single thread score : 370   Multi thread score : 1774

10875H: (45w)  (8c/16t): Single thread score : 498  Multi thread score : 2853

That's not enough to beat AMD, not by a longshot, but still a nice increase for a chip on the same node and architecture. But like I said, that's not because the 10875H is so good, but rather because the 7700HQ was so bad that there was much room to improve.

The 7700HQ being a terrible CPU is a good explanation I guess. I feel have had an under-appreciation for how much progress was made in terms of energy efficiency in the past few years. Thanks for the comparisons and the scores, really tickles me inside to see such big differences. AMD is competing at the highest level, stoked! 

Captain_Yuri said:
LurkerJ said:

I know many will roll their eyes, but I am quiet excited about ARM-based Macbooks, which will probably get a taste of next year. A lot of questions will be answered. It's not just Apple that wants to expand their software support to ARM processors, even MS is still trying to make ARM-based computers, so I am interested in seeing where this is gonna go. 

I hope the whole ARM situation won't be a case of replacing x86 but rather, providing a cheaper alternative. Like a Macbook or Surface for the people that can't afford to spend $1000.

If Apple actually does decide to replace their entire Macbook line with ARM, I think they are giving even more reason for people and companies to not consider Macbooks over windows laptops. The whole idea of Macbook Pro is you can have both Apple's OS for their software/app development and also boot to Windows if you need access to Windows Apps. If they go all out on ARM, I think a lot of companies will say nope.

Their decisions in the past like not supporting Vulkan and maybe this rumour as well already made Valve drop support for SteamVR on Apple devices, can't imagine what's gonna happen if they do something that drastic.

It's a bumpy road, but if anyone is going to make it work, it's Apple. Not because they're special or anything, it's just because they happen to have a comprehensive line of products that, at this moment in time, that generates excitement among consumers and developers (not gaming devs for sure), from tiny watches, small mobile phones, to tablets and laptops and large desktops . Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my iPad but I don't understand all the jizz that tech bloggers throw its way each time Apple releases a software update... but hey, it's working for them (and for me as a consumer), and developers are on board, let's see how that goes. 

Apple don't make CPUs anymore, they make APUs and soon enough they will have their own 5g modems. I am personally excited to see where they're going with all of that, even if it fails. Competition is good. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 12 May 2020

LurkerJ said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I hope the whole ARM situation won't be a case of replacing x86 but rather, providing a cheaper alternative. Like a Macbook or Surface for the people that can't afford to spend $1000.

If Apple actually does decide to replace their entire Macbook line with ARM, I think they are giving even more reason for people and companies to not consider Macbooks over windows laptops. The whole idea of Macbook Pro is you can have both Apple's OS for their software/app development and also boot to Windows if you need access to Windows Apps. If they go all out on ARM, I think a lot of companies will say nope.

Their decisions in the past like not supporting Vulkan and maybe this rumour as well already made Valve drop support for SteamVR on Apple devices, can't imagine what's gonna happen if they do something that drastic.

It's a bumpy road, but if anyone is going to make it work, it's Apple. Not because they're special or anything, it's just because they happen to have a comprehensive line of products that, at this moment in time, that generates excitement among consumers and developers (not gaming devs for sure), from tiny watches, small mobile phones, to tablets and laptops and large desktops . Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my iPad but I don't understand all the jizz that tech bloggers throw its way each time Apple releases a software update... but hey, it's working for them (and for me as a consumer), and developers are on board, let's see how that goes. 

Apple don't make CPUs anymore, they make APUs and soon enough they will have their own 5g modems. I am personally excited to see where they're going with all of that, even if it fails. Competition is good. 

I don't see Apple putting the ARM Chips into their Apple Mac Pro and iMac Pro lines of Workstations anytime soon unless they put a kiloton of those into one. As in, at least 64 CPUs (32 big, 32 LITTLE) to make up for the performance differences between Intel's X86 and ARM. And that's with continuing using AMD GPUs.

In other words, they woud get too big to be worth it for the big models right now. For reference, the A13 is about 98mm2 large with just 2 big and 4LITTLE CPUs; current Intel and AMD mobile chips are around 160mm2 in size, Intel's 8 core Coffee Lake is 176mm2, Comet Lake around 202mm2 and the HCC Cascade Lake in the Mac Pro around 485mm2. So even if we remove the GPU, an A13 blown up to 64 cores would probably result into a bigger chip than the HCC Cascade Lake despite the latter being produced in 14nm while the A13 is produced in 7nm.

Another Ryzen Mobile Variant showed up in 3d Mark... AMD Ryzen 7 Extreme Edition for U series.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-Extreme-Edition-Renoir-APU-turns-up-on-3DMark-could-be-for-a-future-Microsoft-Surface-device.464859.0.html

Please put them in Surface devices MS. Do it!

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Another Ryzen Mobile Variant showed up in 3d Mark... AMD Ryzen 7 Extreme Edition for U series.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-Extreme-Edition-Renoir-APU-turns-up-on-3DMark-could-be-for-a-future-Microsoft-Surface-device.464859.0.html

Please put them in Surface devices MS. Do it!

The ones in the previous Surface Laptops were called Surface Edition. AMD possibly changed the branding to allow them to be put into other devices, too.

However, they really should have taken a different name. Extreme Edition always stays in my mind as the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, or Pentium EE, which got often ridiculed as Pentium Emergency Edition, Extinct Edition, or similar stuff (also why they shortened them off as XE instead of EE later on).

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 12 May 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
LurkerJ said:

I don't see Apple putting the ARM Chips into their Apple Mac Pro and iMac Pro lines of Workstations anytime soon unless they put a kiloton of those into one. As in, at least 64 CPUs (32 big, 32 LITTLE) to make up for the performance differences between Intel's X86 and ARM. And that's with continuing using AMD GPUs.

In other words, they woud get too big to be worth it for the big models right now. For reference, the A13 is about 98mm2 large with just 2 big and 4LITTLE CPUs; current Intel and AMD mobile chips are around 160mm2 in size, Intel's 8 core Coffee Lake is 176mm2, Comet Lake around 202mm2 and the HCC Cascade Lake in the Mac Pro around 485mm2. So even if we remove the GPU, an A13 blown up to 64 cores would probably result into a bigger chip than the HCC Cascade Lake despite the latter being produced in 14nm while the A13 is produced in 7nm.

ARM-based Air lineup and bringing back the discontinued Macbook would be a good start. 

LurkerJ said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

ARM-based Air lineup and bringing back the discontinued Macbook would be a good start. 

Yeah, the normal consumer Laptops and Macs can make the jump; I just don't expect the prosumer and professional hardware to switch to ARM anytime soon, not just due to performance, but also due to compatibility issues.

Decided to hold off for few weeks or a month. A plethora of AMD laptops are being made and lots of them will be available in May. Will definitely roll with an AMD laptop it seems.