By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast vs Original Xbox

I prefer...

Dreamcast 45 51.14%

Original Xbox 43 48.86%

Total:88

I owned both. But, ya know, Halo.....

Around the Network

I gotta give it to the Xbox because it lasted far longer than the Dreamcast which gave it a far stronger library with much more time of enjoyment. The Xbox also revolutionized online gaming with Xbox live that was clearly the best of the generation and was the most graphically capable system that was well ahead of its times. The Xbox exclusives like Halo also changed the gaming landscape as we know it today making shooters and online play huge in 2020, plus the Xbox would get alot of dreamcast ports along with a ton of 3rd Party support. While the Dreamcast did have some amazing games too like Sonic Adventure 1&2, Shenmue, and more, it was also riddled with too many outdated arcade type games that didn't really age well and even some of the best exclusives released weren't really as revolutionary as Halo.

Never owned a Dreamcast, but Dreamcast. It was the first online console, and the first console with an MMORPG. Lots of unique gems on that system that eventually got ported to other systems. I played a few, so that's how I know how good the system was.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Never owned a Dreamcast, but Dreamcast. It was the first online console, and the first console with an MMORPG. Lots of unique gems on that system that eventually got ported to other systems. I played a few, so that's how I know how good the system was.

Apple Pippin beats the Dreamcast with online connectivity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin

The Atari 2600 also had the "GameLine" cart adapter which allowed the Atari 2600 access to the internet,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameLine

Intellivision also had the PlayCable from back in 1980 which brought online access to that console.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayCable

You also had the Famicom also had a dial-up modem attachment as well and used the Family Computer Network System by Nintendo... Again. Predates the Dreamcast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Computer_Network_System

Sega Channel also existed for the Genesis... And so much more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel

There was also a 3rd party service called XBAND which allowed the SNES/Genesis to do online multiplayer gaming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBAND

Sega wasn't the first console to have online internet access, but it was one of the first semi-decent (For dial-up!) implementations until Microsoft perfected it with the Original Xbox (Broadband LAN only) and set-up the model that all other console manufacturers emulate to various degrees.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Dreamcast is a 1998 console while xbox is 2001 so obviously was more advanced tecnically speaking. But Dreamcast was so advanced for its age, with its 3d arcade perfect ports, original games, 2d beatemups, online games, the mini VMU with its minigames.. It really was a dream machine!

Dreamcast kept its charm even when ps2 launched and even today with its strong personality.

For me Dreamcast, absolutely.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 03 May 2020

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

From a graphics/horsepower perspective, the Original Xbox was the most powerful console of it's generation and was giving the console gaming world a small taste of programmable pixel shading that would become defacto during the 7th gen.

Often I hear that the OG Xbox is the "Spiritual Successor" to Dreamcast, but find that to be pretty far removed, they are IP's that are owned by completely different companies even to this day.

From a hardware perspective...
Xbox used: Intel x86 processor, nVidia Geforce 3 Hybrid GPU, Mechanical HDD, 64MB of RAM.
Dreamcast used: Hitachi MIPS CPU, PowerVR, 26MB of various memory pools of RAM.

Completely different.

The OS side gets a little more interesting, Dreamcast used Windows CE Kernel, but most games actually didn't use it, they relied on Sega's software stacks instead due to performance/feature reasons, however Windows CE is based on a fork of the NT Kernel... But the underlying OS principles are very different to the Xbox Operating Systems. - Windows CE is a very modular/compartmentalized operating system.

On the OG Xbox Microsoft customized the NT5 (Aka. Windows 2000) kernel for the OG Xbox, they essentially took the NT5 kernel and stripped it as far back as possible to make it as lean and efficient as possible, it doesn't even have a registry for example.

It would be no different than saying the Playstation 4 is the spiritual successor to an Apple Mac or an Android Phone because despite the hardware sets being chalk and cheese, they are all derived from a fork of *Nix.

In regards to games, that is entirely down to personal taste, I haven't played many of Sega's games so I can't give critique there, but I did enjoy Fable and Halo o the OG Xbox back in the day.

Thanks for the insight.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Dreamcast. Easy.

Even though XBox does have KotOR, aka almost the greatest game ever made. Though that’s more of a PC game to me, so it doesn’t elevate the XBox much for me personally. This would be a lot different if I was my cousin though.

I loved playing both consoles so hard pick..

Dreamcast had Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, DOA 2, Powerstone, Shenmue, Quake 3, Sonic Adventure, RE: Code Veronica, Phantasy Star Online and Skies of Arcadia

Xbox. Had so much fun with Halo and DOA 3 multiplayer fun with friends. Also JSRF, Fable, The Chronicles of Riddick, Splinter Cell.

If I had to choose one though.. I'm slightly edging towards Dreamcast. Pure quality arcade games and excellent adventure games it was a shame it fell on its knees. What an awesome console with so many quality titles for its (albeit short) lifetime.

Objectively Xbox is better DC was ahead of its time but compared to the other platforms it would come up against it gets beaten out, in Xbox's case MS' first console is like DC2 I prefer DC but Xbox objectively is the better platform. Better online to the point it makes it mainstream for the console side of the industry, bigger library of games and like them or not Halo received the baton from Goldeneye in pushing FPS on consoles with its sequel showing console online shooters are heavily viable in the same way Goldeneye showed the genre in general was viable on consoles.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Dreamcast was better, OG Xbox was more important.

The onslaught of amazing titles that the DC saw in such a short span is something that will never be repeated.

Pretty much. Xbox paved way for more modern console design, starting with the controller and online integration.

I still miss old SEGA though (coming from a big Sega fan back in the day) and was sad to see them fall. Dreamcast was beasting with games.