By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thinking about getting Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Xxain said:
Shaunodon said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, it's 'middle-aged man dressing in Sailor Moon cosplay'. Either you need to become more open-minded, or you should really just wait for Shin Megami Tensei V. I mean if you've already got a backlog, there's no use in pressuring yourself to play a game you could hate.

"wont affect if I get it or not"

That was right before the weebo comment too. Don't focus too much part guys ( I just want to prepared); Is it a good game?

I know. I want to tell you more about it, but I've honestly not gotten around to playing it even after following it up to launch, and being really happy when it reviewed well.

My point still stands, "...if you've already got a backlog, there's no use in pressuring yourself to play a game you could hate."

There's at least 2 more big JRPGs releasing on Switch this year (Xenoblade and Bravely Default II), and since you're already working on a backlog, you should really consider relegating this if you're on the fence. Best advice I can give right now.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Yep it's Weebo. The music, the characters, the story etc.

Combat is some of the best combat I've seen though. It was really good. Plus you get a group attack and that was fun also.

Yeah, the game is a littly Weeby for my tastes, but the depth of the combat system was enough to keep me roped in. I really wish it had stronger ties to FE, though.

I actually included it on my Top 12 Wii U games - https://youtu.be/6SUglODVdXw

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I really need to try this game, but I fear this game is not going to go down in price anytime soon. And the retail versions are almost nonexistant here.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

NightlyPoe said:

I got about 12 hours in and stopped, so that's probably not a good sign.

Honestly, if they'd dubbed the thing I probably would have kept going.  I know we're all cool and like subs, but I'd rather just listen to a good English voice actor most of the time as long as the translation remains faithful.

That's the thing though, having English voice acting doesn't always mean you are going to be getting a "good" English voice actor.  Although in this case, I would have trusted Atlus' ability to get it done.  Square Enix, on the hand, I have often found to make the worst voice acting choices.

Mandalore76 said:
NightlyPoe said:

I got about 12 hours in and stopped, so that's probably not a good sign.

Honestly, if they'd dubbed the thing I probably would have kept going.  I know we're all cool and like subs, but I'd rather just listen to a good English voice actor most of the time as long as the translation remains faithful.

That's the thing though, having English voice acting doesn't always mean you are going to be getting a "good" English voice actor.  Although in this case, I would have trusted Atlus' ability to get it done.  Square Enix, on the hand, I have often found to make the worst voice acting choices.

Thats also the thing though. Im definitely not cool. :)  So, for some of us,  having no english dubs is as bad as having bad voice acting.  Just tried the sectet of mana demo. Was enjoying it until the 1st cutscene. Acting was bad and no effort was put into the lip sync. I was done after that. The difference a subtitled approach wouldve made is that I wouldnt have tried the demo in the 1st place. If ur good w subtitles then no biggie, but if u arent u shouldnt lower ur standards to support something u dont enjoy. That last bit is probably poorly worded but im sure u get the idea.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
I really need to try this game, but I fear this game is not going to go down in price anytime soon. And the retail versions are almost nonexistant here.

$36 on Amazon right now new

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Darwinianevolution said:

$36 on Amazon right now new

I try to avoid buying retail games online as much as I can, many gaming stores aren't in as good shape as they used to, much less after all of the quarantine.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Last edited by Leynos - on 30 April 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I enjoyed it very much. Great combat, and I have seen worse dungeon design. Side content outside of character development arcs are trash though.

All in all, an 8/10 from me as long as you look at it as its own game and not a cross over.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

RolStoppable said:
Xxain said:
Very polarized. Curl had me about ready to drop it, but Leynos has me rethinking. I loooove Grandia series.

curl-6 only watched his brother play the game, plus he loathes almost every JRPG there is.

I don't loathe JRPGs, at all. I like a lot of them; Xenoblade Chronicles was one of my top 10 games of the 2010s and I thoroughly enjoyed many others like its sequels, The Last Story, Monster Hunter Tri, etc.