By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite Sega console

I think the best is...

Master System 5 10.42%

Megadrive/Genesis 22 45.83%

Saturn 5 10.42%

Dreamcast 16 33.33%

Total:48

Which of Sega's 4 consoles do you like best, and why?

Around the Network

This is a tough one. The only one I don't own is the Master System (can obviously play the games on my Genny, but still). Gonna have to go with the Dreamcast with the Genesis at a VERY close second.

EDIT: Forgot the why - because the lineup was absolutely bonkers (Space Channel 5, Sea Man, Jet Grind Radio). Sega was green lighting everything for the DC and it was a thrill! 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Genesis, easily. The Genesis was comparable to one of Nintendo's best systems, the SNES. It is also the only Sega system I actually own and play. I tried buying a Dreamcast a couple of times, but they kept breaking down shortly after I bought them. My much older Genesis still plays games just fine and has a much bigger and better library. The Genesis is just plain awesome.

Genesis by a long shot. The Sonic Games, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Ristar, Golden Axe, Land Stalker, Shining Force, among a ton of others I don't have time to mention. Just a lot of quality stuff on the Genesis. I get Dreamcast, it was revolutionary and had freaking Skies of Arcadia, but the library of the Genesis was more robust, varied and fleshed out.

Only one I owned in its prime was the Dreamcast. I was conditioned to hate the Genesis.

Dreamscast.

Around the Network

The Master System. A bit because of nostalgia and a bit because of some really fun games. Also just love the sounds and graphics of many of the games.

DC

Master system for me, followed by their Game Gear.

Still waiting for that Alex Kidd 1 and Shinobi world remaster/port to this day. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 29 April 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Saturn, just because of the 32-bit RPGs like Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Second favorite is Sega CD, mostly because of Lunar and Lunar 2.

Genesis had the most solid library, but I'm a SNES guy.

Dreamcast then Saturn.

Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time. Saturn is up there as well. Such brilliant systems cut before their time. At least the Japanese library for both is amazing and Dreamcast is still getting homebrew games. 2D and 3D. In fact, a new 3D racing game is in the way and a Space Harrier clone. Worried my Saturn may die soon so I am glad I pre-ordered a Polymega.

I love all SEGA Systems tho. I will take an SMS over an NES any day of the week. Genesis and SNES tho is much closer to me. I'm mainly an RPG guy so SNES takes that but I love Genesis action games and the RPGs it does have. God I miss when consoles truly felt different than just the brand on the box. Yes I am old. So what. My profile age is when Saturn launched.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!