By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite Sega console

I think the best is...

Master System 5 10.42%

Megadrive/Genesis 22 45.83%

Saturn 5 10.42%

Dreamcast 16 33.33%

Total:48

By far the Dreamcast, its not even close. In fact I've been gaming for almost 30 years, and the best times I had was with the dreamcast, Sega rally, Sega GT, Skies of arcadia, jet set radio, Shenmue, Sonic adventure, Crazy taxi, Virtua tennis, resident evil code veronica, Soulcalibur, Phantasy star, Chu Chu rockets, Metropolis street racer and many other amazing games.

Best console ever, way underrated, and first time in my life I ever dipped into online.

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
 I tried buying a Dreamcast a couple of times, but they kept breaking down shortly after I bought them.

In what ways did they stop working? Most problems with the Dreamcast can be fixed by pulling out the PSU and cleaning it - no technical skills required (if I can do it, anyone can). Sometimes the laser will need a spit-shine too, but you don't even need to open the case for that. 

I'll agree that the Genny is more durable, but the model 1's do have a tendency towards cracked solder joints that can leave you looking at a black screen with audio still running. 

Both amazing systems, no doubt. I only recently got into the Saturn and have been enjoying it's library. I always wanted one as a kid, but definitely couldn't convince my parents to buy three Gen 5 systems :D

The PSU might actually be a problem on one of them.  I still have the unit, so I can try replacing it and see what happens.  Thanks for the tip. 

(The other one would scratch my discs among other issues.  I'm just not going to fool with that one.)

DreamCast although I didn't play that many games on it, I liked them a lot: Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Dead of Alive 2 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

Signature goes here!

Dreamcast, was ahead of its time in tech and software still have mine set up.

I've only had MegaDrive, so MegaDrive

Around the Network

Close, Genesis has the nostalgia. But Dreamcast has Powerstone and Skies of Arcadia

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dang, this is quite hard one. I love Saturn and Dreamcast at the same time because both lineups were pretty cool.

Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cops, Daytona, Sega Rally, Shining Force 3, Nights into Dreams, The House of Dead, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set/Grind Radio, Phantasy Star, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia...

I have fonder memories of the Genesis than I do the Dreamcast, plus I think its got a better library, so my vote goes for it. Tho the Dreamcast was good. Those were good days.

It's crazy. In mind, Sega was around for an eternity. Yet, they only made four full home consoles and really only one of those was what could be considered a success (in North America, at least).

Microsoft will be in the console business longer than Sega (if that hasn't already happened) and yet, to Sega is the legend and M$ and Sony are like newcomers. Time and perspective.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Bless your heart, those of you who voted Saturn. I have such a soft spot for that system.

When it comes to the best though it's definitely between Dreamcast and Megadrive for me; both were awesome systems but ultimately I think my fond memories of playing Megadrive at my cousin's place as a kid gives it the edge.

d21lewis said:

It's crazy. In mind, Sega was around for an eternity. Yet, they only made four full home consoles and really only one of those was what could be considered a success (in North America, at least).

Microsoft will be in the console business longer than Sega (if that hasn't already happened) and yet, to Sega is the legend and M$ and Sony are like newcomers. Time and perspective.

It was 16 years from the release of the Master System to the discontinuation of the Dreamcast, while Xbox has been on the go for 18 years, so yeah MS has now been in the game longer than Sega was.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.