By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [RUMOR] Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on The works, It was planned to be trilogy and HZ 2 planned for PS4 but shifted to PS5 to take advantage of new tech and architecture on PS5

Tagged games:

shikamaru317 said:

I'm shocked that they were even considering releasing it on PS4, glad they are shifting it over to PS5. Sounds like it probably won't be a launch title for PS5 though. Starting to wonder what Sony will have for launch, other than the rumored ports of TLOU 2, GT Sport, and Ghost of Tsushima. Will PS5 have any actual exclusives available on release besides the 2nd party Godfall? 

This kinda makes it sound like the supposed co-op game would be intended for launch window, or thereabouts, to tide people over until the actual sequel. Maybe something that was originally intended to be a multiplayer addition to Horizon 2, being split off because it'll be ready quicker, while they take their time with the single player campaign.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I'm shocked that they were even considering releasing it on PS4, glad they are shifting it over to PS5. Sounds like it probably won't be a launch title for PS5 though. Starting to wonder what Sony will have for launch, other than the rumored ports of TLOU 2, GT Sport, and Ghost of Tsushima. Will PS5 have any actual exclusives available on release besides the 2nd party Godfall? 

HZD2 Could definitely be a launch title or at least an early one. Santa Monica, Insomniac and Naughty Dog should also have been working on a ps5 title for a while now considering when they released their last game. Somehow I got a feeling the ps5 will have much stronger launch titles compared to the ps4.

This is VGC! ....what the hell is video games chronicles???

OP: Horizon was fantastic!! Cant wait for the sequel!!

shikamaru317 said:
goopy20 said:

HZD2 Could definitely be a launch title or at least an early one. Santa Monica, Insomniac and Naughty Dog should also have been working on a ps5 title for a while now considering when they released their last game. Somehow I got a feeling the ps5 will have much stronger launch titles compared to the ps4.

Well, by launch I mean the games that will be available at or soon after PS5' release Holiday 2020. PS4 had Killzone Shadowfall, Resogun, and Knack. So far the only PS5 launch window exclusive that has been announced is Godfall, a 2nd party game, which is a console exclusive but not a full exclusive, and we have rumors that Sony are working on PS5 ports of TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Grand Turismo Sport for the consoles launch. I personally don't see Horizon Zero Dawn 2, God of War 5, or Spider-Man 2 releasing until 2021 or 2022. Maybe if Insomniac still has 2 AAA teams we could get a new Ratchet & Clank at launch. 

Why would Sony shut down one of the teams? Also why do you think HZD2 and GoW would take so long to develop?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:

I don't see why Sony would do ports of PS4 titles since PS5 is BC. 

I actually feel this generation is shaping up to be the strongest launch in PS history. I think Bluepoint, Insomniac, and the team behind WiLD will have something ready for launch. Then there is MLB, GT7, HZD2, and a Japan studio title for the rest of 2021. And this of course is not factoring in any acquisitions.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

Why would Sony shut down one of the teams? Also why do you think HZD2 and GoW would take so long to develop?

Well, my thinking is that possibly most of Insomniac worked on Spider-Man, in which case there would not be enough dev time since Spider-Man released in August 2018 for a new Ratchet and Clank to have been made (only a bit more than 2 years between August 2018 and Holiday 2020). We know that Insomiac used to have 2 large teams because of their release schedule, Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus in 2013 and Sunset Overdrive in 2014, followed by Ratchet & Clank reboot in 2016, such a schedule would not have been possible without 2 large teams. We just don't know for sure if Insomniac kept their 2 team structure after Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet & Clank reboot, or if both teams combined to form the Spider-Man team. Hopefully they kept 2 teams and they've had a team working on a new Ratchet & Clank or maybe even a new Sunset Overdrive since before Spider-Man released. 

Horizon Zero Dawn took 6 years of partial development (February 2011- February 2017) and 3 years and 3 months of full development (November 2013-February 2017) to make. November 2020 is 3 years and 9 months since Horizon Zero Dawn released in February 2017. Guerilla Games has expanded from 250-337 devs since HZD released, but still 3 years and 9 months is not alot of dev time considering how much longer the 1st game took. And if this particular leak is to be believed, HZD will have an even larger map than the first game, plus development changed platforms partway through, from PS4 to PS5, which would have required assets that had already been made for the PS4 version to be remade in higher quality for PS5, which takes additional time. I just can't see HZD2 releasing before Holiday 2021 personally. Maybe we'll get the standalone co-op game mentioned in this leak sooner.

God of War 4 took about 4 years to develop (development began sometime in 2014 and it released May 2018). 2 years and 5 months will pass between God of War 4 and November 2020 when PS5 will likely release. Assuming that they took the time to retool their engine for PS5, I just can't see the game releasing with less than 3.5 years of development, which would make Holiday 2021 the likely release window. It might even get a full 4 years of development, which would put it's release in Q2 2022. 

We haven't seem news about they merging the teams so I would expect a R&C or similar size game for 2021 or earlier.

HZD was a new game, new engine and also they had to shutdown a project (years in the making) before going for HZD. So a sequel shouldn't take that much longer than 3 years to make (it is pretty normal time for an AAA game, 3 to 5 years). About assets we don't know if they didn't work similar to ND and PD making assets of quality much higher than what the console was able to handle and them strimming it down.

About GoW, launching window is about 6 months to even 1 year of console release, so there is possibility of it arrising in that timeframe although I agree it is less likely than the other 2.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Glad they’re rumored to be adding something that gives it replay value as the first game had zero. A big world is nice but I think even the most diehard ZD fan would admit the first game world was very lifeless and pretty dull, wasn’t much going on. So cool, make the world bigger but let’s also make it more interesting please.

I agree that it’s probably not a launch title either. Maybe a year two title.

CGI-Quality said:
shikamaru317 said:

Sony always has exclusives for their launches and 3/4 PS systems launched with at least two 1st Party ones. No reason to expect any different now, they know the importance, which is one of the reasons they're the only ones who will have full exclusives at launch.

As for Horizon, it could very well launch on PS5 (though I'm not expecting it). Instead, I'm sure some of their other in-house studios will have one-two properties ready to go (as they will be showcasing the capabilities of the PS5).

Knack 3 I'm ready.

I believe this rumor.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 24 April 2020

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
shikamaru317 said:
goopy20 said:

Well, by launch I mean the games that will be available at or soon after PS5' release Holiday 2020. PS4 had Killzone Shadowfall, Resogun, and Knack. So far the only PS5 launch window exclusive that has been announced is Godfall, a 2nd party game, which is a console exclusive but not a full exclusive, and we have rumors that Sony are working on PS5 ports of TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Grand Turismo Sport for the consoles launch. I personally don't see Horizon Zero Dawn 2, God of War 5, or Spider-Man 2 releasing until 2021 or 2022. Maybe if Insomniac still has 2 AAA teams we could get a new Ratchet & Clank at launch. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Godfall is obviously not a high profile exclusive, but I'm sure they'll show some of the good stuff when they'll do the official reveal. Maybe they're not all going to be launch titles but Sony has a habit of showing their big ip's early to generate buzz. My prediction is that they'll show glimpses of a new FF game, a new sci-fi ip from Naughty Dog, Spider man 2, HZD2, GOW2 and a bunch of hit and miss new 3rd party ip's like Godfall.