By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [RUMOR] Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on The works, It was planned to be trilogy and HZ 2 planned for PS4 but shifted to PS5 to take advantage of new tech and architecture on PS5

Tagged games:

I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn a lot. Looking forward to the sequel! :D

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I'm shocked that they were even considering releasing it on PS4, glad they are shifting it over to PS5. Sounds like it probably won't be a launch title for PS5 though. Starting to wonder what Sony will have for launch, other than the rumored ports of TLOU 2, GT Sport, and Ghost of Tsushima. Will PS5 have any actual exclusives available on release besides the 2nd party Godfall? 

This kinda makes it sound like the supposed co-op game would be intended for launch window, or thereabouts, to tide people over until the actual sequel. Maybe something that was originally intended to be a multiplayer addition to Horizon 2, being split off because it'll be ready quicker, while they take their time with the single player campaign.

HollyGamer said:

I can see the reason they are ported the first one to PC,  is to attract others (PC player) to play the sequel on consoles (PS5) beside selling more copies (just my theory ) . There is possibilities they will make the sequel exclusives.

This seems like a really poor reason to do this and I doubt Sony are porting for this reason. I think it is just market research, in which any PC owner (without a PS4) who does buy a PS5 after having played H1 on PC, is but 1 of many criteria they are looking at.

That is, I don't see why PC gamers, who didn't own a PS4, are now going to start buying PS5's because of Horizon. It could happen, I suppose.

On another note, I think co-op for their games makes sense. I doubt many will be campaign, but Sony have already got the SP narrative structure down. Adding co-op basically means they can turn these games into PS+ potential titles, without actually losing any goodwill because the games are still SP narrative games. 

PS5 game reveal event is going to be great, whenever it happens

shikamaru317 said:

I'm shocked that they were even considering releasing it on PS4, glad they are shifting it over to PS5. Sounds like it probably won't be a launch title for PS5 though. Starting to wonder what Sony will have for launch, other than the rumored ports of TLOU 2, GT Sport, and Ghost of Tsushima. Will PS5 have any actual exclusives available on release besides the 2nd party Godfall? 

HZD2 Could definitely be a launch title or at least an early one. Santa Monica, Insomniac and Naughty Dog should also have been working on a ps5 title for a while now considering when they released their last game. Somehow I got a feeling the ps5 will have much stronger launch titles compared to the ps4.

This is VGC! ....what the hell is video games chronicles???

OP: Horizon was fantastic!! Cant wait for the sequel!!

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
shikamaru317 said:

HZD2 Could definitely be a launch title or at least an early one. Santa Monica, Insomniac and Naughty Dog should also have been working on a ps5 title for a while now considering when they released their last game. Somehow I got a feeling the ps5 will have much stronger launch titles compared to the ps4.

Well, by launch I mean the games that will be available at or soon after PS5' release Holiday 2020. PS4 had Killzone Shadowfall, Resogun, and Knack. So far the only PS5 launch window exclusive that has been announced is Godfall, a 2nd party game, which is a console exclusive but not a full exclusive, and we have rumors that Sony are working on PS5 ports of TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Grand Turismo Sport for the consoles launch. I personally don't see Horizon Zero Dawn 2, God of War 5, or Spider-Man 2 releasing until 2021 or 2022. Maybe if Insomniac still has 2 AAA teams we could get a new Ratchet & Clank at launch. 

shikamaru317 said:
goopy20 said:

Well, by launch I mean the games that will be available at or soon after PS5' release Holiday 2020. PS4 had Killzone Shadowfall, Resogun, and Knack. So far the only PS5 launch window exclusive that has been announced is Godfall, a 2nd party game, which is a console exclusive but not a full exclusive, and we have rumors that Sony are working on PS5 ports of TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Grand Turismo Sport for the consoles launch. I personally don't see Horizon Zero Dawn 2, God of War 5, or Spider-Man 2 releasing until 2021 or 2022. Maybe if Insomniac still has 2 AAA teams we could get a new Ratchet & Clank at launch. 

Why would Sony shut down one of the teams? Also why do you think HZD2 and GoW would take so long to develop?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:

I don't see why Sony would do ports of PS4 titles since PS5 is BC. 

I actually feel this generation is shaping up to be the strongest launch in PS history. I think Bluepoint, Insomniac, and the team behind WiLD will have something ready for launch. Then there is MLB, GT7, HZD2, and a Japan studio title for the rest of 2021. And this of course is not factoring in any acquisitions.

DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

Why would Sony shut down one of the teams? Also why do you think HZD2 and GoW would take so long to develop?

Well, my thinking is that possibly most of Insomniac worked on Spider-Man, in which case there would not be enough dev time since Spider-Man released in August 2018 for a new Ratchet and Clank to have been made (only a bit more than 2 years between August 2018 and Holiday 2020). We know that Insomiac used to have 2 large teams because of their release schedule, Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus in 2013 and Sunset Overdrive in 2014, followed by Ratchet & Clank reboot in 2016, such a schedule would not have been possible without 2 large teams. We just don't know for sure if Insomniac kept their 2 team structure after Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet & Clank reboot, or if both teams combined to form the Spider-Man team. Hopefully they kept 2 teams and they've had a team working on a new Ratchet & Clank or maybe even a new Sunset Overdrive since before Spider-Man released. 

Horizon Zero Dawn took 6 years of partial development (February 2011- February 2017) and 3 years and 3 months of full development (November 2013-February 2017) to make. November 2020 is 3 years and 9 months since Horizon Zero Dawn released in February 2017. Guerilla Games has expanded from 250-337 devs since HZD released, but still 3 years and 9 months is not alot of dev time considering how much longer the 1st game took. And if this particular leak is to be believed, HZD will have an even larger map than the first game, plus development changed platforms partway through, from PS4 to PS5, which would have required assets that had already been made for the PS4 version to be remade in higher quality for PS5, which takes additional time. I just can't see HZD2 releasing before Holiday 2021 personally. Maybe we'll get the standalone co-op game mentioned in this leak sooner.

God of War 4 took about 4 years to develop (development began sometime in 2014 and it released May 2018). 2 years and 5 months will pass between God of War 4 and November 2020 when PS5 will likely release. Assuming that they took the time to retool their engine for PS5, I just can't see the game releasing with less than 3.5 years of development, which would make Holiday 2021 the likely release window. It might even get a full 4 years of development, which would put it's release in Q2 2022. 

PotentHerbs said:
shikamaru317 said:

I don't see why Sony would do ports of PS4 titles since PS5 is BC. 

I actually feel this generation is shaping up to be the strongest launch in PS history. I think Bluepoint, Insomniac, and the team behind WiLD will have something ready for launch. Then there is MLB, GT7, HZD2, and a Japan studio title for the rest of 2021. And this of course is not factoring in any acquisitions.

Better graphics are possible on ports than are possible through BC. Also it allows them to get lots of extra money from double dippers. The Last of Us 1 and 2 are quite comparable as they are both releasing towards the end of a console generation. The Last of Us 1 sold about 8m on PS3 and 9m+ on PS4. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to miss out on big double dip money like that thanks to BC. The BC version will be available for those who don't care about graphics as much, while the enhanced PS5 port will be available for those who do care about graphics. At least if the leak about those 3 ports turns out to be true anyway.

You bring up an interesting point about Wild, we haven't seen that game in ages now. Maybe they will re-reveal it as a PS5 title soon? Either that or the game is completely dead, thanks to Michel Ancel's focus moving from Wild to Beyond Good and Evil 2. 

Edit: Hmmm, apparently Wild Sheep Studio released new concept art for Wild recently. Maybe the game is still alive and being retooled for PS5. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 April 2020