By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 REMAKE ships and sells 3.5million in first 3 days

Kowan said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm not sure what out of stock means in this scenario though.

Could mean it's just sitting in a warehouse designated for a store that's not open right now.

It's out of stock on online stores.

You're assuming the online stores have access to all of the stock that would have been in store shelves.  When I worked retail, that wasn't the case.  There was a certain amount allotted to stores that would not be sold online.  There are products that showed up as sold out online, that were available in store.

I don't know how stores have changed things to meet the situation.  It's possible that they just put all of the stock into the online inventory, which seems to make a lot of sense.  But... especially in chaotic times like this, what makes sense is not always what happens.  There could also potentially be hiccups in the inventory process that means there could be boxes of copies that were shipped that are still not available in the system.

I'm not saying any of this IS the case, but I'm just saying that what applies in normal situations may not be applicable right now.  

Around the Network

Well deserved sales. The best Final Fantasy game since FF10 came out on PS2. Althought I haven't finished it yet, I think the game is the start of a new era for Square Enix. They stumbled and they fell down a few times since their glory days, but they have truly come full circle with this game. I really hope it fulfils the dream and sells more than 10 mil copies for them, there will be an Xbox and I assume PC edition next year to help with that.

A203D said:
Well deserved sales. The best Final Fantasy game since FF10 came out on PS2. Althought I haven't finished it yet, I think the game is the start of a new era for Square Enix. They stumbled and they fell down a few times since their glory days, but they have truly come full circle with this game. I really hope it fulfils the dream and sells more than 10 mil copies for them, there will be an Xbox and I assume PC edition next year to help with that.

I think it easily does 10 million. That's figures are the first 3 days so surely we can expect 5 million for the first week right? And like you say, that's just ps4. 

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Good sales, personally I'll hold off until the whole saga is available. I imagine there will be some waiting involved...

RolStoppable said:
An unimpressive number in this day and age, nevermind that it's a remake of a game that sold ~10m copies lifetime with its original release and has been highly anticipated since around five years. Issues with shipments of physical copies provide a temporary explanation for this low figure, but digital sales in America and Europe have been getting ever closer to 50% for PS4 games, so in the long run the sales of the remake might really not get all that great, because the currently unknown impact of too low physical inventory is not necessarily significant.

The reason why the 3.5m figure is unimpressive is Final Fantasy XV. That game with its mixed expectations could muster 5m first week, but here we are talking about Final Fantasy VII with a modern facelift.

FFXV shipped a million retail in japan for its first day and did not sell through it until many months later when it hit bottom of the barrel prices. FF7R shipped a bit more than 700k and has already sold through all of that while also having a 30% digital ratio. FFXV was over shipped and that’s why it looks much more impressive 

Around the Network

FFXV was released in 2 platforms. FF7R only PS4. Hence the first sold more than the later in less time. Not worth buying a PS4 at this rate with next gen systems coming just for a game.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 22 April 2020

RolStoppable said:
MasonADC said:

FFXV shipped a million retail in japan for its first day and did not sell through it until many months later when it hit bottom of the barrel prices. FF7R shipped a bit more than 700k and has already sold through all of that while also having a 30% digital ratio. FFXV was over shipped and that’s why it looks much more impressive 

Yeah, the overshipment of Final Fantasy XV muddies the waters a bit. In the long run VII Remake should outpace XV, but it's still an unimpressive start in this day and age where blockbuster games routinely ship several million copies first week.

It’s still an exclusive JRPG shipping 3.5 million in 3 days in a non holiday quarter. If they have already sold all that they have shipped, I can’t fathom how this is unimpressive 

RolStoppable said:
MasonADC said:

It’s still an exclusive JRPG shipping 3.5 million in 3 days in a non holiday quarter. If they have already sold all that they have shipped, I can’t fathom how this is unimpressive 

Because the qualifiers you use have the opposite effect of what you aim for. Being a JRPG doesn't mean anything here, because we are talking about Final Fantasy, not a Tales or an Atelier game. Likewise, exclusivity can hardly be viewed as something detrimental when the console that has been left out (Xbox One) doesn't have much of a JRPG audience, so that's not a real loss.

Also, when I say unimpressive, I don't mean bad or weak. It's along the lines of "FF VII shipped 3.5m first week. That's it? Okay."

I believe that in the UK FFXV had a 80:20 share. While things aren’t exact, if FFXV had a million copies on Xbox one for the first day, that is a lot. So yes, being an exclusive did hurt. Couple that with the trouble of shipping physical copies and sell through being really high, I wouldn’t just think “that’s ok”. We will have to see when they announce the next mile stones for the people who don’t think this is great to change their mind though 

RolStoppable said:
MasonADC said:

I believe that in the UK FFXV had a 80:20 share. While things aren’t exact, if FFXV had a million copies on Xbox one for the first day, that is a lot. So yes, being an exclusive did hurt. Couple that with the trouble of shipping physical copies and sell through being really high, I wouldn’t just think “that’s ok”. We will have to see when they announce the next mile stones for the people who don’t think this is great to change their mind though 

Well, you won't change my mind about its start. The initial shipment figure will remain the same, after all. In the long run I expect VII to outpace XV, like I already said.

I haven’t read anything to make me think that it’s anything less than a great start 

CuCabeludo said:

FFXV was released in 2 platforms. FF7R only PS4. Hence the first sold more than the later in less time. Not worth buying a PS4 at this rate with next gen systems coming just for a game.

Thats something tactically very wise from Square Enix. They will (imo) clearly rerelease the game as a remaster when the PS5 and new Xbox come out. It will be like a console launch title, which is something Rockstar did with GTA 5 and Naughty Dog did with The Last of Us. I think eventually the game will do really well. Its really a phenominal game. Theres a few things I could nitpick, but it is the finest Final Fantasy game since FF10. I have high hopes for Square with this one.