By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think about FF VII Remake Cutscenes/Gameplay proportion?

So... for the past few days, Youtube has been bombarding me with FF VII Remake videos. And one of them is apparently a collection of all the cutscenes in the game. The video is 15 hours long (obviously contains spoilers)

Spoiler!
Spoiler text.

I mean, I haven't played the game, so maybe people find this a non issue or a even a good thing and I'm doing this thread for nothing. But from an outsider perspective... 15 hours of cutscenes in a 30-40 hour game seems like an absurd proportion of the story part to me. There are JRPGs that can take twice or thrice more time than FF VII Remake to complete... and they have the same or less cutscene time. FF VII Remake almost has a 50/50 division between interactive and non interactive segments and I'm not sure I've seen a proportion as big towards the story in a JRPG before (in good JRPGs at least).

So, to the people who have played or are playing the game: do you feel like the game could use more gameplay time? Or do you feel like having this much cutscenes is a good thing and/or a non issue at all? Maybe you guys enjoy the cutscenes so much that they want a lot of it...

And for the ones who have not played the game: what do you think abou this from an outsiders perspective?

Around the Network

More cutscenes the better imo lol

think-man said:
More cutscenes the better imo lol

The more I think about it, the more I think I get that point. This is a (choose between remake/reboot/reimagination) of a very beloved game with a story that leaved a strong impact on many people. So... I guess people really enjoy the recreation of certain scenes with cutting edge visuals and improved writting and non verbal expression. Maybe they can't get enough of that xD

Still... I still find 50/50 to be a ridiculous percentage xD

Hmm... I've seen another video that takes about 9 hours. So... I guess ACTUAL cutscenes is less than 15 hours. That seems more reasonable ^^

Vodacixi said:
Hmm... I've seen another video that takes about 9 hours. So... I guess ACTUAL cutscenes is less than 15 hours. That seems more reasonable ^^

The same as ffx.

Basically there are still as much cutscenes as usual, with more dialogues within combat and exploration which speed up the game as in most modern JRPGs ?

I have yet to boot the game.

Around the Network

It's pretty much on par with every other FF game, including the original.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

To keep it short: The cutscenes are all (or most) great and in no way, shape or form minimize the gameplay time or experience. Nor do they feel anticlimatic, its quite the opposite. I wouldnt say its in a different proportion than your average FF game, at least doesnt feel like it is. Im personally loving the game so far.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 13 April 2020

Playing it now (even though there devil is doing all he can to stop me). So far, it feels fine. This is my first time actually hearing the game's length, though. It's a little concerning.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 13 April 2020

vivster said:
It's pretty much on par with every other FF game, including the original.

Perfect. I would compare the beginning of FF7 Remake to the beginning of FFX in regards to cutscene/gameplay. The minute you get sector 7 slums the game stops the with introduction phase. @Vodacixi - Give it a rest man. 

I love cutscene, eye candy and everything, so if they are good I will love it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."